Audeze LCD-X
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #11,236 of 12,748
After a good many years of service, the pads in my LCD-X are due for a change, and having been very happy with Dekoni's work (as well as their slightly thicker pads leaving my ears less likely to press against the headphone), I'm looking to make a swap. At present, I'm looking at either their solid sheepskin or the fenestrated sheepskin, but haven't been able to find much in the way of comparison for this headphone. Is there anyone here who's tried either of them out who'd be able to comment on them?

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #11,237 of 12,748
After a good many years of service, the pads in my LCD-X are due for a change, and having been very happy with Dekoni's work (as well as their slightly thicker pads leaving my ears less likely to press against the headphone), I'm looking to make a swap. At present, I'm looking at either their solid sheepskin or the fenestrated sheepskin, but haven't been able to find much in the way of comparison for this headphone. Is there anyone here who's tried either of them out who'd be able to comment on them?
Fenestrated sheepskin makes the x sound brighter and reduces bass while the solid sheepskin boost the upper mids a bit and also boost the sub bass a bit.

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #11,240 of 12,748
If you're even slightly treble-sensitive, I would recommend auditioning the Clears before taking the jump. I purchased the Elex because of the good reviews, but when it arrived, I couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes because it was unpleasantly hot at the top for me, although i could still appreciate the nicer aspects of the SQ the reviews and impressions were enthusiastic about. I had to sell it very quickly after that unpleasant experience, and I hear the Clear and other Focal cans share the same attributes. I maintain, though, that it is a personal thing that others might not experience in the same way. It might work better for you than it did for me, and the focal cans are certainly popular, so I am sure that hotness doesn't bother many of their owners. Personally, I never, at any rate, considered myself to be treble sensitive until the Elex experience. This is why I think the audition-before-you-buy approach might be appropriate in this case.

I have never had that problem from any Audeze cans, although I do own quite a number of them, including the X. Even the Sennheiser HD800 handles really well to my ears on my rigs, although it has a reputation for a certain annoying peakiness. Just my two cents.

I found the Focal's sound best driven by a nice Tube headphone amp, the Felix Euphoria is a good choice. On SS they can sound a bit harsh in the mid treble ranges. Planars generally sound smoother so...
My favourite HP is the Abyss TC, it has the speed of the Stax 009 and the bass and creamy mids of the LCD4, plus the soundstage of the HD800. Sounds impossible to achieve, but they have managed it IMO, certainly on the TC version.
slides-abyss-2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #11,241 of 12,748
I found the Focal's sound best driven by a nice Tube headphone amp, the Felix Euphoria is a good choice. On SS they can sound a bit harsh in the mid treble ranges. Planars generally sound smoother so...
My favourite HP is the Abyss TC, it has the speed of the Stax 009 and the bass and creamy mids of the LCD4, plus the soundstage of the HD800. Sounds impossible to achieve, but they have managed it IMO, certainly on the TC version.
slides-abyss-2.jpg

I second that.

The Abyss phi TC blew my mind at how powerful yet detailed they sounded.

Their bass is the absolute best in the world and no headphone can compare.

The only headphone that comes close is the LCD-4 but it still can't compare in bass IMPACT.

The impact of the TC is mind blowing.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #11,242 of 12,748
Hi, after six months of intensive listening to LCD-X, I've come to the conclusion that they sound significantly better on high gain. It's not a matter of power, my Asgard 2 has quite enough power in low gain. IMO, high gain gives much more dynamics, mids become livelier, fuller, they aren't subdued at all. One more thing - here where I live temperatures are extremely high during the summer period and Asgard gets too hot, I can't leave it turned on for more than a couple of hours. Do you think that JDS Labs Atom pairs well with LCD-X? I need an amp that doesn't get too hot and that sounds nice.

you just gave these headphones new life for me
on low gain they sound awful

I was thoroughly disappointed with them when I got them back from repair......High Gain turns them into a whole different headphone....not sure why

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #11,243 of 12,748

I just produced and mixed this over the last few weeks with the LCD-Xs... damn fine music-making headphones...

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #11,244 of 12,748
would the lcd x be an upgrade from my lcd2 classics?

how are bass,mids, and treble compared to the classics? and soundstage and imaging? any anything else you can think of please

also if you think the lcd x wont offer me that big a diference then my current lcd2 classics in the sense its just more of the same but a bit better, then i might get the hd800s as i hear that would be a good amount different as this will be my last headphone purchase for a long time

i am debating on getting the hd 800s or the lcd x later this year

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music (mostly edm like above and beyond, but i listen to other non edm type also), media, to video games

and is there much of a weight difference between the lcd x and classics like some have said? the classics are fine for me but im not sure if i would like something heavier

will the magni 3 be ok for the lcd x orhd 800s iyo? or would the newer magni 3+ or heresy be better i dont really want to spend more then what the magni costs if possible if you think my current magni 3 is not good enough? and would the newer magni 3+ or heresy even be better for my current lcd2 c?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #11,245 of 12,748

how are bass,mids, and treble compared to the classics? and soundstage and imaging? any anything else you can think of please

also if you think the lcd x wont offer me that big a diference then my current lcd2 classics in the sense its just more of the same but a bit better, then i might get the hd800s as i hear that would be a good amount different as this will be my last headphone purchase for a long time

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music (mostly edm like above and beyond, but i listen to other non edm type also), media, to video games

and is there much of a weight difference between the lcd x and classics like some have said? the classics are fine for me but im not sure if i would like something heavier

will the magni 3 be ok for the lcd x orhd 800s iyo? or would the newer magni 3+ or heresy be better i dont really want to spend more then what the magni costs if possible if you think my current magni 3 is not good enough? and would the newer magni 3+ or heresy even be better for my current lcd2 c?

Yes. They certainly would be. The resolution, clarity, realism, and balance of the sound is quite a bit better on the X, while with some mild EQ, even just bass boost, you can recreate that slam and big bass of the 2C with better texture and extension. Soundstage, imaging, and separation are also better on the X, but the soundstage still isn't exceptional for an openback. They don't have a light, airy sound, more like the sound feels big, full, rich, but not ever muddy or veiled. Don't get me wrong, I like the 2C quite a bit, it's just not on the level of technical performance of the X.

The X weighs more than the 2C, but it's not like the latter is feather-light anyway. I find them comfortable enough to wear for several hours, and only take breaks for my ears, not my neck.

You can run the X off of the Magni 3+ or Heresy, or even off of your phone, but it's really a waste. It'll hold back your X from achieving its potential. Moreover, the X will continue to improve the better the chain that's feeding it. My advice is to buy a 789 and maybe a Topping D70 to go with it. Taken together with the X, that is a total system that will take you very far. In fact, I would even recommend upgrading the front end before new headphones, but that's me.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #11,246 of 12,748

The LCD-X will have resolution, imaging improvement over the LCD-2C. But I am not sure if the magni 3/3+/Heresy will be able to take those advantages they lack resolving power and soundstage depth.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #11,247 of 12,748

Are you seriously wanting to run an almost $2000 headphone off of a $100 amp? Would not recommend...Even with your current LCD2C, your top priority should be upgrading your electronics. With the current offerings from Topping, there's no excuse to be running your $800 LCD2C off of an entry level $100 Schiit. Look into a D70, D90 or hell even a Jotunheim and actually hear what your LCD2C can do before spending double on more headphones.

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #11,249 of 12,748
Hello,
I believe that there are owners of both LCD-X and HD800S in this thread.
What do you guys think if I keep 800S for classic music and buy the LCD-X for heavy genres and jazz. Will it work?
In general I prefer a neutral sound signature. I just need a good pair of planar-magnetic open HP which suits some genres better than the 800S. I like planar-magnetic type of bass better than a dynamic one.
Why LCD-X? From various reviews I understood that this is what I need - less coloration than LCD2,3, high resolution and PRaT.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts/feedback.

In parallel I also l consider Ether 2, Ether 1.1, Aeon 2 Open.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back