Audeze LCD-X
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #11,431 of 12,748
Anyone using aftermarket pads (dekoni, brainwavz) with the LCD-X? My cans originally shipped with protein pads which muffled the high end and mellowed the mids too much. I then switched to Dekoni Fenestrated Lambskin pads and it fixed that issue. However, I started listening to my LCD-x after taking a break for few months and now the highs are searing and kinda uncomfortable. I was thinking about getting Dekoni regular Lambskin pads. Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #11,432 of 12,748
Anyone using aftermarket pads (dekoni, brainwavz) with the LCD-X? My cans originally shipped with protein pads which muffled the high end and mellowed the mids too much. I then switched to Dekoni Fenestrated Lambskin pads and it fixed that issue. However, I started listening to my LCD-x after taking a break for few months and now the highs are searing and kinda uncomfortable. I was thinking about getting Dekoni regular Lambskin pads. Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

I have the Dekoni sheepskins on my LCD-XC, I like them fine except they are noticeably thicker on the back side than the stock pads. No increase in high frequencies to my ears. I bought this headphone used so it came with the old style pads & headband. I've read in the past that all of the LCD series relies on that airtight(?) "seal" around the ear to achieve their intended sound. The old pads were not sealing properly so I figured I was missing out on everything these 'phones had to offer. Once I installed the new pads & band I've gotten the proper "seal" and I now listen to the XC more than the X. I should note that I'm rather treble-sensitive and my Clears are at the absolute limit to my treble tastes.

My advice is to give the plain sheepskin a try, I believe you'll like them.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #11,434 of 12,748
The reason i went with the fenestrated pads before is because of the veil that the stock leather pads had. I thought fenestrated pads will open up the sound and clear up the sound signature. It did, however at the cost of increased treble and upper mids.

Right now, Im using the fenestrated pads with tuning pads from Dan Clark Audio Aeons. The black felt pads seems to tame the treble a bit

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #11,435 of 12,748
I’ve been auditioning these cans for the past couple weeks. At first I was a bit out off by the forward ... everything sound signature. It sounded like a rude version of my clears. But as I’ve given them more time, that thick, full sound has made my other cans sound weak.

I’m waiting on a couple new amps to try them on as I don’t think my CTH and 789 are really a good fit. My Bifrost2 seems up to the task but pairing it with a gsx mini, rnhp, or v280 will probably be a better pairing for these cans.

I’ve heard the cf headband has tighter clamping force and isn’t worth the weight saving for that reason. Does that line up with anyone here’s experience? I’d love tocut a bit of weight from these but my neck can handle it if they don’t.

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #11,436 of 12,748
I just ordered the X and can't wait to compare them to my LCD2CBs. Hopefully they don't run to hot in the upper mids and treble regions running on my 887.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #11,437 of 12,748
Just a follow up on the headband. I pulled my steel one of and it weighs in at less than the carbon fiber one is advertised. 54g vs their advertised 60g for the CF. Oh well.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #11,438 of 12,748
If you like a deep, accurate and punchy bass and you are on a relative budget the RME-ADI2 DAC with the LCD-X might just be your ticket. Until you are ready to spend 2-3 times more.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #11,439 of 12,748
If you like a deep, accurate and punchy bass and you are on a relative budget the RME-ADI2 DAC with the LCD-X might just be your ticket. Until you are ready to spend 2-3 times more.
I was doing some listening with this exact combo. I can’t imagine needing more or better. The RME drives them beautifully and with authority.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #11,440 of 12,748
I was doing some listening with this exact combo. I can’t imagine needing more or better. The RME drives them beautifully and with authority.
Looking at your signature it is quite a comment. I also owned the TT2 and the Empyrean as a flagship headphone. While 'flagship' combos do many things better, the extra thousands you throw away makes the value questionable. Especially if you are on a relative budget.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #11,441 of 12,748
Looking at your signature it is quite a comment. I also owned the TT2 and the Empyrean as a flagship headphone. While 'flagship' combos do many things better, the extra thousands you throw away makes the value questionable. Especially if you are on a relative budget.
I agree, it’s such a joy to find hidden gems like the RME. At times I find myself enjoying it more than my TT2 once I adjust the sound. The RME pairs well with many amps, it can drive the majority of headphones out right now, it has an onboard PEQ that works wonders, and it has old school bass and treble tone controls with crossfeed functionality. All are useful in helping you to obtain high fidelity sound. I still haven’t run across TOTL headphone that couldn’t use some tweaking to its sound to my ears. But sound is personal and having a Swiss army device like the RME helps you personalize it.

On a side note, the TT2 sounds good without any adjustments and it can drive the LCD-X’s very, very well. I don’t know which I prefer more to be honest. When it comes to driving the LCD-X’s, the TT2 is amongst the best DAC’s for a reason. Listening to it with the LCD-X’s is a treat. The power and control it has on the drivers with its natural, detailed, transparent tonality can be hypnotic. But that still doesn’t stop me from enjoying other products just as much. In the end, the joy is in the listening....:L3000:

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #11,442 of 12,748
The LCD-X has a controversial reputation. A few years back it was high-end with unheard bass performance. Since then the competition managed to catch up. With the creator package and hardly used second hand offers the LCD-X can be had for $800-1000 these days. Which is an exceptional value even on today's headphone market. The LCD-X delivers the amount of details you would expect from an upper-mid tier headphone in 2020. Yes, they are heavy, but perfect bass comes from a lots of huge magnets. Weight is kind of a compromise if you are after perfect bass. And the LCD-X offers the most detailed, best extended and punchiest bass with the perfect slam under £2000 (LCD4 or D8000 or Abyss are better, but for significantly more money). Yes, other headphones under 2K can sound more spacious or more natural or sweeter, but under 2K the perfect bass is still delivered by the LCD-X in 2020.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #11,443 of 12,748
So after wanting these for years after hearing them at a head-fi meet... I finally got my pair. I love them, probably my endgame headphone until I can justify shelling out thousands for a flagship. However, i'm feeling my amp is lacking. My system is Schiit Modius--> Drop THX AAA 789--> LCD-X. Specs on this amp would lead me to think it's a great amp, but it feels lacking in current which these need in spades at 20ohm. Tried them off a buddies speaker amp (low volume of course lol) and the difference was immediate. Tighter and lower better controlled bass, fuller mids, and better defined treble. Anyone have and recommendations for a step up in terms of amp from the THX? Any help would be awesome, i'd like to keep it under $2000USD if possible, but really want something that will max these to their fullest potential.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #11,444 of 12,748
So after wanting these for years after hearing them at a head-fi meet... I finally got my pair. I love them, probably my endgame headphone until I can justify shelling out thousands for a flagship. However, i'm feeling my amp is lacking. My system is Schiit Modius--> Drop THX AAA 789--> LCD-X. Specs on this amp would lead me to think it's a great amp, but it feels lacking in current which these need in spades at 20ohm. Tried them off a buddies speaker amp (low volume of course lol) and the difference was immediate. Tighter and lower better controlled bass, fuller mids, and better defined treble. Anyone have and recommendations for a step up in terms of amp from the THX? Any help would be awesome, i'd like to keep it under $2000USD if possible, but really want something that will max these to their fullest potential.

Now you have me wondering what mine will sound like on my 887, just got them in the mail so going to burn them in first for a few days before I get to critical.

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #11,445 of 12,748
Update, I ordered a V280 this morning when they went live on drop for $500 off. Will likely be awhile before I have it in hand but I’ll post my thoughts of 789 to it here. Hopefully fuller in the bass and midrange with better control, can be a touch bright in the upper treble with the 789 at times so I’m looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back