Audeze LCD-X
Oct 6, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #12,406 of 12,748
At the moment I hear music with my UM Mest and Hiby R6 Pro. I like the separation of the instruments, the pretty big soundstage and the sub bass. The presentation is flawless in my opinion. In the past I owned a pair of Beyerdynamic 931, AKG 701 and I missed always the bass in those and years later I owned a pair of Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and I disliked the muddy bass and a lack of separation between instruments. So, I'm very happy with my Mest.

But I'm still interested buying a planar headphone even I never experienced one. From my writing above, do you think the LCD-X could be my cup of tea? And if yes, do I need a special dac/amp or do they run on my Hiby R6 Pro?

cheers, Tommy

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #12,407 of 12,748
At the moment I hear music with my UM Mest and Hiby R6 Pro. I like the separation of the instruments, the pretty big soundstage and the sub bass. The presentation is flawless in my opinion. In the past I owned a pair of Beyerdynamic 931, AKG 701 and I missed always the bass in those and years later I owned a pair of Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and I disliked the muddy bass and a lack of separation between instruments. So, I'm very happy with my Mest.

But I'm still interested buying a planar headphone even I never experienced one. From my writing above, do you think the LCD-X could be my cup of tea? And if yes, do I need a special dac/amp or do they run on my Hiby R6 Pro?

cheers, Tommy
Many moons ago I owned and loved a THX00 headphone. If you love your bass and your taste has evolved at the same time looking for a more refined bass/sound which is equally enjoyable but cleaner and more balanced, the LCD-X is a very good next step. I loved my LCD-X a lot.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #12,408 of 12,748
Got the LCD-X today, been a while since I heard one but it certainly didn't disappoint. Comfort is great, sound is nicely balanced out of the box as well, has a bit of emphasis on on the bass, instruments and vocals but nothing too crazy, sounds a bit like a "hi-fi" neutral tuning. First impressions are rather positive especially considering the relatively modest price for the performance you get.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #12,409 of 12,748
Alright, I ended up getting my LCD-X 2021. Oh man, this is a stunning headphone. I will start here by saying that this headphone definitely has a burn in period. I have about 8 hours use on it so far, and the sound continues to develop. Once you put a bit of EQ on it, the sound quality is just spectacular. Where do I even start ? The build quality on this headphone is stellar. Upon removing it from the box, there is an immediate new car smell. As I am typing this and listening to music, the gorgeous smell is still there. In terms of weight, maybe I am in the minority, but I don't find it to be an issue at all. I find the LCD-X to be incredibly comfortable, and it fits my head like a glove. Thankfully, my ears don't touch the fazors. I have a bit larger than average ears, so this was definitely a concern I had going in.

In terms of sound, once an EQ is put on it, this is exactly what I was looking for as an upgrade from my DT 1990 Pro. Bass is tight, quick, and has excellent decay and detail. Soundstage on this headphone is honestly not as intimate as many reviews suggest. It is not huge, but I have seen quite a few reviews claim it is lacking this area. I just don't agree with that assessment. Granted, I do own the Gustard X16 DAC, which is well known for having a rather large soundstage. The soundstage on the LCD-X is the same size in width as my DT 1990, but in terms of height, the LCD-X is definitely taller. The LCD-X is also greater in terms of depth. This headphone loves to present everything that is often hidden within a recording, which is just what the DT 1990 also tries to do as well. There is a difference though. The LCD-X has even better detail retrieval and imaging capabilities, as well as being vastly better in its ability to realistically render every instrument. Much more of the fine details within the music are being exposed on the LCD-X. It is obvious after listening to this headphone for the last several hours why it costs double the price of the DT 1990. The DT 1990 is a headphone that certainly sounds like a headphone, and it is impressive in its own right. The LCD-X has the ability to sound far closer to what a good loudspeaker sounds like. I am currently just working on an EQ, and I will post it here when I am satisfied with the results. This is an awesome headphone.

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #12,410 of 12,748
I just received a brand new LCD-X 2021, but the left headband adjustment yoke doesn't move at all, even after putting some force into it; seems like it's completely stuck. I am guessing this isn't normal? I can't even really try the (new) headphones because it won't adjust quite big enough to wear. Is there a trick to fixing this?

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #12,411 of 12,748
I just received a brand new LCD-X 2021, but the left headband adjustment yoke doesn't move at all, even after putting some force into it; seems like it's completely stuck. I am guessing this isn't normal? I can't even really try the (new) headphones because it won't adjust quite big enough to wear. Is there a trick to fixing this?
Loosen the adjustment screw. There's a chance they shipped too tight. If you can't get them to move that way then contact Audeze. You're in warranty and Audeze has always been great about finding fast and adequate solutions.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #12,412 of 12,748
You will find a screw on the yolk block (the black block through which the yolk rod goes), just loosen this screw alittle.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #12,414 of 12,748
Thank you @mikecheck95 @KMann

I heard they apply lock-tight on the adjustment screws now, so I will just reach out to Audeze and see what they say. Thank you both!!!
You can still loosen the screw even if they have applied lock-tight. Lock-tight isn't permanent.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #12,415 of 12,748
Can't say the same. I swapped through 3 sets of the new pads thinking I had received a bad batch. The foam is just to squishy and my left ear would constantly touch the fazors. Almost came to the point of selling it. Thank God for Dekoni.
I have the same issue with the fazors touching my ears. Which pads did you get from Dekoni?

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #12,416 of 12,748
I have had these headphones for a few months now. I use them a few times per week and usually set out to listen for an hour. I almost always end up listening for 3-4 hours and just find them so engaging. My daily drivers are currently Airpod Pros (RIP Fiio Fh5). And it’s so cool to put these on after commuting with the Airpods and just be taken to another level in terms of the audio experience they deliver. I EQ mine using a modified (less “extreme”) version of Oratory1990’s preset for the 2021 LCD-X.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #12,417 of 12,748
Oct 8, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #12,418 of 12,748
Oct 8, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #12,419 of 12,748
Thanks. My temporary solution is putting the Bayerdynamic foam disc I took off of the DT 880 in front of the driver. I will look into purchasing a pair of dekoni pads.

Take it, you wont regret it.
Instalation may look difficult, but its not. Took me about 30 min, because Ialso removed headband for easier acces to grab the old pads. There is video some where how to do it.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #12,420 of 12,748
Take it, you wont regret it.
Instalation may look difficult, but its not. Took me about 30 min, because Ialso removed headband for easier acces to grab the old pads. There is video some where how to do it.

I watched that video and have a question: how is the alignment of the Dekoni pad done before sticking it down? There was a mention of a screw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back