Mini to mini Crystal Cable Dream Line DIY
Lightning to USB from japan brand
Music file : WAV mandarin Audiophile and jazz

High : very Clear and clean , excellent clarity
Mid : very sweet With very Good clarity
Bass : very clean depp bass impact and very Good detail
Separation : very Good that i can detect The musician placement very accurate
Soundstage : Wide and Depth , For Close headphone is very Good

Overall: very sweet and intimate SQ that i can hear For many hours Without fatigue
One of best portable set Up that can drive LCD XC In Audiophile sound quality

IMO

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,085 of 4,137
  I'm starting to think that the Oppo BDP-95 universal player (my source) is the culprit when it comes to the brightness (or prominence) I'm experiencing in the upper mids, since it seems like I am one of the few who is mildly troubled by this.

The brightness I initially reported when I got my XCs a week ago has diminished quite a bit—I have about 150 hours on them by now. I still find the XC to be a bit on the yang side of neutral, but the articulation of low level detail is quite amazing. I'm working on getting a balanced cable with a 2.5mm TRRS plug so I can try the balanced out of my AK240. Additionally, I'm contemplating buying a RSA SR-71B from a fellow member to improve the bass weight and slam; driven directly by my 240 I find the bass on the lean side..

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,086 of 4,137
I'm starting to think that the Oppo BDP-95 universal player (my source) is the culprit when it comes to the brightness (or prominence) I'm experiencing in the upper mids, since it seems like I am one of the few who is mildly troubled by this.

You're NOT alone. I hear the same prominence in the upper mids and treble regions with the XC's from all amps and DAC's. I call them the ortho for HD800 fans.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,087 of 4,137
Just made a wonderful discovery! It so happens that I own the Hifiman EF-6 headphone amp, which I had relegated to gathering dust in the closet since my other headphone amps drove my headphones better than that black, brick-like, ugly monstrosity.  Well, I took it out, hooked it up, plugged the XCs in, and...boy, oh boy...finally an undisputed winner with the XCs.  Had tried the Darkstar, the Conductor, the Headroom ultra desktop amp, the Grace 902B, the Lyr and Mjolnir, and there was always that upper-mid range prominence (or dare I say, glare) that I tended to find somewhat troublesome.  Now I need to get the black dragon (moon-audio) interconnects to squeeze the last one or two percent out of the XCs, and I'm done with the tinkering.  These damned headphones sound so open that I can't believe they are closed.  Wow..now I am floored.  So glad I didn't sell the EF-6!

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,088 of 4,137

The brightness I initially reported when I got my XCs a week ago has diminished quite a bit—I have about 150 hours on them by now. I still find the XC to be a bit on the yang side of neutral, but the articulation of low level detail is quite amazing. I'm working on getting a balanced cable with a 2.5mm TRRS plug so I can try the balanced out of my AK240. Additionally, I'm contemplating buying a RSA SR-71B from a fellow member to improve the bass weight and slam; driven directly by my 240 I find the bass on the lean side..

I used the ak120 > intruder > lcd-x, was a bad combination... Compared to my mjolnir gungnir combination

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,089 of 4,137
  Just made a wonderful discovery! It so happens that I own the Hifiman EF-6 headphone amp, which I had relegated to gathering dust in the closet since my other headphone amps drove my headphones better than that black, brick-like, ugly monstrosity.  Well, I took it out, hooked it up, plugged the XCs in, and...boy, oh boy...finally an undisputed winner with the XCs.  Had tried the Darkstar, the Conductor, the Headroom ultra desktop amp, the Grace 902B, the Lyr and Mjolnir, and there was always that upper-mid range prominence (or dare I say, glare) that I tended to find somewhat troublesome.  Now I need to get the black dragon (moon-audio) interconnects to squeeze the last one or two percent out of the XCs, and I'm done with the tinkering.  These damned headphones sound so open that I can't believe they are closed.  Wow..now I am floored.  So glad I didn't sell the EF-6!

Hi figaro,

How many hours do you have on your XCs? Are you using the stock cable? I ask because I was initially very disappointed with the upper mids, in fact, I thought I might have to sell my brand new XCs, but the more burn-in time I put on them, the better they sound. I have around 130 or so hours now, and the upper mids have relaxed ... they're still on the articulate, forward side, but nowhere like before.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,090 of 4,137
I should add that the change in sound could also be the AK240 settling in—about 200 hours on it now. I'm looking for just a bit more improvement and I will be a very happy camper.

One thing though, some here on this thread have described the bass on the XCs as extended with weight/slam. I don't find this at all. The bass is improving like everything else, but it is nowhere like the addictive bass I got on my Denon D7000s.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,091 of 4,137

Hi figaro,

How many hours do you have on your XCs? Are you using the stock cable? I ask because I was initially very disappointed with the upper mids, in fact, I thought I might have to sell my brand new XCs, but the more burn-in time I put on them, the better they sound. I have around 130 or so hours now, and the upper mids have relaxed ... they're still on the articulate, forward side, but nowhere like before.

They have just about 50-75 hours in them.  Using the moon-audio black dragon headphone replacement cable.  Curiously enough, the upper-mids "thing" happens more with early classical music (e.g., Bach...maybe the "authentic instruments" used in many of these recordings can be to blame) than with big orchestral pieces.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,093 of 4,137
  They have just about 50-75 hours in them.  Using the moon-audio black dragon headphone replacement cable.  Curiously enough, the upper-mids "thing" happens more with early classical music (e.g., Bach...maybe the "authentic instruments" used in many of these recordings can be to blame) than with big orchestral pieces.

Give them another 100 hours to cook and I think you'll find the sound gets much better. I just leave mine on 24/7 with loud music from my 240 playing through them. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,094 of 4,137

XC has more bass, the sound sign is closer to TH900 than the X. X is more neutral and sound stage is better. Personally, I prefer the XC.

Just received my XC today. WOW! Paired with the black dragon cable, the combination sounds nearly perfect for my ears. 

So far better than my X but still awaiting a Toxic silver cable to listen with and compare (which I expect will make a huge difference). The black dragon cable with the X sounded too dark and deep. With stock cable, X sounds a little muffled but more neutral.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,095 of 4,137
I am considering the LCD-XC but am a bit concerned about the weight. I could tolerate the LCD-2 but I see the XC is even heavier.

Do any XC owners find the weight bothersome? Is the weight still evenly distributed like the LCD-2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back