Audeze LCD-X
Jun 15, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #11,401 of 12,748
Hi folks - I am new to the Forum. I bought a pair of Focal Clears. Although they were superb in many ways, I ended up sending them back as I found them slightly too bright (too revealing?) and slightly light in the bass. They were great on well recorded music but a bit harsh/fatiguing on less well recorded music. My 3,000 CD collection includes a fair amout of poorer recordings as well as great recordings!

After much online research, I am now thinking of trying the Audeze LCD-X. I am hoping they will be slightly less bright and have slightly more bass than the Focal Clears.

People who have done an A/B comparison LCD-X vs Clears: what do you think?

I use headphones with Naim DAC-V1 and Naim Supernait 2 amps. I like nearly all music genres - classical, jazz, blues, folk, country, pop, rock, metal......

Thanks,
Nick

The X is almost, but not quite, as detailed as the Clear without the extra sizzle up top and much more bass. Not sloppy, overdone bass.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #11,402 of 12,748
Thanks for the information.

Would you say the LCD-X sound good for all the music genres? People keep saying they are good for Rock and large orchestra Classical, but I need phones that can cope with all my tastes.........Vivaldi, Mozart, Coltrane, Krall, Fairport Convention, Joe Bonamassa, Howling Wolf, Joan Baez, Lucinda Williams, Bob Marley, Dixie Chicks, Adele, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater............you name it.....

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #11,403 of 12,748
Thanks for the information.

Would you say the LCD-X sound good for all the music genres? People keep saying they are good for Rock and large orchestra Classical, but I need phones that can cope with all my tastes.........Vivaldi, Mozart, Coltrane, Krall, Fairport Convention, Joe Bonamassa, Howling Wolf, Joan Baez, Lucinda Williams, Bob Marley, Dixie Chicks, Adele, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater............you name it.....
You may want to consider the HiFiMan Arya as well, it is probably more of an all rounder. BTW, I had the Clear for a while and returned them for the same reasons you mentioned. Bright, fatiguing and lightweight bass. I greatly prefer the X or the Arya over the Clear.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #11,404 of 12,748
I am hoping they will be slightly less bright and have slightly more bass than the Focal Clears.
I think this is pretty accurate.
+1 I would like to hear/see responses too. I have the 2C and I really like the laid back highs and nice bass. Thanks.
The 2C sounds more laid back than the X but the X is technically superior.

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #11,405 of 12,748
Don't know if the offer is still around, but I got mine from Moon Audio last year via their B-stock for $899. Could not find anything visually that would explain the B stock listing and looked brand new with no signs of usage. Fantastic buy.

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #11,406 of 12,748
Bit of a flashback into the past:

Fidelio X2: I loved the bass and a smooth sound, missed bass extension and resolve.
THX-X00: loved the bass slam and energy, missed spaciousness, naturalness.
Nighthawk: missed bass extension and slam, loved the smooth, natural sound.
LCD2C: loved that bass and tonality, missed some details and resolve.
Empyrean: absolutely loved all of it: highly resolving with natural spacious sound. But the price is horrendous, and I also missed a little bit of extra bass slam. I actually picked the Empyrean over the LCD4, even though the LCD4 has better bass extension, balance and detail. I found the Empyrean's lifelike and spacious presentation captivating. Still I somewhat missed the LCD bass impact and punch. (Apparently I am a true bass connoisseur.)

LCD-X: a budget priced sleeper in 2020?

LCD-X
: sure, it is not as spacious and natural as the Empyrean but the bass slam and impact is very satisfying. More lifelike than any other headphones under 1K and more impactful with better bass slam than most TOTL headphones. Sure,the X is not as spacious or detailed or coherent with finesse than most TOTL headphones, but for its current price it comes embarrassingly close: best bass impact and slam under 2K. And a good secondhand pair can be found around $900 these days which is a killer price.

Note, that the LCD-X can sound very different from different sources. The LCD-X reacts to the smallest change in the chain extremely well. With a warmer amp or a silver cable, a little EQ or a slight bass boost you can achieve quite significant changes.

What does not change with the LCD-X is the very good resolving qualities for the price; the amount of details and level of instrument separation they display. Also the world-class bass extension, dynamics and energetic sound remains the same. What you can adjust with gear is tonal balance, treble sharpness, bass quantity. The X is a highly adjustable headphone and it really doesn't take much to bring out the TOTL killer performance from this budget priced sleeper these days.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #11,407 of 12,748
Woof... just stumbled upon an album that sounds absolutely brilliant with the X. Sounds absolutely great. And a recording that wasn't recorded garishly once, unfortunately the X doesn't like that. Sounds absolutely great! Listen to it straight with X, balanced on the iCan in tube mode!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-20 um 10.46.11.png

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #11,408 of 12,748
Hi all, apologies in advance for the long post

I purchased the LCD-X several months ago based on hearing the rave reviews, seeing that Manny Marroquin was using it, etc. My previous headphones were the Grado RS1e's and then the Grado RS2e's... I eventually sold off the RS1e's in favor of the RS2e's and had been listening on those nonstop ever since. I am a huge fan of the analytical sound as I work on the label side and am constantly listening to mixes and masters, and want to hear EVERYTHING. I am not a basshead by any means. I still use the RS2es quite often

Upon first listening to the LCD-Xs, I was shocked at how dark and veiled it sounded, and was quite frankly disappointed (as you can imagine, coming from Grados, it's quite a drastic difference in sound profile). I went through months of wrestling with whether or not I should just sell them off and chalk it up as a loss. But I kept trying to convince myself that they were good, especially since I knew many mixers and mastering engineers who swore by them, the SoundOnSound glowing review, etc,, and went through quite the process of trying to satisfy myself. I even called Audeze to see if the darkness was normal... but they suggested that it probably has to do with getting my brain used to this new sonic profile, so I resolved to start listening to them more

In the meantime, I tried Sonarworks which helped with the top end, but it always seemed to cheapen the sound to me. I then tried Audeze Reveal which I ended up really liking (via SoundSource), and then after listening to the headphones nonstop, I finally heard a few recordings where I had the a-ha moments and was just blown away. I am running these via a Chord Mojo, and when I crank the volume up, it's just absolutely fantastic. But I know I can't do that for too long at the risk of damaging my hearing. Ultimately, I still would love a little more clarity/treble, and wouldn't mind slightly tighter bass, and a wider soundstage (to me, the soundstage is DEEP but not wide, if that makes any sense)

Anyways, all that is to say, I stumbled on some posts that suggest that replacement cables could help give me that analytical sound I am looking for. In particular, I am looking at the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, and the Norne Silvergarde SC-3, and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on those, if I should look at other brands, or if I am barking up the wrong tree hoping that cables can truly get me what I'm looking for in a headphone. The thought of spending $450 on cables is tough to swallow, but if I can dial these LCD-Xs in just right, I might be in heaven

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #11,409 of 12,748

I purchased the LCD-X several months ago based on hearing the rave reviews, seeing that Manny Marroquin was using it, etc. My previous headphones were the Grado RS1e's and then the Grado RS2e's... I eventually sold off the RS1e's in favor of the RS2e's and had been listening on those nonstop ever since. I am a huge fan of the analytical sound as I work on the label side and am constantly listening to mixes and masters, and want to hear EVERYTHING. I am not a basshead by any means. I still use the RS2es quite often

Upon first listening to the LCD-Xs, I was shocked at how dark and veiled it sounded, and was quite frankly disappointed (as you can imagine, coming from Grados, it's quite a drastic difference in sound profile). I went through months of wrestling with whether or not I should just sell them off and chalk it up as a loss. But I kept trying to convince myself that they were good, especially since I knew many mixers and mastering engineers who swore by them, the SoundOnSound glowing review, etc,, and went through quite the process of trying to satisfy myself. I even called Audeze to see if the darkness was normal... but they suggested that it probably has to do with getting my brain used to this new sonic profile, so I resolved to start listening to them more

In the meantime, I tried Sonarworks which helped with the top end, but it always seemed to cheapen the sound to me. I then tried Audeze Reveal which I ended up really liking (via SoundSource), and then after listening to the headphones nonstop, I finally heard a few recordings where I had the a-ha moments and was just blown away. I am running these via a Chord Mojo, and when I crank the volume up, it's just absolutely fantastic. But I know I can't do that for too long at the risk of damaging my hearing. Ultimately, I still would love a little more clarity/treble, and wouldn't mind slightly tighter bass, and a wider soundstage (to me, the soundstage is DEEP but not wide, if that makes any sense)

Anyways, all that is to say, I stumbled on some posts that suggest that replacement cables could help give me that analytical sound I am looking for. In particular, I am looking at the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, and the Norne Silvergarde SC-3, and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on those, if I should look at other brands, or if I am barking up the wrong tree hoping that cables can truly get me what I'm looking for in a headphone. The thought of spending $450 on cables is tough to swallow, but if I can dial these LCD-Xs in just right, I might be in heaven

If I may make a suggestion...I've always heard that the Mojo has a "darker" sound when compared to it's more expensive brethren (never heard it myself). If you just add a little more to that $450 you're prepared to spend on a cable you could get an iFi Micro Black Label that would certainly provide a much more tangible benefit, especially when combined with Reveal. I'm not a pro like yourself but that combination is what I listen to all day while working from home and it is as close to nirvana as I've found. I even find it preferable to my much more expensive TEAC NT 505/SPL Phonitor E combo, likely due to the fact that I have no Reveal application to use with it.

I've never listened to the Moon Silver but I do have the Black & the Blue and while they are wonderful cables & Drew is great to deal with, I don't believe a cable is going to be the thing that makes or breaks the headphone. I'm using the stock cable on my desktop rig and, as stated before, I love it.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #11,410 of 12,748

You may as well flush that $450 down the toilet. No cable is going to transform the LCD-X's sonic character. Sell the X and pick up a Focal Clear. Or if you want the Clear's neutral tonality with a big soundstage, get the ZMF Auteur.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #11,411 of 12,748

I like him, dark and veiled! It must really be defective! :relaxed:

I always complain because I find the X much too light and almost aggressive. Sometimes I almost get a headache when I hear a mix that was recorded very brightly. I have to turn down the treble control!:hushed:

No, the X is anything but dark and veiled. Definitely not. The Clear is a dull horn against that! I now find it much darker than the X.

But the X with the iFi micro iDSD BL works perfectly. But use it mostly via ADI-2 with EQ or Audirvana with plug-in.

But as mentioned, sometimes the X really gets on my nerves with its shrillness! When I listen to it, I mainly use it for trance, they are not aggressive in the high frequencies, but with a lot of bass. The X is in my element and can hardly be beaten by anybody else.

Try to hear another X somewhere. Something definitely seems to be wrong with yours.

PS: I would never buy cable for the X for 500 USD. A 100 USD cable is quite sufficient. Would recommend a copper cable. But that is already included and I think the Audeze cable is not bad at all. With a 500USD cable I would bet that you won't hear any difference.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #11,412 of 12,748

Grado and Audeze are polar opposites. Completely different approach to preferred sound signature. Also, while Mojo is a great little portable unit and the LCD-X is relatively efficient, the Mojo will not drive the X to its full potential.
If you love Grado, Audeze is probably a wrong choice to start with. That said, trying to drive the X properly might worth a try.

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #11,413 of 12,748
If I may make a suggestion...I've always heard that the Mojo has a "darker" sound when compared to it's more expensive brethren (never heard it myself). If you just add a little more to that $450 you're prepared to spend on a cable you could get an iFi Micro Black Label that would certainly provide a much more tangible benefit, especially when combined with Reveal. I'm not a pro like yourself but that combination is what I listen to all day while working from home and it is as close to nirvana as I've found. I even find it preferable to my much more expensive TEAC NT 505/SPL Phonitor E combo, likely due to the fact that I have no Reveal application to use with it.

I've never listened to the Moon Silver but I do have the Black & the Blue and while they are wonderful cables & Drew is great to deal with, I don't believe a cable is going to be the thing that makes or breaks the headphone. I'm using the stock cable on my desktop rig and, as stated before, I love it.

Thank you, I will look into the iFi!

You may as well flush that $450 down the toilet. No cable is going to transform the LCD-X's sonic character. Sell the X and pick up a Focal Clear. Or if you want the Clear's neutral tonality with a big soundstage, get the ZMF Auteur.

Thank you, I will look into both

I like him, dark and veiled! It must really be defective! :relaxed:

I always complain because I find the X much too light and almost aggressive. Sometimes I almost get a headache when I hear a mix that was recorded very brightly. I have to turn down the treble control!:hushed:

No, the X is anything but dark and veiled. Definitely not. The Clear is a dull horn against that! I now find it much darker than the X.

But the X with the iFi micro iDSD BL works perfectly. But use it mostly via ADI-2 with EQ or Audirvana with plug-in.

But as mentioned, sometimes the X really gets on my nerves with its shrillness! When I listen to it, I mainly use it for trance, they are not aggressive in the high frequencies, but with a lot of bass. The X is in my element and can hardly be beaten by anybody else.

Try to hear another X somewhere. Something definitely seems to be wrong with yours.

PS: I would never buy cable for the X for 500 USD. A 100 USD cable is quite sufficient. Would recommend a copper cable. But that is already included and I think the Audeze cable is not bad at all. With a 500USD cable I would bet that you won't hear any difference.

Very interesting. As mentioned, over time I think my brain got used to the sound and now it is MUCH more enjoyable, so I don't think it is defective, it's just that coming from the Grado sound (which I had listened to exclusively for years), it was a shock to me. I will def look into the iFi

Grado and Audeze are polar opposites. Completely different approach to preferred sound signature. Also, while Mojo is a great little portable unit and the LCD-X is relatively efficient, the Mojo will not drive the X to its full potential.
If you love Grado, Audeze is probably a wrong choice to start with. That said, trying to drive the X properly might worth a try.

Thank you. It seems upgrading the amp/dac is the route I should follow

Appreciate everyone's quick comments and suggestions!

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #11,414 of 12,748
Hi,

It might sound odd, but let me ask anyway..

But did anyone of you experienced that when barefooted and touched the earcups (any metal part side from the headband) there is a little bit of hum without any playing music? Even the amp is turned off? However if i put something in my feet the hum goes away. I just recently got the LCD less than 24 hours.

Thank you so much in advance on your comments.

Whill

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #11,415 of 12,748

While I like the improvement from cable, I can't agree more with you.

Coming from RS2e, I could imagine treble quantity from Clear/Auteur would be closer to his taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back