AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #481 of 4,142
Hi Paddy,

When I said the GS-Xmk2 reproduces the source being used, that doesn't mean it sounds bad with what might be considered being a lesser source.
I have a cable which allows me to use my IPod with my GS-X , and although I haven't tried my iPod / GS-X with my LCD-XC, I have with my HD-600's, and I was still very happy at what I heard, in fact when I took my 009 / BHSE to the Cambridgeshire head-fi meeting in 2012, it was my iPod that was used as the source, so it would be a very good idea for you to bring a DAC.

I've been listening to my LCD-XC / GS-X combo today, and the more I'm listening to those headphones, the more I'm enjoying them, however I'm still looking forward to hearing them with the DHC Complement 2 OCC Copper Cable I've ordered.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #482 of 4,142
Hi Paddy,

When I said the GS-Xmk2 reproduces the source being used, that doesn't mean it sounds bad with what might be considered being a lesser source.
I have a cable which allows me to use my IPod with my GS-X , and although I haven't tried my iPod / GS-X with my LCD-XC, I have with my HD-600's, and I was still very happy at what I heard, in fact when I took my 009 / BHSE to the Cambridgeshire head-fi meeting in 2012, it was my iPod that was used as the source, so it would be a very good idea for you to bring a DAC.

I've been listening to my LCD-XC / GS-X combo today, and the more I'm listening to those headphones, the more I'm enjoying them, however I'm still looking forward to hearing them with the DHC Complement 2 OCC Copper Cable I've ordered.

If you've been using silver cables and will switch to copper cables, you are in for a treat!

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #483 of 4,142
If you've been using silver cables and will switch to copper cables, you are in for a treat!

The only cables I've used with my LCD-XC, are the two supplied, to which both are copper, so some the shrilling I hear might be how the songs were recorded because most in my collection do sound very good.
I've ruled out my amp and source because I don't hear the same with my HD-600's using the same amp and source, and I even have and use a 4 pin XLR silver custom cable with my HD-600's.

Like with all thing's audio, it's best to audition when possible, because otherwise we have to trust others thoughts.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #484 of 4,142
Since listening to my LCD-XC's earlier today, I've recently been listening to my HD-600's and I'm beginning to hear a similar shrilling with those headphones that I hear with both my 009's and LCD's. So it looks like my hearing is becoming more sensitive. I guess I'm going to have to start listening to music at a lower volume.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #485 of 4,142
The reason why I was wondering where you both lived in the North of England, was because of the travelling, but Newcastle's only around two hours away ( well it was when I was driving ) so the distance isn't that bad.
The thing I've found with both the GS-Xmk2 and BHSE, is they reproduce very well whatever the source is giving, and because the source I have is IMO above average, both amps I find do sound pretty amazing.
However, while I'm very happy at how my LCD-XC sound driven by the GS-Xmk2, I'm hoping they sound even better with the DHC Complement 2 OCC Copper cable I've on order.

now, bespoke custom cabling I would love to hear in comparison.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #487 of 4,142
Hi Paddy,

Rough cost David?

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #492 of 4,142
David did you get your cable ? I think I ordered an identical cable on the same day but yet to receive it.

Hi kothganesh ,

No I haven't received it yet, but I'm guessing the Christmas period might have something to do with that.

Because I've ordered the DHC Complement 2 OCC Copper cable with a 4 pin XLR, and also because I'm very impressed with how the LCD-XC's sound with my Pico Slim, along with that cable I've also ordered the DHC 4 pin XLR to mini adapter.

I would also like to mention that in some of my posts, I said with some songs my LCD-XC sounded shrilling, anyway I've worked out the reason for that was my source. The K-01 has different settings, and the settings I had it on was making my LCD's sound harsh.
I'm using different settings now to which I'm very happy with how my LCD's sound.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #493 of 4,142
Hi kothganesh ,

No I haven't received it yet, but I'm guessing the Christmas period might have something to do with that.

Because I've ordered the DHC Complement 2 OCC Copper cable with a 4 pin XLR, and also because I'm very impressed with how the LCD-XC's sound with my Pico Slim, along with that cable I've also ordered the DHC 4 pin XLR to mini adapter.

I would also like to mention that in some of my posts, I said with some songs my LCD-XC sounded shrilling, anyway I've worked out the reason for that was my source. The K-01 has different settings, and the settings I had it on was making my LCD's sound harsh.
I'm using different settings now to which I'm very happy with how my LCD's sound.

Based on your listening with the Pico Slim and the GS-X mkii, would you say that the XC's scaled well?

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #494 of 4,142
Based on your listening with the Pico Slim and the GS-X mkii, would you say that the XC's scaled well?

Not only am I very impressed with how the LCD-XC sounds driven by my GS-Xmk2 and Pico Slim, but I'm also very happy with how my HD-600 sounds with those two amps.
Out of those two headphones though, to me the LCD-XC sounds the better of the two with better detail and even though I'm not a bass person, I do like the bass on those LCD's.
The other thing I noticed, is the volume for the LCD-XC needed to be lower than with the HD-600.
However ( and I've mentioned it before ) I find the music sounds slightly claustrophobic compared to the HD-600 and especially the 009, which is no surprise with both the 600 and 009 being open headphones and the LCD-XC being closed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back