Audeze LCD-X
Oct 1, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,537 of 12,748
Who is the LCD-X for in 2020?

- Someone who can live with headphones over 500g. (Honestly, it is not that bad.)
- Someone who is not a millionaire to easily pay 3-4K for flagship headphones.
- Someone whose top priorities is pristine bass performance. (Clarity, extension, separation, punch and slam.)
- Someone who likes a clear and relatively neutral sound with great energy, slam, punch and dynamism.
- Mostly for people who like modern music genres.
- Someone who wants £1500-2000 technical performance for half the price.
- Someone who simply can't go back to sub £1000 headphones after experiencing improved technicalities.
- The LCD-X is currently a sweet deal for people who want quality bass but struggle to pay more than 1K-1.5K.
- In fact, if you only look at the bass performance the LCD-X is still hard to beat under 2K. Yes, there is more lifelike vocal (ZMF) or airier treble (HEK1000V2) for the price, but there is definitely no better bass than Audeze with its 106 mm double sided planar transducer when it comes to effortless bass extension, energy, dynamics, punch and slam. And I am addicted to those qualities.

You are selling me on these. I was going to go for the GX but decided to check out some information on the X. I can swing the extra money and then grab the mic they have on the Audeze store.

The fact that they can be driven fairy easy is a great plus for me too. I came here looking for a post where I would say "Ah yes.. just save the extra $$$ moeny and get the GX" now I am in the other direction

The only thing that scares me is the weight but I really don't listen to music or game for long session much. Mostly 1-1.5 hours a day during the weekday and about 3-4 hours in the weekend. I guess my neck will get strong, lol.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #11,538 of 12,748
Hi,

do you think the Topping D70 with Lake People g109 will be a good pairing with the LCD-X?

Or perhaps you can advice if seperately they are good with them.

I've got the very similarly spec'd Violectric HPA V90, which is from Lake People's sister company AFAIK, and it drives the X well. The Violectric house sound pairs quite nicely with planars and there is plenty of power. I think you'll be in fine shape.

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #11,539 of 12,748
You are selling me on these. I was going to go for the GX but decided to check out some information on the X. I can swing the extra money and then grab the mic they have on the Audeze store.

The fact that they can be driven fairy easy is a great plus for me too. I came here looking for a post where I would say "Ah yes.. just save the extra $$$ moeny and get the GX" now I am in the other direction

The only thing that scares me is the weight but I really don't listen to music or game for long session much. Mostly 1-1.5 hours a day during the weekday and about 3-4 hours in the weekend. I guess my neck will get strong, lol.

They’re not so heavy that you need to worry about it. Between the cushy earpads and the generous headband, I find them very luxurious and, I daresay, comfortable. Indeed, I fall asleep wearing mine regularly.

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #11,540 of 12,748

One thing to consider the LCD-X is quite source dependent to my experience. They don't need much power, but they need a good match with amp (and DAC). With certain pairings they can sound a bit 'too linear' or unexciting. It is good to have a source with some adjustability, as even 2db extra bass can add insane amount of fun, when you want to rock out. :)

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #11,541 of 12,748
The only thing that scares me is the weight but I really don't listen to music or game for long session much.
You could always add these Nuggets to minimize pressure point from the top of your head. Looks silly but it works.
A1054589-5AD0-4CC7-BA37-31167A87F84A.jpeg

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #11,542 of 12,748
One thing to consider the LCD-X is quite source dependent to my experience. They don't need much power, but they need a good match with amp (and DAC). With certain pairings they can sound a bit 'too linear' or unexciting. It is good to have a source with some adjustability, as even 2db extra bass can add insane amount of fun, when you want to rock out. :)

I was looking at some amps from ifi since they have the bass boost feature or I could get a Loki. I’m not hooked up to a PC so I can’t do the traditional EQ :frowning2:

You could always add these Nuggets to minimize pressure point from the top of your head. Looks silly but it works.
A1054589-5AD0-4CC7-BA37-31167A87F84A.jpeg
Comfort > Fashion. I’ll try it out if I get the head phone.

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #11,543 of 12,748
I was looking at some amps from ifi since they have the bass boost feature or I could get a Loki. I’m not hooked up to a PC so I can’t do the traditional EQ :frowning2:

Comfort > Fashion. I’ll try it out if I get the head phone.
JDS EL2 stack pairs very well and I think you'll be really surprised at how well the headband distributes the weight.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #11,544 of 12,748
I'm confused. Audeze sells these as ''referance'' and talks about studio usage but all the measurement i have seen so far these are even less neutral than LCD 2.
graph (3).png

I also checked the reviews and people say LCD X is brighter ? Weird.

Edit: From Audeze website:

The LCD-2 delivers audiophile quality, low-distortion sound that articulates the power and nuance of your favorite music. Continuous evolution and the addition of Fazor Technology has enhanced its transparency and overall performance. 70 ohms impedance.

The LCD-2 Classic comes with special glass-infused nylon rings, and features the wonderful, warm and laid-back sound signature of the original 70 ohm LCD-2 pre-Fazor drivers. A little more spacious sounding than the LCD-2 but with less specific imaging.

Many say the LCD-X is the most neutral of the LCD Collection; they’re used by sound engineers and musicians to create the most accurate recordings. They do a great job of translating your mix to the real world.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #11,545 of 12,748
I'm confused. Audeze sells these as ''referance'' and talks about studio usage but all the measurement i have seen so far these are even less neutral than LCD 2.
graph (3).png

I also checked the reviews and people say LCD X is brighter ? Weird.

Edit: From Audeze website:

The LCD-2 delivers audiophile quality, low-distortion sound that articulates the power and nuance of your favorite music. Continuous evolution and the addition of Fazor Technology has enhanced its transparency and overall performance. 70 ohms impedance.

The LCD-2 Classic comes with special glass-infused nylon rings, and features the wonderful, warm and laid-back sound signature of the original 70 ohm LCD-2 pre-Fazor drivers. A little more spacious sounding than the LCD-2 but with less specific imaging.

Many say the LCD-X is the most neutral of the LCD Collection; they’re used by sound engineers and musicians to create the most accurate recordings. They do a great job of translating your mix to the real world.
Graphs can easily be a bit misleading. And let's face it, there is some driver variation too. Perhaps less in 2020 than ever before, but I definitely listened to three quite different pairs of LCD-3.
I would agree that the LCD-X is the most neutral and brightest LCD, but it still is an LCD. Yes, the LCD2/2C is a bit warmer and a little more laid back. The X has a little brighter and more detailed treble and sounds more dynamic. The X handles EQ better than the 2/2C.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #11,546 of 12,748
How does the LCD3 and LCD4 sound, compared with the LCD-X? I have the X and, although I like them, I add a bit boost to mids and trebles. They are especially great with rock/metal.

Presumably the LCD3 and LCD4 may be slightly more resolving? But are they less bright than the LCDX?

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #11,547 of 12,748
How does the LCD3 and LCD4 sound, compared with the LCD-X? I have the X and, although I like them, I add a bit boost to mids and trebles. They are especially great with rock/metal.

Presumably the LCD3 and LCD4 may be slightly more resolving? But are they less bright than the LCDX?
I would say both the LCD3 and the LCD4 are less bright, but compared to other headphones I wouldn't consider the LCDX bright at all. It is just the brightest of the dark bunch...

I don't think the LCD3 is much more resolving, about on par with the X. A completely different experience though. The LCD3 is a more resolving and refined LCD2. If you get a good pair. The X has a slightly different style. Less warmth, more dynamics.

The LCD4 is significantly more resolving than the X or the 3. The most refined Audeze sound. But at that cost you start to consider other flagships too.

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #11,548 of 12,748
Graphs can easily be a bit misleading. And let's face it, there is some driver variation too. Perhaps less in 2020 than ever before, but I definitely listened to three quite different pairs of LCD-3.
I would agree that the LCD-X is the most neutral and brightest LCD, but it still is an LCD. Yes, the LCD2/2C is a bit warmer and a little more laid back. The X has a little brighter and more detailed treble and sounds more dynamic. The X handles EQ better than the 2/2C.
Most graphs and reviews follows this trend. So this is not rare measurement. Another one:
LCD X: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rolh06intj8gll4/Audeze LCD-X S:N 7525087.pdf?dl=0
LCD 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqkdze8w82zguyj/Audeze LCD-2 Fazor.pdf?dl=0
I'm suspecting the treble sound brighter because of huge dip in the high mids/low treble.

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #11,549 of 12,748
I'm still trying to EQ my 2020 LCD-X and have been having a tough time. I think the out-of-the-box tuning really shines at higher volumes, where the upper-mids have good clarity with the thundering bass in the background giving weight to the music; at lower volumes for prolonged listening it's just too dark for my taste. I've been trying out various EQ settings (like oratory1990/AutoEq) to bring up the upper-mids, but it always seems to introduce glare and what's worse, compression into the upper-mids/treble. I have the LCD-X hooked up to a JDS Labs Element II DAC/AMP, so I don't think it's an issue of too little power.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #11,550 of 12,748

You better check 4Z rather than LCD 4 or 3 in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back