AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #511 of 4,127
What you're referring to could happen anywhere in the UK, not just in Newcastle. However that's not the reason why I wouldn't use my LCD-XC's outside on the go, my main reason is because I've the UM Miracle CIEM's which to me give much better isolation and I believe while they're in my ears there's no leakage whatsoever, I also think they sound very good as well.

I think that should be the primary reason why you shouldn't. Water + LCD-XC is not a good formula.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #514 of 4,127
Bought the LCD XC yesterday and received it early this morning. I'm without a DAC at the moment while I'm waiting for the Concero HD to arrive in the mail Wednesday, but that didn't stop me from plugging my Schiit Magni into the computer headphone jack and testing out the sound. Very good for what it was, in fact it had the overall clarity in sound I was looking for when compared to the LCD X on my setup. I mainly use the Violectric V200 as my primary amp and am exceedingly excited to hear the Concero HD/V200 combo with the XC. I'm glad to hear the XC benefits from a warm/smooth setup, it's exactly the ticket for my configuration. The French silk Q cable is badass with the XC :)

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #516 of 4,127
Newcastle is the safest feeling city I've ever been to. Rain is definitely your biggest threat!

The North of England is normally colder than the South, but I ruled rain out because it happens everywhere in the UK. Yes the North usually gets more rain than the South, but South West England and Wales have had a lot more rain recently than the North. But if Tony was referring to the rain, he might have been better saying, rather us guessing.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #517 of 4,127
Sorry, I just meant that I couldn't sit in a café in Newcastle wearing headphones like the LCD-XC. Nothing to do with the rain, I'd just feel like a..."pretty boy in a prison camp" :)

Anyway, current mode vs balanced amps? Figaro has got me thinking about the EF-6 but the Bakoons look like a good option too. Then there's the Master 9. Nothing at all wrong with my Conductor, but I want to put some serious wattage into these things.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #518 of 4,127
Sorry, I just meant that I couldn't sit in a café in Newcastle wearing headphones like the LCD-XC. Nothing to do with the rain, I'd just feel like a..."pretty boy in a prison camp" :)

Anyway, current mode vs balanced amps? Figaro has got me thinking about the EF-6 but the Bakoons look like a good option too. Then there's the Master 9. Nothing at all wrong with my Conductor, but I want to put some serious wattage into these things.

The EF-6 is good with the LCD-X, but it is amazing with the LCD-XC.  Things I hate about the EF-6 are that: (1) it is a big, ugly, heavy monster of an amp; and (3) the volume knob is a monstrosity.  For $1600 the look and feel of the amp should be much better, but with regards to sound (at least with the LCD-XC), it is warm, smooth, and just perfect for the XCs.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #519 of 4,127
  The EF-6 is good with the LCD-X, but it is amazing with the LCD-XC.  Things I hate about the EF-6 are that: (1) it is a big, ugly, heavy monster of an amp; and (3) the volume knob is a monstrosity.  For $1600 the look and feel of the amp should be much better, but with regards to sound (at least with the LCD-XC), it is warm, smooth, and just perfect for the XCs.

I find it strange that the EF-6 has a balanced output but only single-ended inputs. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #524 of 4,127
  Yeah...that doesn't make sense to me...Hifiman tends to do things only half-way....a most frustrating company in my opinion.

Come on, give them a break.
They are a very young company and they are figuring things out as they go.
They know how to make a top sounding product, the aspect that's been lacking up unitl now is the build quality of those said products.
But they are trying to solve these.
Look at their newly announced products the HE-400i and HE-560, both having a very different design and significantly lighter weight, their upcoming Jade II electrostat sharing that design.
Their new headphones will weight around 350g, that's almost 1/2 of what the newest Audez'e cans weight and this reduction should bring a significant increase in comfort, along with their redesigned headband.
I am not saying their products are great build quality wise, but they've been marginally improving over time, while the sound quality of those has matched and surpassed other audiophile brands in a very short time.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #525 of 4,127
Bought the LCD XC yesterday and received it early this morning. I'm without a DAC at the moment while I'm waiting for the Concero HD to arrive in the mail Wednesday, but that didn't stop me from plugging my Schiit Magni into the computer headphone jack and testing out the sound. Very good for what it was, in fact it had the overall clarity in sound I was looking for when compared to the LCD X on my setup. I mainly use the Violectric V200 as my primary amp and am exceedingly excited to hear the Concero HD/V200 combo with the XC. I'm glad to hear the XC benefits from a warm/smooth setup, it's exactly the ticket for my configuration. The French silk Q cable is badass with the XC :)

Glad you're liking them. I agree that a warm front end benefits the XC's a lot. They sound better on the Lyr than the Mjolnir or Woo WA22, which is exactly the opposite with the X's.

Enjoy!

BTW, which wood did you choose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back