Audeze LCD-X
Oct 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #197 of 12,748
so how do LCD-X and LCD-XC sound? i'd love to try them but seems like LCD-X is bass light and super neutral and LCD-XC is muddy in the bass at least thats what i've got from the first 1 or 2 impressions i've seen here.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #198 of 12,748
The LCD-X seems like it could be the right tradeoff between the existing LCDs and the HD800 - Audeze planar strengths with a more deliberately neutral voicing.  It will probably be well out of my range regardless but more good TOTL phones is a win for everyone!

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #199 of 12,748
I'm wondering that the LCD-XC could justify its price tag when the TH900 is cheaper and considered the "best" closed back phone now, well, period, if you don't count the extremely rare Sony R10.

Really intrigued with the XC, hope to see some constructed reviews soon.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #201 of 12,748
  I don't think you could say the TH900 is the best closed back as it's targeted to have a colored response whereas the XC is targeted for a more neutral response.

No... It is the best (relative term of course) closed back headphone right now (said by many). Freq response shouldn't be the only factor. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #202 of 12,748
Hmmn... I found neither X or XC to be muddy in the bass, though both were bass-light for me (coming from a satisfied TH900 owner). The mids/highs sounded quite revealing without being harsh. To me, they are both studio-voiced, and gloriously so. 

I'd really have to get them in-home for a few days at least to really form concrete opinions - but I didn't leave thinking that I had to have either pair. That's not to say that I wasn't impressed, I was - it's just that I'm looking for that toe-tapping, air-guitar factor. YMMV

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #204 of 12,748

No... It is the best (relative term of course) closed back headphone right now (said by many). Freq response shouldn't be the only factor. 

Let's see if they still keep the flag after XC gets out :D

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #207 of 12,748
  I hate when people say "best." "Best" is subjective, and will NEVER be objective, unless it's regarding measurable terms like "best 0-60 times."

The reality is everything is subjective and one of the most commonly used words on audio forums is best. That is why I emphasized that it is relative to the person. I agree it is used too often, but for most people - they will never get the opportunity to demo these headphones, so subjective opinions is all they have to go on. The lazy way to do research is ask which one is better or is the best. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #208 of 12,748
Anything music/art related is mostly subjective. Sure, an album could be 128bit/6zillionHz and recorded in a hermetically sealed room on one of Jupiter's moons, but if it's Michael Bolton doing the singing, I still ain't gonna pay a dime for it. But the average Oprah watching housewife will buy it, and who am I to judge her if she genuinely enjoys what I consider sappy drivel?

Same goes for the tools. A headphone could measure phenomenally well and I still might find it utterly insipid in terms of musicality, but I'm pretty sure some people would love it for those same qualities, and they'd probably find my preferred headphones bad for similar or completely opposite reasons. More power to me, more power to them.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #209 of 12,748

The reality is everything is subjective and one of the most commonly used words on audio forums is best. That is why I emphasized that it is relative to the person. I agree it is used too often, but for most people - they will never get the opportunity to demo these headphones, so subjective opinions is all they have to go on. The lazy way to do research is ask which one is better or is the best. 

True but calling the TH900 "best" doesn't really help much other than making kids spend money faster on something they have no idea if they like or not. This is why I try to do relative comparisons and never really say which is better in absolute terms. I personally couldn't decide if you gave me a choice between the TH900 sound and Audeze's house sound since I love female vocals on Audezes, but airiness on the TH900 is too seductive. Therefore, neither is "best."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back