Audeze LCD-X
Nov 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #811 of 12,748
^ ^ Yeh, how to tame He6 treble is another story.
smily_headphones1.gif

confused.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #812 of 12,748
I'm not going agree with this. I'd take a T1/WA2 over a " well driven HE-6" and I'd take the LCD-3/X over them either the T1 or HE-6 (oh wait...I did already :p ). YMMV of course. :xf_eek:

These LCD-X headphones are picking up where they left off last night...impressing the bejezus out of me. Very clean and transparent headphones. I'm going to have to say that these image better than the LCD-3s...and their quickness and instrumental separation is outstanding. After a little Mozart and Mahler with them, they are really well suited for this genre. Something I really didn't totally feel with the LCD-3s (though I don't really listen to classical music much FWIW).

Stop it. Just... Stop it.

se

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #817 of 12,748
'Fraid not. Still getting daggers staring at me. Maybe I'll start leaving my iPad near the 2R2s streaming episodes of Big Love and see if that helps.
biggrin.gif

se

tongue.gif

Remember: Forgiveness is easier to get than permission. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #821 of 12,748
  OK MH,
a very simple question. I have the 2.2, the 3 and the XC will come next week. I swear only by rock. Do I need the X ?

Depends...what kind of rock? If you listen to metal, then I'd say the LCD-X would be the best choice. The thing I'm really digging about them is that they are outstanding all rounders too.

I am curious about the XC, but I don't really use closed headphones often...only when I need to isolate out the kids or in-laws.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #822 of 12,748
  Well, if anyone decides to sell their LCD-2.2, I'll probably be in the market for one early next year.
biggrin.gif

Mostly because I can't afford the LCD-X.
frown.gif

YET!
biggrin.gif

It's possible I may let mine go if I pick up an X early next year. I am not sure. Despite all this wonderful talk about the X, my LCD-2 R. 2 (with old-style Q cable BTW!
o2smile.gif
) still sound amazing. Only real knock against them for me is the soundstage. My system gives a warm sound so I am not detail crazy and don't worry about that. I wish the soundstage was bigger...I wish the 2 was a little more engaging. Otherwise, it's really great. Like Steve, these posts are beginning to to make my eyes stray...and she don't like it.
regular_smile .gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #823 of 12,748
I would like to know what music genres are best suited for the LCD-X, as opposed to the 2.2 / 3. I have a 2.2, and LOVE the bass and drum slam for rock / metal / hip-hop / electronic music.  
I've been wanting to upgrade to a 3 for better clarity, more open soundstage, and slightly more forward vocal presentation, but I'm not so sure anymore because it seems like the "liquid smooth, more neutral" description it always seems to get suits more audiophile / acoustic / pretty type music. That, and the fact that there is less bass quantity, which is a trade-off for better bass quality from what I've read.

I'm a band director / music teacher, and so I listen to and love many genres of music, but the majority of my collection is rock / metal / alternative. When I do upgrade, whether it be to an Audeze, T1, HE-6, TH-900, Alpha Dog, etc, I want the ideal match for that majority.

Unfortunately, I live in a small town in south Texas, probably couldn't make it to Dallas for a meet, and know I probably won't be able to listen to any of these before I make a purchase. I place my faith in you all. Help me Obi-Wan. :D

I previously owned the LCD-2 r1 & r2, and LCD-3, and I thought the LCD-3 was the best overall for rock, metal, & electronica. I probably listen to newer metal than what MH listens to (90s, 00s, 10s - power, prog, death, & thrash mostly, not so much other sub-genres) and would say that all Audezes so far have been good to great at metal. The LCD-3 in particular was my favorite because it made bass guitars in metal sound extra-heavy, so if you want more of that Audeze tactility & presence factor, the LCD-3 would be a natural upgrade. Not so sure about the LCD-X in that aspect - it sounded slightly thinner than the LCD-2 r2 to me when I listened to it briefly at RMAF. The LCD-X to me was like the answer to "what would Audeze make to get sonically closer to the HD800 but still retain the Audeze house sound?"

I've also previously owned the TH900 and might recommend scratching that off your list - it's somewhat of a sonic inverse to the LCD-3. Where the LCD-3 has a nice filled-out mid-range, the TH900 has a scooped-out one and isn't all that ideal for music that relies heavily on bass guitars and male vocals.

If Austin isn't too far for you there's a meet coming up there next year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/678382/head-fi-austin-january-18-2014

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #824 of 12,748

Depends...what kind of rock? If you listen to metal, then I'd say the LCD-X would be the best choice. The thing I'm really digging about them is that they are outstanding all rounders too.

No metal, just old fashioned rock - Beatles, Led Zep, Floyd, Dire Straits, Who, Rolling Stones etc but also groups like Deep Purple, Van Halen

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #825 of 12,748
hi, i was wondering if any of the lcd-x owners are experiencing any defects in his/her phones Or are there any reportings of problems so far?  Since planar magnetic phones tend to be more difficult with quality control and audeze has had issues with previous lcd series. Could it be the case the audeze got thieir new products perfect on the first go this time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back