AUDEZE LCD XC
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,036 of 4,158
  OK, I listened to the XCs again a few hours later and they settled down a bit, but still forward. I then tried it straight into my AK240 and it actually sounded better. I may need to burn-in the headphone section of my Glow tube amp; I've only used it for speakers in my bedroom since I bought it new a year ago. I can't recall if the circuit is straight off the tap or independent. I still haven't tried my Luxman tube amp yet, but now I'm more hopeful.

When I first listened to the XCs earlier today, they reminded me of my experience with the AKG K701s which I bought when they were first released; I did not like these headphones at all even after 500 hours of burn-in time. Felt like an icepick stabbing my brain, figuratively speaking of course.

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains in northern CA, so I hike quite a bit. I took my new XCs with my 240 and went for a short hike—about 2.5 miles—just to see how they would work during this activity. The weight of the XCs didn't bother me at all and the clamping force kept the XCs snug on my noggin. If the upper mids warm some more, I may have my dream portable system.

Here's a couple pictures for you all ... my XCs and my fellow lambskin leathered, wood ESW-9As.

While I find the X and XCs sound great from portable players, they really sound their best on a good desktop amp IME.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,037 of 4,158
  While I find the X and XCs sound great from portable players, they really sound their best on a good desktop amp IME.

That's what I have the Luxman SQ-N100 for ... 
wink_face.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,039 of 4,158
  Nice. What is your DAC?

My Luxman is a 12 watt per channel, EL84 based integrated tube amp. It drives my Focal Electra 1008 Be speakers which use beryllium tweeters—highly resolving. The Luxman was given Six Moons Blue Moon award. Here's the review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/luxman3/100.html.

The headphone output comes straight off the transformer taps, so it is about as short and clean a circuit as can be designed. The reviewer was highly complimentary about the headphone section, as were other reviewers who auditioned this amp.

I don't use a DAC since this system is primarily for my records; however, I am using the AK240 as a source with high rez DSD and PCM files and it sounds quite wonderful on this system.

Here's a picture although I no longer own the Wadia CD player since I sold it to fund the 240/XC purchase:

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #1,040 of 4,158

My Luxman is a 12 watt per channel, EL84 based integrated tube amp. It drives my Focal Electra 1008 Be speakers which use beryllium tweeters—highly resolving. The Luxman was given Six Moons Blue Moon award. Here's the review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/luxman3/100.html.

The headphone output comes straight off the transformer taps, so it is about as short and clean a circuit as can be designed. The reviewer was highly complimentary about the headphone section, as were other reviewers who auditioned this amp.

I don't use a DAC since this system is primarily for my records; however, I am using the AK240 as a source with high rez DSD and PCM files and it sounds quite wonderful on this system.

Here's a picture although I no longer own the Wadia CD player since I sold it to fund the 240/XC purchase:

Have you thought about using a different source than your AK240? Sorry, but I'm definitely not hearing the brightness you're mentioning on my Bryston BDA-2 --> GS-X Mk2. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,041 of 4,158
  Have you thought about using a different source than your AK240? Sorry, but I'm definitely not hearing the brightness you're mentioning on my Bryston BDA-2 --> GS-X Mk2. 

I believe the brightness I was alluding to was simply because the XCs were straight out of the box when I first listened to them. When I went hiking several hours later using the AK240 to drive them, the brightness had subsided quite a bit. It may be my Glow amp I was using on initial listening is not a good match or the burn-in process of several hours had changed the initial character.

I'll continue to report my findings as I get more time on the XCs, and of course, I will use them on my Luxman with my current CD player, my turntable, and my AK240 which I'm sure will reveal the true nature of the XCs.

I must add that my preference in tonality tends to lean towards the warmer side of neutral. For instance, my favorite IEMs that I've owned are the Sennheiser IE8s and the JVC HA-FX700s. My favorite previously owned full size headphones are the Denon D7000s. I love the sound of my ESW9As. Anything peaky in the upper mids can be troubling for me.

I hope this better explains my initial impressions ...

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,042 of 4,158

I believe the brightness I was alluding to was simply because the XCs were straight out of the box when I first listened to them. When I went hiking several hours later using the AK240 to drive them, the brightness had subsided quite a bit. It may be my Glow amp I was using on initial listening is not a good match or the burn-in process of several hours had changed the initial character.

I'll continue to report my findings as I get more time on the XCs, and of course, I will use them on my Luxman with my current CD player, my turntable, and my AK240 which I'm sure will reveal the true nature of the XCs.

I must add that my preference in tonality tends to lean towards the warmer side of neutral. For instance, my favorite IEMs that I've owned are the Sennheiser IE8s and the JVC HA-FX700s. My favorite previously owned full size headphones are the Denon D7000s. I love the sound of my ESW9As. Anything peaky in the upper mids can be troubling for me.

I hope this better explains my initial impressions ...

You're a brave man taking them hiking. 
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,043 of 4,158
  You're a brave man taking them hiking. 
smile.gif

I live in a secluded area, so I don't have to worry about security or frankly, seeing many people. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #1,044 of 4,158
I live in a secluded area, so I don't have to worry about security or frankly, seeing many people. :D

Or actually most lay person had any idea how much these actually cost lol...

Price is Right on LCD3:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151861463602132&set=vb.119953092131&type=2&theater

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #1,045 of 4,158
I have about 33 hours of play time on my LCD-XCs and they are beginning to sound like I had hoped them too. The upper mid prominence I noticed out of the box has settled down significantly. My AK240 drives them to a plenty high level; the highest I can go is about 68 out of 75.

Tomorrow I plan to spend some time with the XCs hooked up to my Luxman tube amp to hear how good these really are. The final verdict isn't in just yet, but it's beginning to look like I have a winner ...

I'm waiting for a 2.5mm TRRS male connector so I can modify the balanced cable that came with the XCs. This will allow me to use the balanced output on the 240 which will give me more gain, and hopefully, even better sound.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,046 of 4,158
LCD-XC 'phones turned up this afternoon. 

Mmm..... new car smell.

Initial impressions (see signature for source and amp):

Greater bass punch and presence than the T1s, but not quite as tight at this stage
Much better treble sparkle than the LCD 2.2 (the LCD 2s didn't work well with renaissance choral music)
Not as bright or harsh as T1s
Very versatile with respect to genres
Not the most comfortable headphones I have owned, but far from uncomfortable
Better isolating than W3000ANV and less leakage
Not neutral - (a touch on the warmer side, but this coming straight from T1s - More balanced than the LCD 2.2s remembered by these ears)
Great compliment to T1s
Possibly slightly more detailed than T1s, but not as fast (will this change with burn in?)
The best sound stage I have heard in a closed set of cans

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,048 of 4,158
  I have about 33 hours of play time on my LCD-XCs and they are beginning to sound like I had hoped them too. The upper mid prominence I noticed out of the box has settled down significantly. My AK240 drives them to a plenty high level; the highest I can go is about 68 out of 75.

Tomorrow I plan to spend some time with the XCs hooked up to my Luxman tube amp to hear how good these really are. The final verdict isn't in just yet, but it's beginning to look like I have a winner ...

I'm waiting for a 2.5mm TRRS male connector so I can modify the balanced cable that came with the XCs. This will allow me to use the balanced output on the 240 which will give me more gain, and hopefully, even better sound.

I'm experiencing the same thing.  The upper mids have become substantially less prominent the more time I spend with them, which makes me very happy.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,049 of 4,158
@jwbrent, where did you get the 2.5mm trrs connector?

My dealer, Ted at teds headfood here on Head-Fi, just got in a bunch of high quality 2.5mm TRRS gold plated connectors. PM him to find out about them.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,050 of 4,158
  I'm experiencing the same thing.  The upper mids have become substantially less prominent the more time I spend with them, which makes me very happy.

Good to hear. I really want these to be keepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back