AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 11, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #1,531 of 4,142
You are comparing this implementation

to this

The implementation matters more than the DAC chip IMHO.
wink.gif
. Apologies for OT.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,532 of 4,142
  You are comparing this implementation

to this

The implementation matters more than the DAC chip IMHO.
wink.gif
. Apologies for OT.

I realize that. And it is indeed a misleading conclusion on my part. The thing is, I felt the sound was on the thinner side so I told myself I'd stay away from the Sabre. I've since been reading about how the implementation matters so I could be wrong. But if you read the information on the Audio GD site, there is always this statement that if one prefers a slightly warmer sound, one should opt for the WM chips. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,533 of 4,142
I had a go with iBasso DX90 DoP -> HUGO -> LCD-XC. (since I have HUGO)
Yes, its audio heaven.

After which I tried other (Grado GS, HD800..etc), i threw them back, thinking I need to reset my brains (and ears) a bit before listening to others. It is just not as "forward" in your face, and dynamic as the LCD-XC.

Than I tried LCD-X.....
XC has much better bass response on HUGO than X.
However, X has a very beautiful tingle and sweetness to the highs. It is very hypnotising. For bass, X has some missing parts, but not so much as to make a huge diff from XC.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,534 of 4,142
I concur on the sounds of difference DACs. Sabre is more precise, thus giving it a more "harsh feel" especially the highs. (faster as well)
For WM, its warmth and slower thus more "musical". This depends on tastes.

My experience with DX90 (dual Sabre) and my Audio-gd WM version is quite different. I would say, depends on genre, I could than decide on the DAC I would like to use.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,535 of 4,142
For HUGO, you should go Coax if possible. (or USB). Optical max out at 192.
Coax and USB max at 384.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #1,536 of 4,142
So I've heard from someone that the LCD-XC is a 90%-as-good version of an LCD-X.  They explained that it's basically an LCD-X, with a back on it, which is why it is just slightly dearer than an LCD-X (to cover the cost of the bubingas), but by closing it in, you lose a bit of quality/detail/whatever in the process, and that they are just trying to cater for the closed headphone market.  That's why it's called an LCD-XC, not an LCD-C - indicating that it's a closed LCD-X, not an entirely different product.

Would like to hear people's opinion on this matter - weather they agree or weather they think it should have maybe been called the LCD-C because it's just as different from the other Audeze 'phones as the LCD 2, 3 and X.  Is people's main reason for buying the XC the fact that they're closed, or are they your genuine favourite from the Audeze lineup.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #1,537 of 4,142
  So I've heard from someone that the LCD-XC is a 90%-as-good version of an LCD-X.  They explained that it's basically an LCD-X, with a back on it, which is why it is just slightly dearer than an LCD-X (to cover the cost of the bubingas), but by closing it in, you lose a bit of quality/detail/whatever in the process, and that they are just trying to cater for the closed headphone market.  That's why it's called an LCD-XC, not an LCD-C - indicating that it's a closed LCD-X, not an entirely different product.

Would like to hear people's opinion on this matter - weather they agree or weather they think it should have maybe been called the LCD-C because it's just as different from the other Audeze 'phones as the LCD 2, 3 and X.  Is people's main reason for buying the XC the fact that they're closed, or are they your genuine favourite from the Audeze lineup.

I had the 2.2, and now have the 3 and the XC. To me each offered something slightly different. The 2.2 was more about slam, the 3 to me is the most neutral of the, well, 3 cans, and the XC offers the right combination of bass, that good-to-die for midrange and smooth top end. Isolation is not an issue for me as I don't use the XC outside of the house. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,541 of 4,142
Curious to know what the frequency graphs of other XC's look like.

Here's mine.

Bass feels light in general, but I love the detail.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,545 of 4,142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back