Audeze LCD-X
Nov 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #781 of 12,748
Keep in mind that the LCD-3s are much pickier than the 2s. But get the amping/source right and the LCD-3s pull out ahead by a good margin, at least IME.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Amos, As mentioned above, the LCD-3s need a good desktop amp that's up to the task. But I was very much surprised just how good the LCD-Xs sounded out of my FiiO Kilamanjaro portable amp.

I can't recall the models, but the main rig I listened to these on cost around $10,000, and while I am the last to say money trumps all, this was probably a well matched setup. For me, tonal character is very important and I just plain liked the LCD-2's balance better. It's been too long ago, so unfortunately I can't recall the exact details, but the main impression was that the LCD-3 was more "sterile" (I hate trying to convert audio impressions into words).
When I try out the LCD-XC after my dealer gets them in, maybe I will also do a quick comparo to the LCD-2 and LCD-3 but since those are both open I wouldn't consider purchasing them.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #782 of 12,748

Isnt it better to just purchase Hifiman HE-6 if you want a brighter ortho of the same quality as LCD-3? No wood on the LCD-X, they are incredibly heavy and do not offer anything spectacular in terms of performance it seems... So whats so interesting about this headphone?

HE6 isn't of the same quality as the LCD3s. Just because it's an ortho doesn't automatically make it a brighter LCD3. They are poles apart.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #783 of 12,748
  HE6 isn't of the same quality as the LCD3s. Just because it's an ortho doesn't automatically make it a brighter LCD3. They are poles apart.

The HE-6 is much better 
ph34r.gif

No, it's not a troll. It's my humble opinion after listening to the HE-6 and watching pictures of the LCD-3...

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #784 of 12,748
Hello,
I do not typically post on forums so forgive me if I'm out of practice, Last evening I received the LCD-X and I gave it a good listen for several hours, mostly on classic rock. I also own the LCD Rev2,1. LCD Rev2.2, LCD-3, HE-6, HD800, Grado RS1, etc. I would take my comments with a grain of salt since my listening experience has been brief and the headphones have not had an opportunity to break-in. I used a couple of different headphone amps with the LCD-X. I used a Bryston HA-1 and the speaker outputs of a friend's integrated tube amp (Qinpu - A-6000 MKII ).

Just a few quick impressions -
1. Good impact and bass; mid-bass is not excessive and does not bleed into midrange
2. Treble still seems a bit lacking in quantity
3. There's a warmth that, to be honest, I'm not fond of; I was hoping the headphone would be brighter than my other Audeze headphones. I think the warmth stems from a slight over abundance of lower-midrange, not due to an excess of mid-bass. Because the LCD-x is balanced in mid-bass, the sound remains clean, despite the warmth.
4. I would say that, IMO, it was appropriate for Audeze to position this between the Rev 2 and the LCD-3.
4. The upper mids on the LCD-x are brighter than the Rev.2, slightly, but maybe not quite as bright as the LCD-3
5. The sound of drums on the X seems pretty good - impactful, clean, full bodied.
6. My friends described the sound of the LCD-X as the more neutral of the Audeze line; not sure I agree. I think the LCD-3 is more neutral, based upon listening thus far.

The biggest and most unique improvement I took note of? - The soundstag is densely populated, imaging is very good, and the sound is vivid, dynamic, large, and more forward than other Audeze's. To me, the headphones sound best when turned up.

I have not yet used my Toxic Silver Widow cables with the LCD-X, so I'm not sure what kind of additional benefit, if any, I will derive from changing cables. I used only the stock balanced cable.

I'm keeping an open mind and will allow for additional break-in / listening before making any final judgements. The only thing I can say is that I think the forwardness, soundstaging and imaging improvement is substantial enough to warrant keeping these in my stable of headphones. At this point, if I had to choose between the LCD-X and the LCD-3, I would opt for the 3 but that's my personal preference.

Incidentally, for those interested in a comparison to the HE-6 I'm not prepared to do that at this point. But I will say they sound nothing alike. I find the 6 to have a smaller, thinner sound than the LCD-X. The HE6 is significantly brighter and cleaner. In the interest of disclosing my preference, the HE-6 was not my favorite headphone. I always preferred Audeze's sound. But as of late, my taste has changed and the Toxic Silver Widow balanced cable with the HE-6 fills out the midrange and raises the bar of the HE-6 to a whole other level. Using Toxic cable with the LCD-3s, BTW, I did not find the same degree of improvement.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #785 of 12,748
  The HE-6 is much better 
ph34r.gif

No, it's not a troll. It's my humble opinion after listening to the HE-6 and watching pictures of the LCD-3...

I'm not a big fan of the HE6 whereas the LCD3s are my favorite cans.
The reason I still own the HE6 is that it offers a good change from time to time.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #788 of 12,748
  The HE-6 is much better 
ph34r.gif

I agree here.  The HE-6 are much better - IMO of course.  Sold my LCD-3s because of the shelved treble.  However, the LCD-3s are a joy when listening to Miles Davis Trumpet.  But the HE-6 just works better with more tunes..

Hoping the LCD-X will have better treble extension.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #789 of 12,748
I think a well driven he-6 will be better than lcdx as well but im not sure, they sound so different... And theyre very different headphones overall. The he-6 being hard to drive and the lcdx being very efficient for a planar

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #790 of 12,748
Here is my XC freq chart.  They came fedex today but I have not opened them yet.
atsmile.gif

Edit: first freq response of xc on head-fi!

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #792 of 12,748
  Wow, that looks quite good for a closed can!

Hurry up and let us know how they sound!

Will probably be a bit, have a big exam in about 2 hours or so.  Then when I get home I get home from college I got another exam after that.  Probably won't be tonight :frowning2:. The anticipation!!!

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #793 of 12,748
  Here is my XC freq chart.  They came fedex today but I have not opened them yet.
atsmile.gif

So is this a FR of the shipping box then? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back