AUDEZE LCD XC
Mar 11, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,921 of 4,158
Hoping someone may have an answer for me.

Borrowing a set of LCD-XCs and the previous owner had noted that they don't seal well. Upon looking closer, one of the brackets was loose (shown in picture above my post) I tightened it down a bit, fixed the ill-fitting issue. Of course I don't want to strip or round off the single mounting screw on these. I could always ship to Audeze to take a look at them. Otherwise, is there a torque spec somewhere for how tight these screws should be?

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,922 of 4,158
Currently own both. The LCD-2 has more quantity and the XC has more quality/texture. I peg the difference to be from the speed of the XC driver which has better decay and detail in bass notes. The LCD-2 sounds slower in comparison. To me it's worth twice the price.

Also own both, and I would agree with this. My LCD-2.2 is more syrupy. 250 bucks and Audeze will throw fazors in it but it's not really worth the investment for my work stack- where I'm not exactly closing my eyes and kicking back to listen to tunes.

Understandably, the LCD-2 has a wider sound stage given it's open nature. I also am able to easily wear the LCD-2 40 hours a week- the LCD XC is a better can in my opinion overall but the weight is notable after a 4 hour listening session. Still though- paired with my Mjolnir and Gungnir I wouldn't trade them for anything- I am very very happy and I've owned the XC since it came out.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,923 of 4,158
If anyone has owned LCD-2 before, what is the key area that XC is better at, beyond isolation of course...?
Is the bass less/equal/better in depth/tactility ?

Hi
Imo, XC has slightly better clarity, imaging, depth of field and sound stage compare to lcd 2. But, it has a tendency for a certain music to get peaky and sharp.
I found XC to be best for listening analog based recording like, Eagles and alike, acoustic jazz and classic. It really brings out the best of it whilst with more modern music tend to be a little sharp.
I found XC has punchier bass and more pointed/defined while 2 has more slam and meaty tonality.

Both are excellent but I found lcd 2 to be more all a rounder.

One more for XC, you need to get a copper litz type cables to give it more oomph and smooth out the peak.

Cheers
Andrew

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,924 of 4,158
One more for XC, you need to get a copper litz type cables to give it more oomph and smooth out the peak.

I totally agree there is a need to upgrade the stock cable to extract the best performance from the XCs. I use a Double Helix cable that works quite well.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,925 of 4,158

I totally agree there is a need to upgrade the stock cable to extract the best performance from the XCs. I use a Double Helix cable that works quite well.

which DHC cable are you using ?  for my LCD-X, I am hesitating between the COMPLEMENT 4 and the MOLECULE Extreme.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,926 of 4,158

which DHC cable are you using ?  for my LCD-X, I am hesitating between the COMPLEMENT 4 and the MOLECULE Extreme.

Because I wanted something highly flexible, I bought the Molecule SE Synergy for my XCs. I was quite happy with the improvements over the stock cable.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,927 of 4,158
Currently using Cardas Clear Light cable. It is highly microphonic which drives me crazy (I will be selling it).
Looking for recommendations for a truly silent cable. Don't need fancy/expensive, just a good solid cable.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,928 of 4,158
Currently using Cardas Clear Light cable. It is highly microphonic which drives me crazy (I will be selling it).
Looking for recommendations for a truly silent cable. Don't need fancy/expensive, just a good solid cable.

Not inexpensive, but the Q Audio cable has zero microphonics. I've never heard any cable related noise with mine.

I'm sure there are other/cheaper alternatives but don't have personal experience with them.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,929 of 4,158
Not inexpensive, but the Q Audio cable has zero microphonics. I've never heard any cable related noise with mine.

I'm sure there are other/cheaper alternatives but don't have personal experience with them.

Not as bad as the Cardas I have now, price wise.
Will see what other recommendations I get, but may just get that one.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,930 of 4,158
I've bought 3rd party cables for additional reach and durability.  I have not heard any noise issues even using the stock cables driven by either Bryston BHA-1 or SPL Phonitor (original).

I have cables from Charleston Cable Company.  You can get cables at various price ranges.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,931 of 4,158
  I've bought 3rd party cables for additional reach and durability.  I have not heard any noise issues even using the stock cables driven by either Bryston BHA-1 or SPL Phonitor (original).

I have cables from Charleston Cable Company.  You can get cables at various price ranges.

Microphonics is not a strictly accurate term, though it is commonly used. The problem is the cable jacket picks up vibrations as it rubs against you and other objects, these vibrations are conducted up the cable into the headphone housing, and is presented as a sound from the headphone. It is mechanical end to end, so is amplifier independent. Techflex, which most cables (including Charleston) is especially bad with this. Most people don't notice the noise, but some (including me) do.

The Q Audio seems to be unique (at least at a semi-sane price point) with a silk insulation/covering. I don't believe the covering affects sound quality, but it should be completely mechanically quiet, so I bit the bullet and ordered one.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,932 of 4,158
  Microphonics is not a strictly accurate term, though it is commonly used. The problem is the cable jacket picks up vibrations as it rubs against you and other objects, these vibrations are conducted up the cable into the headphone housing, and is presented as a sound from the headphone. It is mechanical end to end, so is amplifier independent. Techflex, which most cables (including Charleston) is especially bad with this. Most people don't notice the noise, but some (including me) do.

The Q Audio seems to be unique (at least at a semi-sane price point) with a silk insulation/covering. I don't believe the covering affects sound quality, but it should be completely mechanically quiet, so I bit the bullet and ordered one.

I just wanted to say that I don't use techflex, but nylon multifilament sleeving.  It's basically the same stuff t-shirts are made out of. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,933 of 4,158
  I just wanted to say that I don't use techflex, but nylon multifilament sleeving.  It's basically the same stuff t-shirts are made out of. 
smily_headphones1.gif

My apologies for jumping to that conclusion, I should have asked first, and I stand corrected.
The Cardas I have is definitely techflex (or equivalent) and is quite noisy.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,935 of 4,158

I have tried 4 cables on my XC, the Q Audio cable has been the best match so far. Gives the best treble tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back