AUDEZE LCD XC
Mar 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,051 of 4,151
  I'm experiencing the same thing.  The upper mids have become substantially less prominent the more time I spend with them, which makes me very happy.

I had the same experience. I am hoping amplifier selection will get it the rest of the way there but I am not going to make any decisions until my Geek Pulse arrives.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #1,052 of 4,151
By the way, what is every one using to buff out there wood cups? It seems the care kit that is included is for the other models that don't use such a heavy lacquer coating since the manual states that the wax should be applied and then left on for 20 minutes to soak up into the wood. I was thinking of using Maguire's expensive car wax to get out the tiny scratches that are apparent on my Purple Heart cups when viewed at a certain angle in a certain light.

Anybody here a wood and lacquer expert who can suggest the best method of care?

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,053 of 4,151
I wanted to add for those out there who are considering purchasing a pair of XCs that the Bubinga cups are the only cups that are in production. I just spoke to Tara in the service department to get my frequency graph sent to me and I asked her about the optional cups, and she told me for now they don't foresee offering any other wood cup options.

I'm glad I was able to get a pair of Purple Hearts. The picture I took and posted does not reflect the true color of these. I used a flash indoors in artificial light, so the picture came out more reddish pink. In reality, the color is a dark purple, much like a dark red wine color. Tara did say there might be another pair or two of these cups in stock ...

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,054 of 4,151
  By the way, what is every one using to buff out there wood cups? It seems the care kit that is included is for the other models that don't use such a heavy lacquer coating since the manual states that the wax should be applied and then left on for 20 minutes to soak up into the wood. I was thinking of using Maguire's expensive car wax to get out the tiny scratches that are apparent on my Purple Heart cups when viewed at a certain angle in a certain light.

Anybody here a wood and lacquer expert who can suggest the best method of care?

Martin Lantinen of Martin Custom Audio, who produces custom cups for Grado's and Denon's among others, recommended Renaissance Wax for me when I got my Cocobolo Rosewood cups for my D2000.  I'd imagine this would work for the Audeze cups. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,055 of 4,151

Martin Lantinen of Martin Custom Audio, who produces custom cups for Grado's and Denon's among others, recommended Renaissance Wax for me when I got my Cocobolo Rosewood cups for my D2000.  I'd imagine this would work for the Audeze cups. 

It works well for just about everything.
There isn't anything better.
From your description you will likely want the cleaner also

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #1,056 of 4,151
OK, thanks for the replies!

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,057 of 4,151
LCD XC set up

Source : ak 240
Music file : DSD 64 bit
Desktop Amp : T+A. P 1.2 pre amp tube
Headphone : LCD XC
Cable : RCA WBT to mini Viablue Crystal Cable Dream Line Series diy

Sound Quality :
Incredible high end sound quality in headphone world

High : silky smooth with very good detail and clarity
Mid : very sweet and intimate and natural midrange
Bass : very good detail and very good bass impact they going very deep
Separation : very good separation from AK 240 as DAP
Soundstage : 3 D soundstage for close LCD XC

IMO

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,058 of 4,151
Mar 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,059 of 4,151
I've never heard the XCs as bright...unless the recording is harsh that is. They are certainly not as bright as the TH-900s, HD800s or T1s. Maybe we should get together in the spring and have an all-Macedonian/Canadian mini-meet (I'd love to hear your BHSE too)?

Based on reponse I got from Audeze(is many more months of development.), might be that DAA-1 will not be ready any time soon. Oh, well.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,060 of 4,151
Based on reponse I got from Audeze(is many more months of development.), might be that DAA-1 will not be ready any time soon. Oh, well.

What is a DAA-1?

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,062 of 4,151
  Full name of the amp please

I remember selling those. That's a T+A V10. The distribution in the US has been spotty, but I believe Dynaudio America currently handles the line. This is an 80 watt per channel integrated amplifier from what I remember, German made, and there was a matching CD player and turntable. I recall it retailing for about $8k back when it first appeared in the US about 10 years ago.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,063 of 4,151

I remember selling those. That's a T+A V10. The distribution in the US has been spotty, but I believe Dynaudio America currently handles the line. This is an 80 watt per channel integrated amplifier from what I remember, German made, and there was a matching CD player and turntable. I recall it retailing for about $8k back when it first appeared in the US about 10 years ago.

Looks nice but way out of my budget/space constraints.
Interesting that they use the EL-509.
Long ago I had a Melos that put out 200WPC from two pairs of EL509 in triode
Good thing I sold it long ago as I discovered later that they tended to self destruct from lousy heat management and general poor design practices.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,064 of 4,151

Looks nice but way out of my budget/space constraints.
Interesting that they use the EL-509.
Long ago I had a Melos that put out 200WPC from two pairs of EL509 in triode
Good thing I sold it long ago as I discovered later that they tended to self destruct from lousy heat management and general poor design practices.

The T+A gear is very well built, as you would expect from its German origin.

Luxman was sold a couple years ago to a Chinese firm, so my award winning SQ-N100 was reintroduced as a Chinese built SQ-N10 for about a grand less (~$2K). This EL84 based tube amp has a fabulous headphone output, straight from the transformer taps. They also make the SQ-30 ($4K), again, a Chinese made version of the SQ-38 ($6K) with a similar headphone circuit ... EL34 based.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,065 of 4,151

The T+A gear is very well built, as you would expect from its German origin.

Luxman was sold a couple years ago to a Chinese firm, so my award winning SQ-N100 was reintroduced as a Chinese built SQ-N10 for about a grand less (~$2K). This EL84 based tube amp has a fabulous headphone output, straight from the transformer taps. They also make the SQ-30 ($4K), again, a Chinese made version of the SQ-38 ($6K) with a similar headphone circuit ... EL34 based.

Wasn't implying anything about the T+A, just that a bad design happened to use the same unusual output tubes
rolleyes.gif

I bring my EL84 based JoLida FX10 with a matching resistor box to Head-Fi meets and it does very nicely. There are certainly better EL84 amps out there, it is their bottom of the line amp. Tube amps aren't practical for a cramped office environment which is where I listen

I personally have high hopes for the Geek Pulse, but if that doesn't cut it, there is the Bryston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back