Audeze LCD-X
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #11,507 of 12,748
True.
Despite that somewhere I still have a pathological desire to upgrade and upgrade because maayyybe the new drivers sound better, even if the change is infinitesimal.
But I won't risk it. Cheers

I know that feeling. RESIST!!! 😬

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #11,508 of 12,748
Hi all

I've had a pair of LCD2C's for over a year now and while I really enjoy them, I find myself looking at the X recently wondering whether it's time for an upgrade.

So my question to those that have experience with both: is it considered an upgrade on all fronts? Or is it a case of upgrades in certain areas and downgrades in others? (I've read some mention the soundstage isn't as wide on the X for instance, not sure how true that is or whether it's a big difference)

Another question is how really noticable is the increase in weight in terms of comfort? The 2C's don't really bother me and I can typically listen for a couple hours without any fatigue from the weight.

Finally, I'm assuming the driver variation issue isn't as prevalent anymore? Is be aiming for the newer version with the suspension headband similar to the 2C's.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #11,509 of 12,748
Hi all

I've had a pair of LCD2C's for over a year now and while I really enjoy them, I find myself looking at the X recently wondering whether it's time for an upgrade.

So my question to those that have experience with both: is it considered an upgrade on all fronts? Or is it a case of upgrades in certain areas and downgrades in others? (I've read some mention the soundstage isn't as wide on the X for instance, not sure how true that is or whether it's a big difference)

Another question is how really noticable is the increase in weight in terms of comfort? The 2C's don't really bother me and I can typically listen for a couple hours without any fatigue from the weight.

Finally, I'm assuming the driver variation issue isn't as prevalent anymore? Is be aiming for the newer version with the suspension headband similar to the 2C's.

Thanks in advance!

I never had problem to wear LCD 2C for few hours. For LCD-X I think 45-60 minutes is my limit.

What do you think you want to improve from 2C? Character wise, you should go to LCD-3F instead (similar weight problem as X for me).

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #11,510 of 12,748
IMO LCDX is more technical, better resolution headphone but I am not sure if it is a substantial upgrade over 2C (or at least standard LCD-2F). Is it better? I think it is but I would rather upgrade to something that offers more substantial difference in performance. You would have to go up to 1.5-2.5K price range tho. That’s a big step in price and might not be in your budget.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #11,511 of 12,748
Hi all

Thanks in advance!
The X is noticeably heavier than the 2C, but I am actually fine with the weight. It is well distributed and I like the huge pads just as on the 2C. The LCD4 is much heavier than the LCD-X. So while the X is a heavy headphone, it is still not the heaviest. (550g vs 620g vs 710g)

When it comes to sound the technical performance of the X is clearly better than the 2C. Higher resolution, more details, better extension on both ends. Better detail and clarity on the X, which is the most obvious in the bass and treble. Treble is brighter than your usual Audeze, the X is actually the brightest Audeze, but it still is Audeze.
Bass lines are much clearer and better defined than on the 2C.

The 2C is little warmer, a little softer in comparison. A little more laid back. Less clean, less detailed but very pleasing. A slightly more comfortable, more relaxing sound. What the 2C does better IMO is vocals. Vocals on the 2C just sound a bit more alive due to that additional hint of warmth. Vocals on the X sound clearer and more detailed but it is more like a studio sound and not that much of a 'small venue' kind of tone. In everything else the X is superior.

For late night relaxing where technicalities, details and resolution is not that important, the 2C is a perfect choice. After experiencing the technical capabilities and extra dynamism of the X I found it difficult to go back and justify keeping the 2C as well. I mostly listen to electronic ambient where the X is just much more fun with its clarity and clear, punchy, dynamic bass. 2C sounds softer and less clear in comparison.

I would say preference probably depends on needs and taste. While the 2C is an excellent choice under 1K, the X definitely plays in the 1K-1.5K league even in 2020. And with some luck you can get a nice secondhand pair under 1K which makes them excellent value for money.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #11,512 of 12,748
Hi all

Thanks in advance!

I've owned my LCD-Xs since 2014 and after all that time they're still my favourite pair of cans. I have listened to headphones 1k+ more expensive and either found the increase in perceivable quality so minute that it didn't justify the increase in price or found my LCD-Xs flat out better, or at least more satisfying to listen to.

Never upgraded the drivers nor the headband btw ( why fix something that ain't broken) and they're still kicking to this day and I still listen 3/4 hours to them daily

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #11,513 of 12,748
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've been listening to my brother's HD800 over the course of the weekend, and the clarity and instrument seperation was really nice and makes the LCD2C's seem a bit congested in comparison. I wouldn't go so far as to say the senns are more enjoyable as the bass is quite far behind the Audezes in terms of quality, and they are also a bit too bright for my taste (I end up listening at a lower volume level compared to the Audezes to avoid fatigue).

So in terms of what I'd be looking for in terms of improvement, I guess it would be that clarity, imaging and instrument seperation, while keeping that planar bass and Audeze tonality (slightly dark)

I was thinking that the LCD-X might fit that definition, hence my interest. My budget would be up to $1k so it just about fits. The 4's aren't an option at the moment

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #11,514 of 12,748

I've been listening to my brother's HD800 over the course of the weekend, and the clarity and instrument seperation was really nice and makes the LCD2C's seem a bit congested in comparison. I wouldn't go so far as to say the senns are more enjoyable as the bass is quite far behind the Audezes in terms of quality, and they are also a bit too bright for my taste (I end up listening at a lower volume level compared to the Audezes to avoid fatigue).

So in terms of what I'd be looking for in terms of improvement, I guess it would be that clarity, imaging and instrument seperation, while keeping that planar bass and Audeze tonality (slightly dark)

I was thinking that the LCD-X might fit that definition, hence my interest. My budget would be up to $1k so it just about fits. The 4's aren't an option at the moment
It sounds like you should definitely audition the X. I stick with these for the exceptional bass performance. (Quality over quantity, excellent extension and energy.) It is hard to find any other headphone that does bass better under 2K. Yes, there is more lifelike mids or airier treble under 2K but no better quality bass. And I do love my bass high quality (clarity, extension, detail, slam).

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #11,515 of 12,748

For what it's worth the Xs have the best bass/low frequency response I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Once you're accustomed to planar bass it's very hard to be satisfied with other headphones ( depending on your preference of course); it's just so visceral.

I own the HD800 as well. Its soundstage is a legendary trait that I find a bit overrated for most genres and ideal for some where you really need a sense of spaciousness. But it can feel a bit dry, boring almost, to my ears at least.

The Xs seem to be what you're looking for, but course I can only advise to audition and let your ears guide your purse

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #11,516 of 12,748

Although I have no lcd-2 experience to offer, I think that the lcd-x may be exactly what you’re looking for. They’re not going to do ‘space’ quite like the big Sennheisers, but they won’t ever get shrill either. I have LCD-X and Anax modified HD700, and the X is still much darker by comparison, although I would never call it slow or dark. I think the X is the more natural sounding headset, and it’s got plenty of that planar bass to fall in love with. For context, I mostly listen to jazz and classical, with some good ol’ Grateful Dead thrown in for texture.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #11,517 of 12,748
If you are a true bass fan/connoisseur, dynamic drivers simply can't satisfy you. With all the compromises you have to narrow down your search to planar headphones.
That said, yes, there is the Ananada or the Arya as an alternative. Their traits are spaciousness and a well balanced natural sound. (Arya more than Ananda). But none of the HiFIMans have the bass authority, punch and slam of the heavy 106mm Audeze transducers. Perhaps the Arya is a good compromise but if you are after ultimate bass energy, authority and slam the LCD-X is the way forward. Sure, it is heavy. But you need heavy and big magnets to reach that bass performance. Something for something. If you just want a good planar, pick the Arya. If you are after ultimate bass performance, pick the X.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #11,518 of 12,748
Thanks everyone. It seems like I'm on the right track based on the comments received. I'm not in any hurry, so I'll wait until a good deal comes along before making a move. The 2c's are still thoroughly enjoyable as my daily driver :)

Regarding the Ananda and Arya, I just can't bring myself to lay down that kind of cash knowing that QC is lacking. If I were in the US it might not be an issue, but from across the Atlantic it's just too risky I'm afraid

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #11,519 of 12,748
Why is the LCD-X one of my favourite and perhaps the best value for money headphones for my taste?

It all boils down to personal taste fellows. Don't believe any comments, any reviews, in the end it is all personal taste. You have to try it yourself to know what you like.

I often found my personal taste is not in line with the actual mainstream reviewers. I simply have to try it myself and trust my judgement. Wallet is the next major defying factor. What is the maximum amount you relatively easily spend on a great pair? £200? £1000? £3000? It is all so relative.

I love bass and I love a spacious and natural sound. Closed back headphones are usually bass kings (TH-900) but they lack the spaciousness and naturalness of open back headphones. Open back headphones however are unable to produce great bass by design. Great bass to me is ultimate extension (flat to 20Hz) clarity, balance, separation, punch, slam and dynamics. When it comes to open back design, only planars do can get close to my 'perfect bass' definition. All dynamic driver design lack something: extension, slam, balance, separation. On the other hand, no closed back design can compete with even a mid-fi open back headphone when it comes to natural and spacious sound.

The LCD-X offers awesome bass which is flat to 20Hz. There is bass cleanliness, separation and dynamics with slam. With its eloquent bass performance the LCD-X puts to shame many famous closed back opponents. At the same time you have the airy spaciousness and naturalness of open back design which can't be matched by any closed back competitor.

The fact that the LCD-X can easily be found under 1K these days makes them an absolutely outstanding candidate if your preference is similar to mine.

Forget about chasing one holy grail, you buy headphones to match your personal taste, usage scenario and budget. There are several holy grails out there based on personal preference.

At the same time not one headphone is 100% perfect.
I love the bass presentation of the LCD-X (which I think is better than some 2-3K flagships) the LCD-X is also not without fault. I would love to have slightly warmer and slightly sweeter vocals. Bass is pretty much perfect, treble is also not much more to wish for: clean and clear. 10% more treble energy would be too much for me (Focal Clear) the LCD-X is just on the higher-end of treble intensity that I still find pleasant (and clear enough).
Mids could be a bit 'closer to the soul', but it is a very minor grip especially with my music I like which is 80% electronic psychedelic ambient like CBL.

For bass quality and openness I am not sure if anything can beat the LCD-X. Definitely not under 1K or not even under 2K.
Love my lcd-x. However, you mentioned the problem with closed backs. I have searched for years for a natural sounding set, and at last I have found them. The Kennerton GH50 has had an effect on me in the way the lcd-x did, though it has its own sound. Great clarity and soundstage. The problem is finding some to listen to! I wouldn't expect anyone to take a chance on them but I'm glad I did.

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #11,520 of 12,748
Who is the LCD-X for in 2020?

- Someone who can live with headphones over 500g. (Honestly, it is not that bad.)
- Someone who is not a millionaire to easily pay 3-4K for flagship headphones.
- Someone whose top priorities is pristine bass performance. (Clarity, extension, separation, punch and slam.)
- Someone who likes a clear and relatively neutral sound with great energy, slam, punch and dynamism.
- Mostly for people who like modern music genres.
- Someone who wants £1500-2000 technical performance for half the price.
- Someone who simply can't go back to sub £1000 headphones after experiencing improved technicalities.
- The LCD-X is currently a sweet deal for people who want quality bass but struggle to pay more than 1K-1.5K.
- In fact, if you only look at the bass performance the LCD-X is still hard to beat under 2K. Yes, there is more lifelike vocal (ZMF) or airier treble (HEK1000V2) for the price, but there is definitely no better bass than Audeze with its 106 mm double sided planar transducer when it comes to effortless bass extension, energy, dynamics, punch and slam. And I am addicted to those qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back