Audeze LCD-X
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #11,192 of 12,748
I think the X sounds best without bass boost too....

...however, I sometimes like to EQ the bass up wildly and just listen to how masterfully and cleanly the X handles it. I mean, my vision distorts before their sound ever does. Part of the beauty of these planars is that they can handle EQ sooooo well. Seems like a shame not to go crazy with that once in a while.
I have mine boosted 6db below 100hz and I find that perfect for me.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #11,193 of 12,748
Just arrived! 15762643419577165109228751381199.jpg

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #11,195 of 12,748
so

after a good amount of time with my repaired pair of LCD-X....I can without a shadow of doubt claim the 2014 variant were better by a huge margin before I had them fixed for 500.00 the year.

Dunno when the sound change happened but I wouldn't recommend dropping 1,000usd on these.

I can not understand how people dont comment more often on this topic.

Until now i got 3 pairs personally and heard over 7 LCD-X.
The one with the driver repair (got 2016 a.k.a. new drivers) sounded absolutely bad for the price point.
The two pre 2016 driver units i had sounded MUCH, and i can not stress this enough, MUCH better.
I dont know if its due to the driver, the sloppy repair or manufcaturing inconsistency in general, but it is the reason i kept my pre 2016 pair which has a rather significant channel imbalance but otherwise sounds awesome (i fix it via eq).
Of course i would like to have my pair of LCD-X to not have channel imbalance, but i fear that my pair will sound significantly worse after the repair/new driver installment.
It seriously drives me crazy and it honestly is just sad that i have to handle the situation this way.

cheers
Johannes

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #11,197 of 12,748
Hi everyone. I bought a brand new pair of LCD X three months ago. Headphones are great, but they have a slight channel imbalance (the right channel is 1 db louder). It's not the cable but the driver. I tried the other two cables that I have (I also have LCD 2). I easily fixed it in JRiver by clicking the room correction and reducing the right channel by 1 db.Now, I can live with it, but I don't know if it is going to get worse in future. Do you think it is something I should be worried about? Should I take the headphones to the shop and ask the dealer to send them to Audeze customer service to fix the issue? If I do it, I'll probably have to wait for about two months until I get the headphones back.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #11,198 of 12,748
Hi everyone. I bought a brand new pair of LCD X three months ago. Headphones are great, but they have a slight channel imbalance (the right channel is 1 db louder). It's not the cable but the driver. I tried the other two cables that I have (I also have LCD 2). I easily fixed it in JRiver by clicking the room correction and reducing the right channel by 1 db.Now, I can live with it, but I don't know if it is going to get worse in future. Do you think it is something I should be worried about? Should I take the headphones to the shop and ask the dealer to send them to Audeze customer service to fix the issue? If I do it, I'll probably have to wait for about two months until I get the headphones back.
I wouldn’t worry about it getting worse, however, I also wouldn’t be accepting of it. I’d get it repaired. You go to use them in a different system without balance controls, and you have to just deal with it? Not on a premium product.

There are other things that can cause an imbalance including everything in your chain and your hearing. If you try other headphones, is it still imbalanced?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #11,199 of 12,748
I wouldn’t worry about it getting worse, however, I also wouldn’t be accepting of it. I’d get it repaired. You go to use them in a different system without balance controls, and you have to just deal with it? Not on a premium product.

There are other things that can cause an imbalance including everything in your chain and your hearing. If you try other headphones, is it still imbalanced?
The bakance

Thank you for your input.The balance is perfect with my other headphones (LCD 2 and Meze 99). It is definitely something with the LCD X driver. And yes, i also use my headphones with other sources such as Blu ray and CD players without balance controls.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #11,202 of 12,748
Hi, has anyone tried Schiit Magni Heresy with LCD-X? I know that it has more than enough power, but what about SQ? I once bought Magni 2 and sold it soon, due to harsh highs and loose bass (compared to Asgard 2). Now, is Magni Heresy (or Magni 3+) any better? I'm curious about Heresy because I don't have experience with so called op-amp amplifiers.

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #11,203 of 12,748
Can someone who knows definitively comment on whether the new vers sound a lot worse than the older vers?

I'm either getting these or the focal clear for studio work... Don't want to regret my purchase.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #11,204 of 12,748
If you are leaning toward the LCD-X Audeze offers a 30 day penalty free trial period. All that you would pay is return shipping should you decide to return them. I am not sure if that is only for purchases from the Audeze website. Since you are are located in Dublin you might contact a local distributor to see how that would be handled or communicate directly with Audeze how that might work on overseas purchases.

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #11,205 of 12,748
Can someone who knows definitively comment on whether the new vers sound a lot worse than the older vers?

I'm either getting these or the focal clear for studio work... Don't want to regret my purchase.

Thanks

Go with the clear they have a much more even frequency response. I owned a pair of 2016 revisions and the clears. I sold the lcd x when I got the abyss but kept the clears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back