AUDEZE LCD XC
Nov 5, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,196 of 4,127
The XCs do leak a bit. Things need to get quite loud first but people nearby will notice. You will also notice outside noise, like a TV for example, during quiet passages. I love my XCs and find them really musical but I haven't had the chance to compare them to other closed backs, so I don't know how they compare re isolation. If Audeze could beef up the isolation with different / thicker ear pads they would be perfect. Anyone know what the best isolating closed backs are?

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #3,197 of 4,127
Well, I really like this post.
I think I will be joining the Audeze XC family real soon . I as well have tried several closed back headphones and long story short the XC's I feel will Really fit the bill . Like you, I have to keep the noise down so it is so nice to know that the XC's don't leak sound and keep a decent and yet quiet nature about them. I remember being so impressed with the XC's that I forgot to ask my dealer...can you hear any noise out of these puppies??
Anyway . A big congrats and thank you for confirming the XC's low leakage volume.

I am a big nightime listener and the HD 800's that I mainly use are a no go at night time ....sadly.

I say you're making a good decision on the XC's I also tried different closed hp's first and for me the XC's were the over all best sounding, currently they are my favorite hp's, you'll really enjoy them..

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #3,198 of 4,127
Have only used Toxic Silver Widow and Heimdall2 along with stock cable. Full copper seems to be the preference for the XCs although I find the silver Toxic to be wonderful also, just slightly brighter sounding. As stated above, burn-in seems to be highly necessary for the Nordost and I can testify to the huge benefits of 200+hrs burn-in. Re-burn-in also required if not used for 6months(?) - see Nordost website for all the details....

https://nordost.com/faqs-break-in.php

168hrs minimum required break-in. The difference between 167hrs and 168hrs is quite something..

That's a joke but, seriously, do burn-in.

Made up my mind and ordered the Forza Audio Works Noir Mk2. The cable hopefully arrives next week. I’ll post my impressions after break-in.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #3,200 of 4,127
I say you're making a good decision on the XC's I also tried different closed hp's first and for me the XC's were the over all best sounding, currently they are my favorite hp's, you'll really enjoy them..

I am excited and throwing them into either with my cypher labs algorithm trio portable tube amp or my desktop burson soloist paired up with my chord Qutest, the XC's are bound to kick some serious ass . :)

Well, thank you for your kind encouragement feedback . As I said...very excited and I very much have a justifiable reason to buy them...not to annoy my wife. Lol .

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #3,201 of 4,127
Looking forward to it because I'd like to place an order with Forza as well.

The Noir Mk2 is a full copper cable. For some headphones their silver/copper cable can be a better upgrade. Maybe check the other forums first before placing an order.

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #3,202 of 4,127
The Noir Mk2 is a full copper cable. For some headphones their silver/copper cable can be a better upgrade. Maybe check the other forums first before placing an order.

Just thought I'd weigh in here, because I ordered both the Forza Mk2 and Hybrid Noir cables a few months ago. Lots of thanks to Hifi59 who first pointed me to Forza here in this thread!

I've used both on 4,4mm with the Sony WM1Z as well as with a balanced --> single-ended adapter. Matt from Forza was very forthcoming and actually built a hybrid cable with a 25:75 silver:copper ratio after I voiced my concerns about losing too much bass.

The Mk2 and Hybrid cables are like strikingly different siblings. Maybe female (Mk2) and male (Hybrid) in archaic terms. The Mk2 has a more weighty bass, softer treble and a sense of introspection that maybe verges on mellowness for some. But I was most impressed with how natural it sounds, especially for voices and acoustic instruments. The Hybrid is a lot more mid-centered, but with notable presence below and above. Notes come off thicker and with quite a palpable sense of drive and determination.
For the combo of LCD-XC (2016) / WM1Z (FW 2.0 back then), it was actually much more fitting in its tonality. It re-established the powerful treble that was a bit dampened through the WM1Z and reinforced sounds that were detailed, but slightly more meagre in balanced mode. But it's not as uncannily natural sounding as the Mk2, the vocals, flap of drum hides, plucked strings etc. all sounded a bit more technical. And ultimately this is what sold me for the Mk2, even when I have to EQ more to snap in the right tonality for the DAP and XC.

If natural acoustics weren't a key priority or had I more electronic and rock/metal music, I probably would've kept the Hybrid. Both have great dynamics and a trademark BLACKground where music just feasts in open space. Their material quality and suppleness are really pleasant to have.

I haven't compared them to any others beside the LCD-XC stock cable, but don't feel I ought to.... if anyone is actually interested in buying the miniXLR-4,4mm Hybrid Noir (1,5m; hardly used after burn-in), feel free to message me. I might re-post some impressions on the Forza thread later, because I am really that happy that I nailed down my portable "reference system" after buying the LCD-XC two years ago.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3,203 of 4,127
Just thought I'd weigh in here, because I ordered both the Forza Mk2 and Hybrid Noir cables a few months ago. Lots of thanks to Hifi59 who first pointed me to Forza here in this thread!

I've used both on 4,4mm with the Sony WM1Z as well as with a balanced --> single-ended adapter. Matt from Forza was very forthcoming and actually built a hybrid cable with a 25:75 silver:copper ratio after I voiced my concerns about losing too much bass.

The Mk2 and Hybrid cables are like strikingly different siblings. Maybe female (Mk2) and male (Hybrid) in archaic terms. The Mk2 has a more weighty bass, softer treble and a sense of introspection that maybe verges on mellowness for some. But I was most impressed with how natural it sounds, especially for voices and acoustic instruments. The Hybrid is a lot more mid-centered, but with notable presence below and above. Notes come off thicker and with quite a palpable sense of drive and determination.
For the combo of LCD-XC (2016) / WM1Z (FW 2.0 back then), it was actually much more fitting in its tonality. It re-established the powerful treble that was a bit dampened through the WM1Z and reinforced sounds that were detailed, but slightly more meagre in balanced mode. But it's not as uncannily natural sounding as the Mk2, the vocals, flap of drum hides, plucked strings etc. all sounded a bit more technical. And ultimately this is what sold me for the Mk2, even when I have to EQ more to snap in the right tonality for the DAP and XC.

If natural acoustics weren't a key priority or had I more electronic and rock/metal music, I probably would've kept the Hybrid. Both have great dynamics and a trademark BLACKground where music just feasts in open space. Their material quality and suppleness are really pleasant to have.

I haven't compared them to any others beside the LCD-XC stock cable, but don't feel I ought to.... if anyone is actually interested in buying the miniXLR-4,4mm Hybrid Noir (1,5m; hardly used after burn-in), feel free to message me. I might re-post some impressions on the Forza thread later, because I am really that happy that I nailed down my portable "reference system" after buying the LCD-XC two years ago.

Thank you for your extended impressions. I think I made a good choice buying the Noir Mk2. The Moon 430 can be quite analytic with some recordings.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3,205 of 4,127
And so what do we think of this?

Man....animal cruelty never looked so good . jesus, Allegator skin now in blue!
Hate to say it but I love how these look. Sorry vegans. audeze-lcd-xc-gator-blue_06.jpg audeze-lcd-xc-gator-blue-silver-dragon_02.jpg audeze-lcd-xc-gator-blue_01.jpg

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #3,207 of 4,127
Today my best friend i know for 34 years and is a NoFi, all amps, cd players, cables sound the same.
Listned to my headfi.

He got the XC on his head.... wauw heavy, then silence....... i’m listing to music, please 15 minutes more.... 3 hours later this is the best hifi i ever heared.
He is a non headfi or hifi guy all ks the same ..... till today.

Well he is 6ft 3 and build like a tank but his neck was having troubles with the xc.
He asked me how i could bare the weight, what weight? Music let you forget everything.

Love the XC.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #3,208 of 4,127
Never found the XC uncomfortable or too heavy - still using original headband.

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3,209 of 4,127
I'd agree with that in part they are my heaviest hp, the sq of the XC's sure is fine for me their the best sounding closed hp I've heard..

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,210 of 4,127
Does anyone know of a way to make the XCs more isolating, perhaps using different pads for example?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back