AUDEZE LCD XC
Dec 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,756 of 4,151
  I had the chance to listen to the LCD-2F LCD-3F LCD-XC and LCD-X

The LCD-X was to me the best of the bunch for "neutrality". The LCD-XC was somewhere between the LCD-3F and LCD-X in terms of sound but with a more enclosed feeling (but probably the most open closed can I heard so far). The LCD-2F was the one with most bass but lacked a bit on definition. The LCD-3F was less neutral then the X or the XC, closer to the LCD-2, but with all the definition (warmer then the X or XC, not as bright with mid a bit more in background).

So because I wanted something different then the T1, I took the LCD-3F, but I really liked the metallic design of the LCD-X. To me, and that's my opinion only, the LCD-X sounded like a superior headphone overall for fidelity of reproduction, but the LCD-3F was "funnier" and more lay back without compromising too much, which is what I was looking for. 

I've auditioned all of the above Audeze models at home except for the LCD-2F, and your experiences mirror my own. As I wanted a single fun and neutral can, I opted for the LCD-X. With just minor EQ tweaks I can get it to sound however I want. It's a veritable Swiss Army Knife. Using the Phonitor 2 to add some quality crossfeed really seals the deal.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,757 of 4,151

I am having trouble sleeping already just thinking about it.

Btw, are u the crazy guy I read somewhere who went hiking with LCD XC on ?

yep, that was me .
biggrin.gif

I used to live in La Honda, a small town in the Santa Cruz mountains about 40 miles south of San Francisco. Anyway, a favorite activity was hiking in the mountains, so when I got my XCs I used them on my hikes along with my 240. Nowadays, I live in San Francisco, in the Sunset District, so when I go for one of my long hikes I use my ESW9s so I'm less conspicuous. The ESW9s are a great little set of headphones, but my hikes are, from an aural sense, not as pleasurable as they used to be.

I'm now considering the brand new ESW9LTDs but I'm waiting to hear more impressions ...

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #1,758 of 4,151
I used to live in Montclair Oakland and I miss "the city". What a beautiful little place, vibrant and fresh !

I heard ESW9s got a nice bass.

I am also looking at portable headphones for traveling and vacumming around the house and I am looking at Beyerdynamic T51p and Senn HD25 Alu as well as Aedle VK-1. The XC doesn't really stay on my head when I have to look up and down.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,759 of 4,151

I've auditioned all of the above Audeze models at home except for the LCD-2F, and your experiences mirror my own. As I wanted a single fun and neutral can, I opted for the LCD-X. With just minor EQ tweaks I can get it to sound however I want. It's a veritable Swiss Army Knife. Using the Phonitor 2 to add some quality crossfeed really seals the deal.

I did not had a chance to audition them at home, only at the store, but I took the time that it takes to see all the small difference between each model. The LCD-X is such a nice set of can, it's like nearly as neutral as a T1, but without all the sibilance and "lack" of bass of the T1. I don't think the T1 actually lack of bass, but when you compare them to the sound signature of Audeze, they do. Now that's why I would say that they are "nearly" as neutral. But still, I would swap my T1 for a set of LCD-X any time. Who really do like a neutral life...

An other point for me to go with the LCD-3F was the impedance (110ohm). My amp, the auditor, is better for high impedance headphone so I went with the LCD-3F hoping it will fit. So far I'm very impressed with the sound, not sure if I got the LCD-XC it would have been a good match. Does your Phonitor 2 is recommended as well for high impedance load like the Phonitor 1 (who have the same amp than the auditor) or that new amp can support lower impedance load like your LCD-XC? (which I think is 20 ohm) Have you ever tried them with the Phonitor 1?

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,760 of 4,151
An other point for me to go with the LCD-3F was the impedance (110ohm). My amp, the auditor, is better for high impedance headphone so I went with the LCD-3F hoping it will fit. So far I'm very impressed with the sound, not sure if I got the LCD-XC it would have been a good match. Does your Phonitor 2 is recommended as well for high impedance load like the Phonitor 1 (who have the same amp than the auditor) or that new amp can support lower impedance load like your LCD-XC? (which I think is 20 ohm) Have you ever tried them with the Phonitor 1?

The Phonitor 1 and the Auditor both have a headphone output impedance of 9 Ohm making them less suited for lower impedance cans. The Phonitor 2 has a headphone output impedance of just 0.18 Ohm and has no problem driving even my low impedance Shure SE846 IEMs @ 9 Ohm. However, with those I can hear a very small amount of hiss due to their high sensitivity of 114 dB SPL/mW. Obviously the amp was never designed for driving such sensitive IEMs, I was just curious to see how it fared.

I've never read anything about either SPL amp having any difficulties driving high impedance cans. During a recent Danish head-fi meet a few months ago, I heard the HD800 balanced out of the rear XLR outputs of the Phonitor 2. The amp drove the HD800 with no issues and it even drove a HiFiMAN HE-6 once we switched the +12 dB gain switch on for additional headroom. The HE-6 owner seemed pleased with what he heard.

For the technically interested my Totaldac has a max output voltage level of ~6.2Vrms (+18 dBu) from its balanced outputs. At unity gain the Phonitor 2 can then deliver up to ~750 mW into a 50 Ohm load (HE-6). However, switching on the aforementioned +12 dB gain switch the Phonitor 2 is able to deliver up to 12 Watt into a 50 Ohm load. This is the very upper limit for the Phonitor 2, but most sources have much lower output levels than the Totaldac. These less powerful sources will benefit from amps such as the Schiit Ragnarok. With its higher max gain level (+26 dB) it is able to push huge amounts of power into hungry cans such as the HE-6, guaranteed to make your ears bleed well before the amp reaches its limits.

Going back to your question: No, I've never heard a Phonitor 1 or an Auditor. The Phonitor 2 has absolutely no problems with any of the Audeze cans. My brothers and I are going to gift my father with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 for Christmas, so afterwards I might get an opportunity to hear the Phonitor 2 with them.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,761 of 4,151
Hello,

Hope I can get a few opinions?

I'm listening and enjoying the T5p's though will need to decide to keep these vs buying either the Fostex 900's or the Audeze XC's.

Haven't heard the latter two HPs though wonder about comments of a recessed midrange on the Fostex and the weight of the Audeze.

FYI, I listen to all types of music though more jazz than anything. And I definitely need a closed back HP.

All thoughts much appreciated!

Shmuel

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,762 of 4,151
Hello,

Hope I can get a few opinions?

I'm listening and enjoying the T5p's though will need to decide to keep these vs buying either the Fostex 900's or the Audeze XC's.

Haven't heard the latter two HPs though wonder about comments of a recessed midrange on the Fostex and the weight of the Audeze.

FYI, I listen to all types of music though more jazz than anything. And I definitely need a closed back HP.

All thoughts much appreciated!

Shmuel

Shmuel,

TTVJ graciously lent me both the Fostex 900's and the Audeze XC's to compare. Both were quite good. For my ears, I prefered (an bought) the XC's.

The Fostex sounded a little more "condensed" in the headstage, with slightly less air around the instruments. Vocals were a touch more full sounding. The only negative I found (while using the headphone amp within the exaSound e22 DAC) was that sibilance was occasionally emphasized. As I am quite sensitive to this, it was a deal breaker.

The XC's weight does not bother me at all. Once on, I barely notice them. The sound, especially in the bass regions is astounding. The amount of detail and color within the lower frequencies is wonderful. The treble is also very smooth with no listener fatigue. It also does not hurt that the wood exterior is beautiful.

I plan on auditioning the XC's with the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP integrated and the McIntosh headphone amp this weeked. It should be interesting to see the differences.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,763 of 4,151
4N6,
I appreciate the input.
I am working with Brian from RazorDog: he has been a pleasure to work with! His top recommendation is the XC. I know Drew at Moon Audio prefers the Fostex.
The Beyerdynamic T5p are amazing in many ways though a bit too biting in the highs and a bit light in the bass. I like its openness, clarity and musicality.
Any further thoughts comparing the Fostex & Audeze always appreciated.
Shmuel

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,764 of 4,151
4N6,
Another quick question: does the weight preclude using while working at ones desk? Any slippage when looking up and down, etc? Are they so big that sitting at Starbucks would be a bit too attention-drawing?
Shmuel

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,765 of 4,151
If you want better sound, buy Audeze. If you want comfort, buy Fostex. I had TH900 and they are super comfy and light. You can wear them for hours without fatigue. XC is on the heavy side. I tried to work wearing them and couldn't pass even an hour. My neck was killing me. Sound wise, I prefer Audeze. Warm and lush, very natural. TH900 is V shaped and sound artificial to my ears. I ended up selling Fostexs and keeping XC for night listening when laying in bed.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #1,767 of 4,151
4N6,
Another quick question: does the weight preclude using while working at ones desk? Any slippage when looking up and down, etc? Are they so big that sitting at Starbucks would be a bit too attention-drawing?
Shmuel

Shmuel,

I wear mine at work everyday, and can work at the computer with no problem. The weight issue is a personal one. I have no complaints with the weight of the XCs, whereas Vladzakhar does. No right or wrong here, just personal preference. As you mentioned earlier, you will have to try them both out and see for yourself.

Just to add to your challenge...you may also want to consider/audition the new McIntosh headphone. It is also closed, quite light and comfortable, and sounds terrific.

Good luck!

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,769 of 4,151
4N6,
Shmuel

I find the XCs to be a very comfortable headphone, one that I can wear for hours. The weight has never been an issue, even when hiking in the mountains with them.

As to being conspicuous at a Starbucks, well, yes, you would get a lot of looks, but that would be due to the beauty of the XCs as much as to its size.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,770 of 4,151
Well...after all the listening and reading, I have decided on the Audeze ( I think!)

Now the only, final question in my mind is the new McIntosh HP. I have a long history of liking, admiring and desiring their gear. I have read amazing things of their HP amp and surely wonder about their recently released HP.

OH, and what about the 'giant killer' MrSpeakers Alpha Primes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back