Audeze LCD-X
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #11,371 of 12,748
I went from the Clear being my ideal to the X. As you just stated the upper mid dip struck me at first but, yes, in a couple of hours I was completely over it and now I very much prefer the X (and XC) to the Clear. Who knows, maybe in a few months I’ll be back to the Clear but for now, whether it’s new toy syndrome or whatever, when I’m listening to my phones I reach for Audeze. The bass in both models is just perfect to my ears.
I'm looking forward to being able to compare both the LCD-X and Focal Clears so that I can choose which one sounds best to me.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #11,372 of 12,748
Go with copper if you want outstanding bass and details. Go with silver if you want the exact same sound, but with a silver cable.
I had my retailer make me an XLR silver plated copper litz cable for my LCD-2C and I'm getting much better detail in all frequencies compared to the stock SE cable that it came with. They're making me the same cable for my HD650.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #11,373 of 12,748
I'm looking forward to being able to compare both the LCD-X and Focal Clears so that I can choose which one sounds best to me.
I am looking forward to reading your comparison between the three headphones.
My guess is if you like the 2C you will like the X even more. (In case you don't mind the little extra weight.) The 2C is great, but the X even better: more clarity, more resolution, more punch.
To me the Clear was too forward and too aggressive and dynamic bass just can't compare to planar bass, but it is my personal taste only and mostly depends on my preferred music genres and the general tone of a headphone I like.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #11,374 of 12,748
I am looking forward to reading your comparison between the three headphones.
My guess is if you like the 2C you will like the X even more. (In case you don't mind the little extra weight.) The 2C is great, but the X even better: more clarity, more resolution, more punch.
To me the Clear was too forward and too aggressive and dynamic bass just can't compare to planar bass, but it is my personal taste only and mostly depends on my preferred music genres and the general tone of a headphone I like.
I'm liking the relaxed sound of the LCD-2c but I would like another headphone to give me a different "flavour" when I want a more analytical listening session.

I have considered the HD800s but haven't heard one of those either but I'm afraid it's going to be too piercing. So from what I've been reading, I'm thinking the LCD-X or Clear may be a reasonable possibility. I don't really want to spend more than the price of those headphones as I have been spending plenty already considering the recent LCD-2c, RME ADI-2 DAC and Vioelectric V280 purchases.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #11,375 of 12,748
I'm liking the relaxed sound of the LCD-2c but I would like another headphone to give me a different "flavour" when I want a more analytical listening session.

I have considered the HD800s but haven't heard one of those either but I'm afraid it's going to be too piercing. So from what I've been reading, I'm thinking the LCD-X or Clear may be a reasonable possibility. I don't really want to spend more than the price of those headphones as I have been spending plenty already considering the recent LCD-2c, RME ADI-2 DAC and Vioelectric V280 purchases.

I would suggest listening to the X before the Clear as the upper mid dip of the X will not seem so obvious then. If you do the reverse order then give the X a little time and you won't hear the dip at all.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #11,376 of 12,748
Sorry if this has already been hashed out previously. I’ve had my LCD-X for almost a year now, but still haven’t gotten used to the upper treble. There just seems too be much response for me around 10KHz and above. I like the midrange tuning b/c I don’t like pronounced upper mids. The bass sounds quite neutral to me, but really well extended.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #11,377 of 12,748
Sorry if this has already been hashed out previously. I’ve had my LCD-X for almost a year now, but still haven’t gotten used to the upper treble. There just seems too be much response for me around 10KHz and above. I like the midrange tuning b/c I don’t like pronounced upper mids. The bass sounds quite neutral to me, but really well extended.

I haven't heard that take before. The LCD X, while considered the most neutral of the line, is still considered to be on the warmer end of the spectrum compared to all headphones.

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #11,378 of 12,748
I haven't heard that take before. The LCD X, while considered the most neutral of the line, is still considered to be on the warmer end of the spectrum compared to all headphones.
That’s what I expected when I bought them, but the upper treble sure surprised me. To me, the treble sounds quite a bit brighter than my DT770s. I just have to use a little EQ, because my perception is that the highs pull the focus away from the mids.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #11,379 of 12,748
That’s what I expected when I bought them, but the upper treble sure surprised me. To me, the treble sounds quite a bit brighter than my DT770s. I just have to use a little EQ, because my perception is that the highs pull the focus away from the mids.
Treble is a tricky territory. Many claim to be treble sensitive including myself, but we seem to be sensitive to different frequencies. While the X is indeed an LCD with more treble than other LCDs, it is still not a bright or harsh treble compared to other headphones from other manufacturers. Even though I consider myself to be sensitive to treble, the treble on the X doesn't bother me at all. In fact I enjoy this treble clarity on the X compared to the 2f or 2C (or even 3f). Treble does bother me though on the HD800 or Clear.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #11,380 of 12,748
Treble is a tricky territory. Many claim to be treble sensitive including myself, but we seem to be sensitive to different frequencies. While the X is indeed an LCD with more treble than other LCDs, it is still not a bright or harsh treble compared to other headphones from other manufacturers. Even though I consider myself to be sensitive to treble, the treble on the X doesn't bother me at all. In fact I enjoy this treble clarity on the X compared to the 2f or 2C (or even 3f). Treble does bother me though on the HD800 or Clear.
It definitely is a subjective topic. With the LCD-X, it’s the upper treble that seems to bother me. I guess I’m just not used to listening to devices with such extended FR. I was just curious how others perceived it.

I know the HD 800 is notorious for treble-sensitive people

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #11,381 of 12,748
Hey guys, I posted a similar question in the Beyer DT1990Pro thread because I'm trying to decide on some open back music production headphones.
But I thought I would ask here because I think LCD-X could be the ultimate solution and I'm after some feedback.

I'm after a pair of cans for producing and mixing music (electronic, bass centric).
I'm after something neutral and 'pro' but not too harsh in the highs for longer sessions.

I'm considering LCD-X ($$$), Beyer DT 1990 Pros, Focal Elex or Adam SP-5 (or Ultrasone Signature Studios...super similar)
I think I will rule out the Adams/Ultrasone because I would prefer something Open back...

So really it is starting to come down to LCD-X vs DT1990Pros vs Elex...
Anyone here got any thoughts on what would be the best bet?
Does the weight of the LCD-X get a bit much over long sessions? (600g vs 370g vs 450g)
Is the bass quality/extension far superior on the LCD-X?

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #11,382 of 12,748
Hey guys, I posted a similar question in the Beyer DT1990Pro thread because I'm trying to decide on some open back music production headphones.
But I thought I would ask here because I think LCD-X could be the ultimate solution and I'm after some feedback.

I'm after a pair of cans for producing and mixing music (electronic, bass centric).
I'm after something neutral and 'pro' but not too harsh in the highs for longer sessions.

I'm considering LCD-X ($$$), Beyer DT 1990 Pros, Focal Elex or Adam SP-5 (or Ultrasone Signature Studios...super similar)
I think I will rule out the Adams/Ultrasone because I would prefer something Open back...

So really it is starting to come down to LCD-X vs DT1990Pros vs Elex...
Anyone here got any thoughts on what would be the best bet?
Does the weight of the LCD-X get a bit much over long sessions? (600g vs 370g vs 450g)
Is the bass quality/extension far superior on the LCD-X?
Yes, the bass quality/extension is far superior on the X. Perfect for electronic music. (I listen to a lot of Shpongle, Solar Fields, Asura kind of stuff.)
Regarding the weight it differs from person to person if they can live with it. It doesn't bother me too much, but you might want a 5 mins break after listening for a couple of hours.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #11,383 of 12,748
Yes, the bass quality/extension is far superior on the X. Perfect for electronic music. (I listen to a lot of Shpongle, Solar Fields, Asura kind of stuff.)
Regarding the weight it differs from person to person if they can live with it. It doesn't bother me too much, but you might want a 5 mins break after listening for a couple of hours.

I would add that the 1990 has a reputation for being quite hot in the treble. Never heard them myself but that's based on reviews from others I've seen.

Also, the LCD-X was purpose-built for mixing, at least according to Audeze, so take that for what it's worth. I was worried that it would be too analytical when I bought them but, as stated ad nauseam, they are my current favorite 'phones for enjoyment (i'm not a pro).

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #11,384 of 12,748

Good to hear. Love those artists too :)
Yeah, I do like having light 'phones like my Fostex. But I think its good having regular breaks anyway to refresh eyes and ears.. especially when working on something repetitive such as writing or mixing music.

I appreciate Josh Valour's reviews and sound signature tastes and he loves the X's. He also mentions the DT1990Pros are better in some regards like soundstage. Maybe they have slightly better detail too but for the tradeoff of being a bit bright/treble-hot. So I am definitely leaning towards the X's. Even if it takes me months longer to be able to afford/justify them :)

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #11,385 of 12,748
Good to hear. Love those artists too :)
Yeah, I do like having light 'phones like my Fostex. But I think its good having regular breaks anyway to refresh eyes and ears.. especially when working on something repetitive such as writing or mixing music.

I appreciate Josh Valour's reviews and sound signature tastes and he loves the X's. He also mentions the DT1990Pros are better in some regards like soundstage. Maybe they have slightly better detail too but for the tradeoff of being a bit bright/treble-hot. So I am definitely leaning towards the X's. Even if it takes me months longer to be able to afford/justify them :)

Keep an eye on eBay. I got mine for $950, open box from an authorized dealer so full warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back