AUDEZE LCD XC
Dec 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,941 of 4,151
The lcdxx sounds horrible through the cdm in se. I can only think it is due to lack of power ...

I doubt the lack of power is the issue using the CDM. I use the ak120ii line out (or max volume) which outputs 2.3V and feed that to the CDM. Listening to the HD800 i have the volume pot around 3 o'clock for the average recording and the HD800 is not the easiest headphone to drive. I don't have the LCD-XC but judging from the specs and user comments it is an easy headphone to drive. I estimate i would never need to go past noon on the CDM volume pot if i had the LCD-XC.
I think your disapointment regarding a lack of bass is inherent to tubey sound. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,942 of 4,151
I doubt the lack of power is the issue using the CDM. I use the ak120ii line out (or max volume) which outputs 2.3V and feed that to the CDM. Listening to the HD800 i have the volume pot around 3 o'clock for the average recording and the HD800 is not the easiest headphone to drive. I don't have the LCD-XC but judging from the specs and user comments it is an easy headphone to drive. I estimate i would never need to go past noon on the CDM volume pot if i had the LCD-XC.
I think your disapointment regarding a lack of bass is inherent to tubey sound. Just my opinion of course.

Edit: forgot to mention the set up i described above is SE, further reinforcing my point that power shouldn't be an issue especially if going balanced.

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #2,943 of 4,151
I'm driving the cdm from the se output from the ak320(no balanced cables to use balanced ) also listining to se out to lcdxx from cdm (again no cabling to listen to balanced. ) looking for a TRrs to TRrs 2,5 to get balanced into cdm and 5 weeks into wait list for plus sound balanced cabling to listen to lcdxc in balanced mode . Shocked that a adapter is $400 to go from 4 pin xlr to 2.5. Jeasus that's spendy . What if after all this cabling the lcdxc still suck? Grrrrr...

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #2,944 of 4,151
I'm driving the cdm from the se output from the ak320(no balanced cables to use balanced ) also listining to se out to lcdxx from cdm (again no cabling to listen to balanced. ) looking for a TRrs to TRrs 2,5 to get balanced into cdm and 5 weeks into wait list for plus sound balanced cabling to listen to lcdxc in balanced mode . Shocked that a adapter is $400 to go from 4 pin xlr to 2.5. Jeasus that's spendy . What if after all this cabling the lcdxc still suck? Grrrrr...

Question is; if the lcdxc still sucks after all this cabling is it really the lcdxc being too bright or is it the CDM lacking bass (or not powerful enough) or is it the Grace not gelling well in terms of overall synergy...it seems you're bleeding from everywhere...its painful to read almost. I really hope you get this sorted out.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #2,945 of 4,151
It's pretty crazy . I can't believe the lack of performance in my current situation . The cdm has plenty of low end in my ciem's . The mullard tubes add a nice amount of lower fundamental. I have the ak amp on the way . That should yield some interesting perspectives . I am starting to suspect that Saber and AKM dacs might be contributing to the lack of synergy. They are both very revealing glassy dacs. Both the grace and the ak320 are at 80% of max volume to get the xc to the volume I am hoping for . Straining amps coupled with lots of high end from glassy sounding dacs might be a recipie the papery highs I'm hearing in the xc's . The only thing standing in contrast to this theory is the cdm being 50% of max and is sounding unlistenable . No guts whatsoever . This is of course in SE which is not the strongest circuit the cdm has to offer. We must not discount the less than stellar cabling that comes with the xc from the factory. Another potential link in this chain of potential regret. Gonna have to spend more to know it would appear. Shocker. Cuz this dog don't hunt.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,946 of 4,151
It's pretty crazy . I can't believe the lack of performance in my current situation . The cdm has plenty of low end in my ciem's . The mullard tubes add a nice amount of lower fundamental. I have the ak amp on the way . That should yield some interesting perspectives . I am starting to suspect that Saber and AKM dacs might be contributing to the lack of synergy. They are both very revealing glassy dacs. Both the grace and the ak320 are at 80% of max volume to get the xc to the volume I am hoping for . Straining amps coupled with lots of high end from glassy sounding dacs might be a recipie the papery highs I'm hearing in the xc's . The only thing standing in contrast to this theory is the cdm being 50% of max and is sounding unlistenable . No guts whatsoever . This is of course in SE which is not the strongest circuit the cdm has to offer. We must not discount the less than stellar cabling that comes with the xc from the factory. Another potential link in this chain of potential regret. Gonna have to spend more to know it would appear. Shocker. Cuz this dog don't hunt.

I get a very decent sound from my LCD-XC on a Clip Zip (with RockBox) at less than 50% volume. Listening a 80% volume level, I would worry about the long term health of my ears.

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,947 of 4,151
I have been listening to headphones at these kinds of levels my whole life and my hearing is fine per my last test last month. I don't know about the clip zip and it's amp characteristics but the grace and ak320 don't come alive till 70 or 80%. Especially the grace. It's obviously designed to put out its best drive when more wide open than not. Just the wat they are designed I guess. There are other amps that I can't get past 12 o'clock like the cdm..

Dec 29, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,948 of 4,151
I have been listening to headphones at these kinds of levels my whole life and my hearing is fine per my last test last month. I don't know about the clip zip and it's amp characteristics but the grace and ak320 don't come alive till 70 or 80%. Especially the grace. It's obviously designed to put out its best drive when more wide open than not. Just the wat they are designed I guess. There are other amps that I can't get past 12 o'clock like the cdm..

Is the output of the grace a standard 2V?

Dec 29, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,949 of 4,151
seedubchris:

Can you bring your LCD-XC's to your local Hi-Fi shop along with your music to test out other Amps. Another way is if you can get to a Can Jam.......that is where you can sample all the combinations of DACS/AMPS and Headphones. It will take a while. Don't get frustrated. You will check out many DAC/AMP/Headphone combos and once you find the right combo for you, then just listen and enjoy.

Also try to listen to another pair of LCD-XC to make sure there are no issues with yours (A/B with yours w/same source and Amp).

I am using my Schiit Mjolnir with the stock 4 pin Balanced Cable and this Amp really brings out the best in the LCD-XC's. I rarely need to go past 9:00 on the Volume Knob.

Good Luck.

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #2,951 of 4,151
Here is a great DAC/Amp Combo that will not break the bank and drives the heck out of those LCD-XC's. Schiit Bifrost and Schiit Asgard 2 Class A Amp.
Schiit Stack 2.JPG

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #2,952 of 4,151
Asgard 2 is a very, very nice amp regardless of price.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #2,953 of 4,151
Better Pic:
LCD-XC and Schiit Stack.jpg

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #2,954 of 4,151
Can anyone recommend a single-ended, 1/8" terminated cable for the XC that stands for natural / organic / analogue or perhaps "vinyl" sound?

I also posted this in a Help & Recommendations thread, but figured I'll just reiterate it here: I'm looking for such a cable after testing several DAPs with the XC, intended to be my source for the XC about 90% of the time and giving a "sorts of" personal reference sound that I won't try to double or exceed with a speakers system.
I ended up with the Lotoo Paw Gold as the only one that really felt honest (and not just quasi-honest) from within the music, besides having a lot of helpful specs. However, besides having a slightly narrow soundstage, it has the one real downside of giving a quite "digital" feeling. It's almost impervious to distinguishment of voices, anlogue instruments etc. from non-analogue or less prominent parts of the music and always feels a bit inhuman with vocal cords.. DAPs with a name for "vinyl" sound like the Plenue S or AR-M2 were notably better at this.

I've never ever pursued cables, am I making a stupid equation when asking for something that the source (LPG) just doesn't really have? I understand that copper would rule silver in my case, but beyond that I have no experience at all. No-gos would be more quickness, edginess or more cold analytics from the cable, since the LPG already pushes these.

To be clear, I like a warmer/darker sound signature, but it's not the gist of what I'm looking for. Voices, drum hides and wooden instruments have a natural way of sounding warm to my ears, if only for the fact that they are originally more than a cluster of digital data. I've never heard a human voice that doesn't transport some emotion or empathic insight, and this is what I'd badly want from a cable enhancement.

I'm willing to look into anything between $10-$1000 as long as its value is existent...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #2,955 of 4,151
Can anyone recommend a single-ended, 1/8" terminated cable for the XC that stands for natural / organic / analogue or perhaps "vinyl" sound?

I also posted this in a Help & Recommendations thread, but figured I'll just reiterate it here: I'm looking for such a cable after testing several DAPs with the XC, intended to be my source for the XC about 90% of the time and giving a "sorts of" personal reference sound that I won't try to double or exceed with a speakers system.
I ended up with the Lotoo Paw Gold as the only one that really felt honest (and not just quasi-honest) from within the music, besides having a lot of helpful specs. However, besides having a slightly narrow soundstage, it has the one real downside of giving a quite "digital" feeling. It's almost impervious to distinguishment of voices, anlogue instruments etc. from non-analogue or less prominent parts of the music and always feels a bit inhuman with vocal cords.. DAPs with a name for "vinyl" sound like the Plenue S or AR-M2 were notably better at this.

I've never ever pursued cables, am I making a stupid equation when asking for something that the source (LPG) just doesn't really have? I understand that copper would rule silver in my case, but beyond that I have no experience at all. No-gos would be more quickness, edginess or more cold analytics from the cable, since the LPG already pushes these.

To be clear, I like a warmer/darker sound signature, but it's not the gist of what I'm looking for. Voices, drum hides and wooden instruments have a natural way of sounding warm to my ears, if only for the fact that they are originally more than a cluster of digital data. I've never heard a human voice that doesn't transport some emotion or empathic insight, and this is what I'd badly want from a cable enhancement.

I'm willing to look into anything between $10-$1000 as long as its value is existent...[/QUOTE

Any Cardas cable or Forza Noir cable fits that bill. I just got done experimenting with about 6 different cables and although nothing major about the difference, these 2 are closest to what you want and I agree using them with the XC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back