Audeze LCD-X
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #11,866 of 12,748
Hello there to all Audeze LCD owners out there!! I am thinking about purchasing an LCD model in the near future, but of course, I am doing the home work first. I have done quite some homework already, but there is still plenty to do. it is part of the journey, it is free, and saves money on the long run.

My question is if is there people out there with 5 year old LCD headphones, or even 10 year old Audeze LCD headphones, to check a bit how they age, reliability etc... These headphones are quite expensive, which is not a problem on itself, problem is if they do not last as much as they cost. I have seen really old sennheiser hd600 out there, and those are 200€. I have the hd6xx, great thing for the price. Now I was thinking LCD-2C, then I thought better jump to LCD-X, since it comes already with leather pads, maybe sound a bit more accurate... But I have read in the LCD-2c forum people needing to do drivers replacement one month after warranty, I saw a local guy selling his lcd-2c with the drivers just replaced under warranty...

All in all, I do not mind spending money on expensive stuff, if quality is good and they last long. Adam speakers give 5 year warranty, Schiit audio gives 5 years warranty too... Maybe Audeze is actually more reliable than what I think? The other planar competition, not very good really... Sundara also give problems, also Abyss... Fostex TR50, 60, are lower quality planars I guess...

Let me know your thoughts about Audeze reliability please. Also, show your old cans, if anyone here with 5 or 10 year old LCD's...

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #11,867 of 12,748
Hello there to all Audeze LCD owners out there!! I am thinking about purchasing an LCD model in the near future, but of course, I am doing the home work first. I have done quite some homework already, but there is still plenty to do. it is part of the journey, it is free, and saves money on the long run.

My question is if is there people out there with 5 year old LCD headphones, or even 10 year old Audeze LCD headphones, to check a bit how they age, reliability etc... These headphones are quite expensive, which is not a problem on itself, problem is if they do not last as much as they cost. I have seen really old sennheiser hd600 out there, and those are 200€. I have the hd6xx, great thing for the price. Now I was thinking LCD-2C, then I thought better jump to LCD-X, since it comes already with leather pads, maybe sound a bit more accurate... But I have read in the LCD-2c forum people needing to do drivers replacement one month after warranty, I saw a local guy selling his lcd-2c with the drivers just replaced under warranty...

All in all, I do not mind spending money on expensive stuff, if quality is good and they last long. Adam speakers give 5 year warranty, Schiit audio gives 5 years warranty too... Maybe Audeze is actually more reliable than what I think? The other planar competition, not very good really... Sundara also give problems, also Abyss... Fostex TR50, 60, are lower quality planars I guess...

Let me know your thoughts about Audeze reliability please. Also, show your old cans, if anyone here with 5 or 10 year old LCD's...
I just recently got a 3 year old lcd x for around 800$, and im happy with them. Im intrested in the same question as well. I heard that if your drivers dont die in the first few months, theyll live for 10-15+ years easily

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #11,868 of 12,748
I just recently got a 3 year old lcd x for around 800$, and im happy with them. Im intrested in the same question as well. I heard that if your drivers dont die in the first few months, theyll live for 10-15+ years easily
Well, we heard so many things that... probably most are BS... Not even the company is 15 years old I think, it is therefore impossible. Also, current drivers quality is the question... I really don't see 5 year old units out there pretty much never, even used units for sale are still inside the 3 year waranty, or just expired. Never see a 10 year old unit for sale, so... :thinking:

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #11,869 of 12,748
Good question @Lolito. None of my headphones are 10 to 15 years :) I only started the head-fi journey in 2015. My 2nd hand pair of HD650 is probably the oldest ( not sure how long the previous owner had it for) but it's still in immaculate condition and sound.

As for my experience with Audeze...

LCD-2f - bought new in 2017 from Addicted To Audio - no problems until I sold it 2 years later because I bought a pair of 2nd hand LCD-3f.

LCD-3f - 2016 model previous first owner bought it from the shop where it was a demo pair. I change steel suspension headband, new Audeze leather ear pads. It became like new and was my favourite headphone until I bought a new ZMF Verite Open LTD in Pheasant wood. When Verite came, I love it so much that I was using it only and all my other headphones of LCD-3f and HD800 are forgotten. I sold off LCD-3f still in great condition with no drivers issue and nearly sold off the HD800 but I change my mind last moment because I want to preserve a bit of Sennheiser glory.

After a year of Verite, I needed something a bit more tingling at the top end and with a bit more weight in the lower register. A mint condition 2016 LCD-3f came up for sale and I bought it at a good price with case and cables the works. Pads were old and seasoned but very comfortable. Headband is the brown variety but comfortable because the tension has been loosen a bit. Then one day 2 months ago, I got a call and was excited to receive it and somehow swipe the LCD-3f from the table to the carpet floor. I was shocked and thought that's the end of my LCD-3f. I look at it and one of the metal yoke was slightly bend, the brown seasoned ear pads were a bit ripped. I was heart broken but I put it on to listen and was surprised that it still sounded like when I first bought it ie. there's no damage to the drivers, wooden cups - so.... I call up the shop and ask them to order in new metal yoke assembly, new steel suspension headband and new Audeze leather ear pads and ask them to install it for me for a small fee of AUD $42. All in I paid AUD $428 for these new replacements parts and service fee but the headphone came back like new ! My LCD-X is only a few months old so it's perfect in condition. My LCD-3f with those replacements now look as new as my LCD-X.

So long story short.... I have never had any drivers issues with LCD-2f, 2 x LCD-3f and LCD-X.

And this is not Audeze but my 2 year old HiFiMan He1000se that I bought used but look like mint and almost new also have no drivers issue since the start of this year. Touch wood. This is now my fav headphone and if the drivers fail it's out of warranty and I will be out of pocket for any drivers replacement. However banish the thought because this He1000se will not fail and if it did, I will buy a new one. :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #11,870 of 12,748
Thanks for the proper explanation, it helps a lot.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #11,871 of 12,748
Only qc issues I had was crinkle on lcd x and crack on lcd 2. Sound wise I like those two models over Hifiman line except for the HE-6. Recently bought LCD X XC and converted it to LCD X. That is my favorite Audeze model so far.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #11,872 of 12,748
Well, we heard so many things that... probably most are BS... Not even the company is 15 years old I think, it is therefore impossible. Also, current drivers quality is the question... I really don't see 5 year old units out there pretty much never, even used units for sale are still inside the 3 year waranty, or just expired. Never see a 10 year old unit for sale, so... :thinking:

Well, for what it's worth, my LCD-X iteration has been available at Amazon.com since Nov. 2014, although I purchased it pre-owned in early 2017, still in very pristine condition, and have not experienced any issues with it, ever, although I confess getting paranoid about it over a period of about 6 months, when i purchased it, after reading too many reviews about Audeze driver issues. I just got tired of those reviews after a while, and simply concentrated on enjoying the cans, and the rest is history..., by which I mean that they're still performing like champions...

The pads do look somewhat beat up and worn, but they're not damaged, so I have not replaced them although I have had a set of Dekoni replacement pads sitting on my shelf for more than a year now, mostly out of being intimidated by the prospect of removing the old pads. Still there is no rush, as the the "battle-scarred" looks of the original ones give them a certain air of "gravitas" which I sometimes admire, and they still feel very comfortable on the ears.

To be fair, I do have other cans that I also use quite often, so my LCD-X has been in rotation since I got them, but they do see quite frequent use since I am quite fond of them.

Bottomline? They have not quite passed your 10 year-old durability test, but I think 6 years old without suffering any significant casualties is nothing to sneeze at... And did I mention that they do rock? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #11,873 of 12,748

Not LCD-X, but here is nine years old LCD2 Rev 2. Still live and kicking healthily.

2020_1103_05251900.jpg

While it's true that you read some Audeze headphones have defect problem, generally they still low in percentage compare to unit sold out there. At least that's what happen here in south east asia market.

I think most of people who own (exact same unit) headphones for more than 10 years won't think to sell their collection unless desperately need money.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #11,874 of 12,748
I’m a “hoarder” and rarely sell audio gear lately. So it’s unlikely that you will ever see me selling LCDX. Some of the pieces have sentimental value, others represent a piece of history in audio engineering in American history. Phonitor X/LCDX is one of those combinations. Decware Audio tube amps and Klipsch Cornwalls 4 is another combo that represents a piece of audio history. So is retirement pet project of Denise Had (left Cary Audio) Dragon Inspire. Perhaps not the most esoteric amp ever build but it’s special to me personally.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #11,875 of 12,748
So is retirement pet project of Denise Had (left Cary Audio) Dragon Inspire. Perhaps not the most esoteric amp ever build but it’s special to me personally.

Dennis might be offended at giving credit to his daughter (Denise) for the Inspire, but you never know. :smile::smile:

(I know, I know...everyone loves a nitpicker)

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #11,876 of 12,748
Dennis might be offended at giving credit to his daughter (Denise) for the Inspire, but you never know. :smile::smile:

(I know, I know...everyone loves a nitpicker)
Lol It’s a phone/fat fingers thing.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #11,877 of 12,748
I own LCD-X and looking to move to my next for source and amp. Currently Modi3+Asgard 2. Thoughts on the sound of Modius+Magnius running balanced? Not looking to exceed $1K for both. Also eyeing a90+d90 non MQA used.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #11,878 of 12,748
I own LCD-X and looking to move to my next for source and amp. Currently Modi3+Asgard 2. Thoughts on the sound of Modius+Magnius running balanced? Not looking to exceed $1K for both. Also eyeing a90+d90 non MQA used.
Found the Topping amp so dry and characterless - though that is why its up there on ASR ranking for its transparancy...an alternate could be a TDA1541 based new gen board DAC and Flux FA-10 amp (have not got my F10 yet), but all seems good for X from multiple reports.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #11,879 of 12,748
Quite a few LCD-X owner seem to be happy running them straight from RME-ADI2. I can confirm it is a pretty delightful combo for the price. With Reveal+ and 2dB extra bass it is fun and clean at the same time.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #11,880 of 12,748

I would go for RME DAC-amp, or asgard 3 + denafrips ares 2 dac, or topping E30 + jotenheim 2, or...

In delta sigma dacs, go RME or go cheap, otherwise better go R2R dac or multibit dac. lot of amps to choose out there. I think Schiit 5 year warranty it is something to consider, compared to chinese stuff... knb sizes, durability... sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back