AUDEZE LCD XC
Dec 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,787 of 4,142
So I spent about 3 hours auditioning the 3 headphones. I am pleased to say I pretty much fell in love with the LCD-XC. I like their sound better than the HD800 and the seal was excellent. I tested with an employee at max level he could barely hear anything and same for me.

I am going to order a headphone amp form audio-gd first, then go pick up the LCD-XC.

My question now is is about the vegan earpads. Has anyone listened to the LCD-XC with the vegan earpads? How do they effect the seal? Negative, positive or same?

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,788 of 4,142
Santa brought a wonderful headphone stand, or at least that's what it is right now.

Might take a while to 'empty' the stand. :D

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,789 of 4,142
Can someone give me a break down of how they feel the LCD-XC compares to the LCD-3 and the HD800?

I am looking at buying headphones mostly for my desktop. It will be paired with a high end dac/amp unit from audio-gd (Haven't decided which model yet). I am considering the HD800, LCD3 and LCD-XC. I am mostly interested in the LCD-XC because it is closed. Sealing sound is why I am considering the LCD-XC. If the seal is not great, I will opt for the LCD-3/HD800. Outside of how well it seals, how does it compare to the LCD-3/HD800?

The prices locally for the HD800/LCD-CX/LCD-3 are $1,200/$1,995,/$2,195.

I would like the LCD-XC because it is closed. But if it fails to seal well, I'd prefer to save my money and get the HD800. However, if it the LCD-3 is really that much better than the HD800 that is can justify the additional cost, I am willing to spring for that.

I'm picking this up a bit late but have just bought a pair of the XC's and have the 3's and a modded pair of HD800's already. I bought the XC's for my bedside rig because the leakage from the T1's I was using irritated my wife. My initial impressions are "wow" what an improvement in terms of the top end over my 3's which I enjoy most of the time but occasionally frustrate me because I want greater high end sparkle than they deliver, IMO great for accoustic and female vocals not so good for classical. They don't completely isolate as my wife can still hear them at moderate volumes but not at low volumes, I don't tend to bend my eardrums with volume and I'm not a bass head. Early days but I'm very impressed so far. As far as sound stage and preferred phones are concerned currently it would be the modded HD800's for me, certainly for classical, I love the 3's with female vocals and jazz/blues. Both the 3's and HD800's have a wider soundstage but both leak sound quite considerably when compared with the XC's. And of cause all of this is amp/DAC cable variable.... Best to audition if you can.

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,790 of 4,142
I recently upgraded to the XCs after selling some of my other head-fi gear.  The XCs sound fantastic on all my amps from my Calyx M, Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, and Pioneer Elite SC-05 AVR.  In fact even the first two have no problems driving the XCs.  I'm probably most amazed at how well the inexpensive Dragonfly does with the XCs.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,791 of 4,142
I recently upgraded to the XCs after selling some of my other head-fi gear.  The XCs sound fantastic on all my amps from my Calyx M, Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, and Pioneer Elite SC-05 AVR.  In fact even the first two have no problems driving the XCs.  I'm probably most amazed at how well the inexpensive Dragonfly does with the XCs.

Yeah, they hit the right formula with efficiency on these, but they also scale a bit with more powerful amps. Not as much as the LCD-2's. Nice to be able to plug the XC in to almost everything and not be disappointed.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #1,793 of 4,142
how are u wearing the headband...seated more to the front of the skull-top?
u are not getting a good seal? 

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,795 of 4,142
i wear it with the headband forward from the top of the skull...not directly on top.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,797 of 4,142
take out the pads...look at the plastic slots...make sure the edge of the leather aint blocking....

aim.......press in.......

rotate... 

it should lock...

else go back to step 1 above...

repeat...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,798 of 4,142
I thought the LCD-XC pads are glued-on and can't be re-attached without buying new ones?

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,799 of 4,142
Isn't the issue with the cups, not the ear pads? The pic doesn't look right. I'd check the way the yolk is sitting in the earcup and GENTLY see if it can be seated in, if it isn't already. Or compare the way the rods attach to the yolks. The small nub the rods attach to should be angled about 45°, if yours are bent this may be the issue.

I'd send the pic to Audeze and see what they say.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,800 of 4,142
  I thought the LCD-XC pads are glued-on and can't be re-attached without buying new ones?

That's what I was told when I contacted Audeze 10 months ago ... perhaps current XCs have been changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back