Audeze LCD-X
Jan 17, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #11,821 of 12,748
For the last 15 days I've been using the He1000se. It was very enjoyable but since this morning, I've been listening and using LCD-3f and LCD-X with Schiit Mjolnir 2. I actually love the Audeze(s) just as much despite the Hekse. Still can't decide which of the 2 Audeze I like more. I still like the Hekse the most.

I think I will keep the 3 and X even if I buy the 4. The LCD-3f have new headband and pads and feels as new as the X now. Those who have heard both the 3 and X will know the tone difference. I just enjoy them both :) and my neck still hurts after long listening sessions.

IMG_1710.jpg

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #11,822 of 12,748
Alright @TheMiddleSky I'm back again. So you suggest the LCD-4z. Hmmm seems to be a lighter version of LCD-4 but somehow I prefer the looks of the LCD-4. Might consider it. Same price.

Now back on the Benchmark HAP4. I'm still listening to Hekse with SP200 this morning. I'm listening for glare, for sibilance and I've been listening for 2 hours... and I find none. Instead I find engagement, energy, excitement and PRAT..... hahahha I have never use that word for a very long time... but it's quite fitting now. :wink:

Anyhoo, I could get the HPA4 for around AUD$4500 or less here from a supplier here I have been talking to. Still thinking of the Violectric v590 to be honest but I don't know how that sound even though I have the v280 but I think the v280 is warmer ...

Now your last part of the conversation talks about the Abyss Diana V2... I might just have to go to the shop for an audition when I go to collect my LCD-3f today.

4Z is literally "lighter" version of LCD-4 in every ways. Lighter on head, lighter to drive, and lighter on tonality (in good way).

If I have to pick two most neutral of Audeze, then they would be LCD-X and LCD-4Z. That's why for people who love X, I think should give 4Z a try when want something better.

Abyss and some reviewers might wrote Diana V2 as something thick/full body kind of sound, but truth to be told, still on closer to neutral character than any Audeze headphones.

Ok I did not try the LCD-4Z on Sat when I visited Minidisc. Instead I tried Susvara with Chord Hugo TT2 + M Scalar + Auris Nirvana. Next time I'll try LCD-4Z. :)

That sound like a great weekend on your side! I love Susvara, but never heard Nirvana, I bet they pair great though!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #11,823 of 12,748
For the last 15 days I've been using the He1000se. It was very enjoyable but since this morning, I've been listening and using LCD-3f and LCD-X with Schiit Mjolnir 2. I actually love the Audeze(s) just as much despite the Hekse. Still can't decide which of the 2 Audeze I like more. I still like the Hekse the most.

I think I will keep the 3 and X even if I buy the 4. The LCD-3f have new headband and pads and feels as new as the X now. Those who have heard both the 3 and X will know the tone difference. I just enjoy them both :) and my neck still hurts after long listening sessions.

IMG_1710.jpg
More sub-bass quantity in 3F ?

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #11,825 of 12,748
That poster only counts magnets from the earpad side. I believe the earpad opening is only large enough to show 6 magnets.

It's also been directly confirmed by Audeze customer support that the current XC's have 6 fazors.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #11,827 of 12,748
Any reasoning behind that? Weight reduction could be a possibility. As far as I know the XC is around 70-90g heavier than the X.

None given. They answer engineering questions like they're being deposed. If I were to speculate, I'd say it's primarily as part of a revoicing, as these sound different from the descriptions I've read of the older XC's. Of course, that's not exactly an A/B. I wouldn't even venture that much if there were some other source of info on these. Weight reduction seems like just a bonus, since the new lower weight doesn't even appear under the official specs. It's also possible that I'm measuring inaccurately as far as absolute weight in grams, but they weigh the same as the 8 fazor'd X I have.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #11,828 of 12,748
None given. They answer engineering questions like they're being deposed. If I were to speculate, I'd say it's primarily as part of a revoicing, as these sound different from the descriptions I've read of the older XC's. Of course, that's not exactly an A/B. I wouldn't even venture that much if there were some other source of info on these. Weight reduction seems like just a bonus, since the new lower weight doesn't even appear under the official specs. It's also possible that I'm measuring inaccurately as far as absolute weight in grams, but they weigh the same as the 8 fazor'd X I have.
Audeze has always been shy about the weights.
If it was revoicing why would they do it on the XC and not on the X? Just wondering.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #11,829 of 12,748
4Z is literally "lighter" version of LCD-4 in every ways. Lighter on head, lighter to drive, and lighter on tonality (in good way).

If I have to pick two most neutral of Audeze, then they would be LCD-X and LCD-4Z. That's why for people who love X, I think should give 4Z a try when want something better.

Abyss and some reviewers might wrote Diana V2 as something thick/full body kind of sound, but truth to be told, still on closer to neutral character than any Audeze headphones.

That sound like a great weekend on your side! I love Susvara, but never heard Nirvana, I bet they pair great though!

If LCD-4Z is a lighter tone than LCD-4 then I would gravitate to LCD-4 instead. I wanted a variation after having Hekse which I really like by the way. However I will try out LCD-4z because I will only know it when I try it. :)

I have heard Abyss ab 1266 phi only once at a meet with my Yggdrasil and Ragnarok and then I switch the amp to my friend's Woo WA5LE. With the WA5, it sounded better to my ears. Though I love the Abyss but I was more impressed with the Utopia at the same meet. I have not heard the most recent TC yet. By the way, I still can't get over that head torture device shape.

That weekend with Chord Hugo TT2 + M Scalar + Auris Nirvana + Susvara is a day in infamy. :) I'm not influenced by price but I'm very impressed with what I heard. If I wanted to, I could make it happen but I would have to explain to the boss what happen to the family puppy.

...and this puppy can talk and he has very sharp listening ears !
0147a898-3fce-411e-bbe6-cfa82637a858.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #11,830 of 12,748
More sub-bass quantity in 3F ?

What @betula said in the following post. 3 is more relax, X is clearer and has more energy. Because 3 is warmer, it does gives the impression that it has more sub bass. X bass is just tighter because it's more lean but there's no doubt both are lovely Audeze bass.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #11,833 of 12,748
Anyone know the SN cut off for the 2016 driver revision?

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #11,835 of 12,748
Apparently so that people stop converting them from XC to X and vice versa just by changing the grilles and cups))

What's weird is that the XC sounds more like what I'd expect from an open-back, and the X sounds more like what I'd expect from a closed-back. In other words, the XC has that brighter, faster, cleaner sound, while the X has a better bass extension and presence and a richer sound. They complement each other very nicely though, I must say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back