AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #496 of 4,142
I don't think they sound claustrophobic at all. I would have opted for the X had circumstances allowed, but for the most part I think the XC do a good job at imitating an open-backed headphone.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #497 of 4,142
For closed headphones the LCD-XC's do sound slightly open, however I'm saying they sound claustrophobic compared to my 009's and HD-600.
Overall I'm extremely happy with my LCD's and they are getting more listening time than my other two full size headphones.
Part of that though is because I like to have my BHSE on power for at least an hour before I listen to my 009's, that's because I find the SQ improves after that time, whereas because to my hearing the GS-Xmk2 doesn't sound any different from when it's first powered up, to when it's been on power for sometime, I listen to the GS-X straight away.
Another reason why my LCD's are getting more listening time is because I now find them to be extremely comfortable, in fact I was listening to them last night for over two hours and could quite easily have had them on for a lot longer.

P.S. If there's any sport on TV and I don't want to hear the commentary, I turn the sound off the TV and listen to my headphones, that's what I was doing last night.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #498 of 4,142
For closed headphones the LCD-XC's do sound slightly open, however I'm saying they sound claustrophobic compared to my 009's and HD-600.
Overall I'm extremely happy with my LCD's and they are getting more listening time than my other two full size headphones.
Part of that though is because I like to have my BHSE on power for at least an hour before I listen to my 009's, that's because I find the SQ improves after that time, whereas because to my hearing the GS-Xmk2 doesn't sound any different from when it's first powered up, to when it's been on power for sometime, I listen to the GS-X straight away.
Another reason why my LCD's are getting more listening time is because I now find them to be extremely comfortable, in fact I was listening to them last night for over two hours and could quite easily have had them on for a lot longer.

P.S. If there's any sport on TV and I don't want to hear the commentary, I turn the sound off the TV and listen to my headphones, that's what I was doing last night.

I've had that "out of head" sensation a couple of times with the XC and like you I find them to be extremely comfortable - for the first couple of hours at least. They do seem to be a little heavier than the LCD-2 so I'm not sure they'd be suitable for those who like to listen to their headphones for 4-6 hours per day, but I rarely get the chance to sit for more than 2 hours so it's a non-issue for me.

I love everything about these headphones. I'm eager to put that balanced cable to good use with a better amp than the one I have now.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #499 of 4,142
I've had that "out of head" sensation a couple of times with the XC and like you I find them to be extremely comfortable - for the first couple of hours at least. They do seem to be a little heavier than the LCD-2 so I'm not sure they'd be suitable for those who like to listen to their headphones for 4-6 hours per day, but I rarely get the chance to sit for more than 2 hours so it's a non-issue for me.

I love everything about these headphones. I'm eager to put that balanced cable to good use with a better amp than the one I have now.

My LCD-XC only started being comfortable since me doing and putting on the new headband, and now that I've put foam on the inside of that headband, I find they've become very comfortable.
The LCD-XC's with their original headband was one of the reasons why I did the new headband, because I found them with their original headband to be uncomfortable with too much clamping.
The other reason is because like with my 009's, to me they both look better with the new headband, especially my 009's.

I did say I wouldn't mention anything about the new headband again, however I wanted to point out the reason why I find my LCD-XC is so comfortable.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #500 of 4,142
I was on vacation for Christmas and New Year and obviously had the XCs with me throughout.
While watching some episodes of Breaking Bad there's that sound of the clock ticking. It was completely out of the head and so out in front that I forgot these were not open headphones.
Was using the the CLAS-dB>Rx3B+ and the sound is neutral, open and very dynamic. Great Synergy.  
These headphones are the best closed ones I've ever had the fortune to use. 

Well done Audeze. They fully deserve all the applause they're getting.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #503 of 4,142

My weekly cafe session with the LCD-XC.   Driven by AK10 is quite enjoyable and the sound improvement with LCD-XC is quite significant comparing to just hp out.   Thank you Audeze.   

Looks great but I wouldn't be brave enough to take mine out.

I dare say I'd be brave enough to go out with my LCD-XC's on, but for a couple of reasons I'd never do that. However, they'd probably keep the ears warm on a cold day.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #509 of 4,142
Hey Figaro, I see you own the EF-6. How does that sound with the XC?

Sounds wonderful.  The EF-6 is a warm and smooth-sounding solid state amp.  Warm and smooth-sounding is what the XCs need, since the upper mids and treble of the XCs are more pronounced than those of it's sibling, the LCD-X.  Thus, I would fully expect the XCs driven by the Schiit Mjolnir to be an unmitigated trebly disaster (i.e., even though I own the Mjolnir, I've been too lazy to try them with said amp); on the other hand, the LCD-X sounds wonderful out of the Mjolnir, even though that amp would not be my first choice for them.  With the XCs it is best to go Copper (rather than Silver) all the way with regard to interconnects and headphone replacement cable.  With copper and a warm-sounding amps/source (include tube amps using something like Mullard tubes) amps, the LCD-XCs are, to my ears, the best closed headphones ever developed, and likely one of the best five headphones currently available, Period!. By the way, with the LCD-X it is best to go with silver all the way and use a brighter source/amp.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #510 of 4,142
As a fellow northerner, you'll understand why I wouldn't take them out in Newcastle :)

What you're referring to could happen anywhere in the UK, not just in Newcastle. However that's not the reason why I wouldn't use my LCD-XC's outside on the go, my main reason is because I've the UM Miracle CIEM's which to me give much better isolation and I believe while they're in my ears there's no leakage whatsoever, I also think they sound very good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back