Audeze LCD-X
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #11,836 of 12,748
What's weird is that the XC sounds more like what I'd expect from an open-back, and the X sounds more like what I'd expect from a closed-back. In other words, the XC has that brighter, faster, cleaner sound, while the X has a better bass extension and presence and a richer sound. They complement each other very nicely though, I must say.
That is curious. This makes me want to try the xc

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #11,837 of 12,748
Hey guys, i read something like the last 150 pages. i have a chance to go for a 2-year-old audeze LCD-X.
should the durability concern me? anyone had durability issues? im not talking about the headband or cable, drivers solely.
Id be happy to get your insights, im gonna get them for around 750$.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #11,838 of 12,748
That is curious. This makes me want to try the xc
You should give them a try. I bought mine used last spring so I don't know which driver generation they are but I find myself enjoying their sound more than the X. I will also say that to my ears the XC is not as bright as the X (current gen) which may be why I like them better. Pair them up with my Micro BL & Roon with the Audeze settings and it's downright magical. No boomines at all. The beauty of the ear cups only adds to their magic.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #11,839 of 12,748
Hey guys, i read something like the last 150 pages. i have a chance to go for a 2-year-old audeze LCD-X.
should the durability concern me? anyone had durability issues? im not talking about the headband or cable, drivers solely.

Thanks!

I mean, thats a pretty good price. Its always a chance but I personaly took the used leap for a bit more than that and have been happy so far

You should give them a try. I bought mine used last spring so I don't know which driver generation they are but I find myself enjoying their sound more than the X. I will also say that to my ears the XC is not as bright as the X (current gen) which may be why I like them better. Pair them up with my Micro BL & Roon with the Audeze settings and it's downright magical. No boomines at all. The beauty of the ear cups only adds to their magic.

Have you tried spacing the cups off yet? Everyone i have talked to that has tried it says its transforms the XC to something even better. A buddy of mine who has the entire lineup except legacy products rated it only behind the 3 as his favorite (because he just prefers the tonality of the 3)

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #11,840 of 12,748
Here is the photo between X and V2 as promised

2021_0121_12462300.jpg

Both tune closer to neutral with lifelike presentation, but with infuse of "house sound" from their each brand that add uniqueness and make them special.

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #11,842 of 12,748
Thanks!
I've got a second hand 2 years old lcdx too, for around same price as yours. They are in very good shape. Failed drivers have nothing to do with aging, it's more of a bad luck. And you still have 1 year warranty. I would totally go for it.

Well. I do really like the lcdx and i don't consider them specially bright, just about right. (I've got the late 2018 model). I wouldn't go for a darker headphones. But if xc sound larger or bigger soundstage, may be worth to try.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #11,843 of 12,748
To my ears the soundstage is about the same between the X & XC. Again, my XC were purchased used, with the old style headband & ear pads. One thing different on mine is I was unable to get the replacement Audeze pads so I went with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin, non-fenestrated. Compared to the current-gen Audeze pads on my X, the Dekonis are noticeably thicker in the back.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #11,844 of 12,748
To my ears the soundstage is about the same between the X & XC. Again, my XC were purchased used, with the old style headband & ear pads. One thing different on mine is I was unable to get the replacement Audeze pads so I went with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin, non-fenestrated. Compared to the current-gen Audeze pads on my X, the Dekonis are noticeably thicker in the back.
I thought I read somewhere the presentation of the xc was more open and not so boxy as the x. Maybe i got it wrong.
Anyway. With this pandemic thing my favourite shop is not giving me the option to test any headphones. So...

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #11,845 of 12,748
What depth of field and a sharp focus can do. Stunning picture. What gear was used to produce that?

Thanks! I was using Fujifilm X100V.

Well. I do really like the lcdx and i don't consider them specially bright, just about right. (I've got the late 2018 model). I wouldn't go for a darker headphones. But if xc sound larger or bigger soundstage, may be worth to try.

The recent LCD-X is way better than old version I had before (around 2013-2014). More air, clearer sound overall, without being sharp, midrange timbre is more accurate now, and that bass... it's still great as ever.

Compare to old LCD-XC (I just AB them yesterday), the recent X is clearly the winner in imaging, black background, air between instrument, and more natural timbre. Big bonus, X also smoother in upper mid area when reproduce sibilant on recording.

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #11,846 of 12,748
Thanks! I was using Fujifilm X100V.

The recent LCD-X is way better than old version I had before (around 2013-2014). More air, clearer sound overall, without being sharp, midrange timbre is more accurate now, and that bass... it's still great as ever.

Compare to old LCD-XC (I just AB them yesterday), the recent X is clearly the winner in imaging, black background, air between instrument, and more natural timbre. Big bonus, X also smoother in upper mid area when reproduce sibilant on recording.
That's good to hear. I can see that you have 2020 LCD-Xs with metal mesh grilles, but how many fazors do you count? There's some discussion about the drivers now having 6 instead of 8 fazors/magnets.
-Mark.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #11,847 of 12,748
That's good to hear. I can see that you have 2020 LCD-Xs with metal mesh grilles, but how many fazors do you count? There's some discussion about the drivers now having 6 instead of 8 fazors/magnets.
-Mark.
2018 version has 8.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #11,848 of 12,748

I can confirm this as a 2020 (metal mesh) LCD-X owner. (Mine is a year old now though.)

-Mark.
I have just counted the fazors on mine a couple of days ago. It is 8.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #11,849 of 12,748
My LCD-X is Oct 2020, ordered from Audeze direct with an extra Audeze hard case. :) No wonder it's a Lieutenant to my He1000se who is the Colonel of course. The LCD-3f is the Captain and my HD800 is the ... oh well he has been honourably discharged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back