Audeze LCD-X
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #11,207 of 12,748
I’ve never heard an older version of the X but bought mine around 4 months ago and they sound wonderful. I’ve owned the Clear twice and couldn’t live with it either time. I’d take the current X any day over the Clear.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #11,209 of 12,748
I’ve never heard an older version of the X but bought mine around 4 months ago and they sound wonderful. I’ve owned the Clear twice and couldn’t live with it either time. I’d take the current X any day over the Clear.
What were your issues with the Clears?

I really dig both the X and Clear, but for studio work, I'm not sure... The Clear's aren't neutral and the X has a funky sound sig, despite being otherwise neutral. Either one using Sonarworks could be a great option though.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #11,210 of 12,748
What were your issues with the Clears?

I really dig both the X and Clear, but for studio work, I'm not sure... The Clear's aren't neutral and the X has a funky sound sig, despite being otherwise neutral. Either one using Sonarworks could be a great option though.
I'm taking the leap based on reviews and a few studio heads recommendations... what would you recommend for studio work?

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #11,211 of 12,748
I'm taking the leap based on reviews and a few studio heads recommendations... what would you recommend for studio work?
Couldn't say, I'm no engineer. But if you're going for a conical sound to mix by, something neutral likely boring.

Like I said, sonarworks apps have neutral profiles for both clears and X's.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #11,212 of 12,748
If you're even slightly treble-sensitive, I would recommend auditioning the Clears before taking the jump. I purchased the Elex because of the good reviews, but when it arrived, I couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes because it was unpleasantly hot at the top for me, although i could still appreciate the nicer aspects of the SQ the reviews and impressions were enthusiastic about. I had to sell it very quickly after that unpleasant experience, and I hear the Clear and other Focal cans share the same attributes. I maintain, though, that it is a personal thing that others might not experience in the same way. It might work better for you than it did for me, and the focal cans are certainly popular, so I am sure that hotness doesn't bother many of their owners. Personally, I never, at any rate, considered myself to be treble sensitive until the Elex experience. This is why I think the audition-before-you-buy approach might be appropriate in this case.

I have never had that problem from any Audeze cans, although I do own quite a number of them, including the X. Even the Sennheiser HD800 handles really well to my ears on my rigs, although it has a reputation for a certain annoying peakiness. Just my two cents.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #11,213 of 12,748
The same thing with me. Never had any other version but the latest one that I bought at the end of September. They sound great. There may be some slight differences, but people are talking about different versions like they are different models. Basically, it's the same headphone!

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #11,214 of 12,748
Go with the clear they have a much more even frequency response. I owned a pair of 2016 revisions and the clears. I sold the lcd x when I got the abyss but kept the clears
Nah, I use both side by side off of the bryston amp and both cans are excellent. They are different, but one is NOT better than the other.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #11,215 of 12,748
If you're even slightly treble-sensitive, I would recommend auditioning the Clears before taking the jump. I purchased the Elex because of the good reviews, but when it arrived, I couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes because it was unpleasantly hot at the top for me, although i could still appreciate the nicer aspects of the SQ the reviews and impressions were enthusiastic about. I had to sell it very quickly after that unpleasant experience, and I hear the Clear and other Focal cans share the same attributes. I maintain, though, that it is a personal thing that others might not experience in the same way. It might work better for you than it did for me, and the focal cans are certainly popular, so I am sure that hotness doesn't bother many of their owners. Personally, I never, at any rate, considered myself to be treble sensitive until the Elex experience. This is why I think the audition-before-you-buy approach might be appropriate in this case.

I have never had that problem from any Audeze cans, although I do own quite a number of them, including the X. Even the Sennheiser HD800 handles really well to my ears on my rigs, although it has a reputation for a certain annoying peakiness. Just my two cents.
Interesting because I do not find the clears hot in the treble region at all. They sound simply marvelous to me with the bryston.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #11,216 of 12,748
Nah, I use both side by side off of the bryston amp and both cans are excellent. They are different, but one is NOT better than the other.

I wouldn't consider the clears to be better. It is just that the have a more even frequency response and presentation. The x has more bass slam and is faster for sure. The x is the most neutral can that audeze makes to my ears.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #11,217 of 12,748
I am using the lcd-x for mastering and mixing together with Sonarworks. This makes the hp as transparent as it gets (of course this will happen with every other supported hp, too). So if you don’t use this software and you are searching for the most linear frequency... I would suggest the Sennheiser HD660S. Even Sonarworks has just slight adjustments in comparison to other hp.
Then again if you are using Sonarworks you should look for hp with a great dynamic response and good layering. That said the lcd-x is a very good example here.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #11,218 of 12,748
I am using the lcd-x for mastering and mixing together with Sonarworks. This makes the hp as transparent as it gets (of course this will happen with every other supported hp, too). So if you don’t use this software and you are searching for the most linear frequency... I would suggest the Sennheiser HD660S. Even Sonarworks has just slight adjustments in comparison to other hp.
Then again if you are using Sonarworks you should look for hp with a great dynamic response and good layering. That said the lcd-x is a very good example here.
I used 650s with SW for a few years and was quite happy.

Thanks for the info!

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #11,219 of 12,748
I used 650s with SW for a few years and was quite happy.

Thanks for the info!
Oh man, if you have and are familiar with SW, the X is a solid bet.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #11,220 of 12,748

Users who are viewing this thread

Back