Audeze LCD-X
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #10,036 of 12,748
Well said and that's why it's so hard to own just one headphone. I'm not sure if there is a single headphone I can own that could suit all of my musical taste. Even with all the headphones I have in my inventory they all do something special that I like and add their own flavor to the music. The HEK V2's are probably the most transparent headphones I own and even those are tuned a certain way. The LCD-X's are Audeze's stab at neutrality but there is hole in the music in the upper midrange and lower treble to my ears. It became more obvious when I went from my HEK V2's back to LCD-X's. I had to let my ears settle down before I could listen and enjoy the LCD-X's again. It was crazy feeling.....
Same thing for me. In my case, Ps1KE. Sound is antithetical to LCD-X. Use it more for Classical, or when I'm just in need of something different. Also have to settle down with the change after a bit.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #10,037 of 12,748
I share similar thoughts about the lcd x upper mids and pads but I've found solutions to these problems. Sonarworks seems to remediate the dip in the upper mids/lower treble and dekoni just launched lcd pads.
Great suggestion on Sonarworks. I wouldn't have believed it but am listening right now with the trial installed. I'm hearing so much more. It's pretty amazing. I wonder if it's tricking my ears somehow or if this is really the way it should sound. It is boosting the highs quite a bit in compensation for my age. But I think it sounds really good. $100 sounds a bit steep for an eq. But can't argue with the sound.

Which Dekoni LCD pads do you like? I just had my headphones serviced and they put new lambs skin pads on which I like a lot more than the original ones that came with the headphones.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think this is making a difference and might have to pick up Sonarworks.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #10,038 of 12,748
Ok, now I'm interested in Sonarworks too. $80 one-off payment application that doesn't appear to force you to use a particular music program. The EQ appears to be automatic based on your headphone and you can make changes manually subsequently. Is it more than EQ that you can apply say through Foobar? If it isn't what's stopping people from noting the details of the applied EQ and sharing it with others, making Sonarworks pointless? On the product page where you purchase there's a mention of filters, which perhaps means it does more.

I got a trial too. Anyone else warned about clipping after set-up?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #10,039 of 12,748
Ok, I think we need to try to understand what's happening here. The difference is actually pretty substantial. The headphones are almost transformed.

5fr7zn.png

This is a screenshot of the trial application. When the effect is enabled the flat orange line appears. When it's disabled the orange line disappears and the grey curve turns white, meaning it's how the headphone sounds by default. But isn't that the famed Harmon curve that all headphones are supposed to follow? Lol, looking at google image results for the Harmon curve that ain't it, but it is a curve nonetheless whereas the Sonarworks effect is a flat line. I'm very confused.

I strongly encourage everyone reading this to download the trial. All you need to enter is your email address. You should really hear the difference and go from there. Female vocals are affected in a rather major way. I don't want to try to describe it, download the trial please and react to the change. It's not at all just female vocals though. It sounds like a bunch of stuff, possibly even bass, and the sound seems cleaner. Let me put it this way, for all the money being spent on different headphones, dacs, amps, and cables $80 on this thing warrants strong consideration. Does anyone actually understand what happens here? I bought a Schiit Loki for $150 and it pales in comparison to the pre-set adjustment of this application. The Loki can't replicate these changes, and I wonder if this is just eq or something more.

PS

Are we all getting the same curve for LCD-X headphones?

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #10,040 of 12,748
Great suggestion on Sonarworks. I wouldn't have believed it but am listening right now with the trial installed. I'm hearing so much more. It's pretty amazing. I wonder if it's tricking my ears somehow or if this is really the way it should sound. It is boosting the highs quite a bit in compensation for my age. But I think it sounds really good. $100 sounds a bit steep for an eq. But can't argue with the sound.

Which Dekoni LCD pads do you like? I just had my headphones serviced and they put new lambs skin pads on which I like a lot more than the original ones that came with the headphones.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think this is making a difference and might have to pick up Sonarworks.
I ordered the hybrid as it seemed to be a better proposition to the fenestrated velour. I wouldn't want to lose out on the bass. I might actually buy the fenestrated, too though.

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #10,041 of 12,748
Do you use Sonarworks True-Fi or Reference 4? The former is suggested for average listeners and the latter for music creation but I'm wondering whether it isn't better to take Reference 4 for $10 extra. What does it offer in addition that would affect listeners?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #10,043 of 12,748
Ok, I think we need to try to understand what's happening here. The difference is actually pretty substantial. The headphones are almost transformed.

5fr7zn.png

This is a screenshot of the trial application. When the effect is enabled the flat orange line appears. When it's disabled the orange line disappears and the grey curve turns white, meaning it's how the headphone sounds by default. But isn't that the famed Harmon curve that all headphones are supposed to follow? Lol, looking at google image results for the Harmon curve that ain't it, but it is a curve nonetheless whereas the Sonarworks effect is a flat line. I'm very confused.

I strongly encourage everyone reading this to download the trial. All you need to enter is your email address. You should really hear the difference and go from there. Female vocals are affected in a rather major way. I don't want to try to describe it, download the trial please and react to the change. It's not at all just female vocals though. It sounds like a bunch of stuff, possibly even bass, and the sound seems cleaner. Let me put it this way, for all the money being spent on different headphones, dacs, amps, and cables $80 on this thing warrants strong consideration. Does anyone actually understand what happens here? I bought a Schiit Loki for $150 and it pales in comparison to the pre-set adjustment of this application. The Loki can't replicate these changes, and I wonder if this is just eq or something more.

PS

Are we all getting the same curve for LCD-X headphones?

BTW, recently the harman curve has been amended LOL

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #10,044 of 12,748
As a mastering engineer i use Sonarworks 4 and Canopener by goodhertz(64 bit only crossfeed filter plugin) with my crerator package lcd-x driven in balanced mode by my audio gd he-9.The sound of the headphone gets so much better that you ask yourself how you could have done before without it.And also i get a LOT a much more cohesive sound when i listen to my masters on different audio systems getting a really good translation

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #10,045 of 12,748
As a mastering engineer i use Sonarworks 4 and Canopener by goodhertz(64 bit only crossfeed filter plugin) with my crerator package lcd-x driven in balanced mode by my audio gd he-9.The sound of the headphone gets so much better that you ask yourself how you could have done before without it.And also i get a LOT a much more cohesive sound when i listen to my masters on different audio systems getting a really good translation
What does can opener do/ sounds ?

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #10,047 of 12,748

Reference 4 continues to be a separate application, right? The goodhertz stuff is plugins, and there are a lot of them for a considerable price each. It appears you need a DAW program for them, which are music creation programs? How much of the improvement would you attribute to Sonarworks specifically? What do you get out of Reference 4 for headphone aside from the pre-set calibration?

How do I detect clipping on my headphones?

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #10,048 of 12,748
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3h2f57/how_to_equalize_your_headphones_on_windows/

Reading this it strikes me like the intent is the same as what Sonarworks shows. Seems like nothing more than equalization if flattening the curve is all there is to it. Anyone followed this guide? I think I'll have to follow it myself to see if I can't replicate the Sonarworks effect. There's even a crossfeed setting, which is what the aforementioned plugin seems to be about.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #10,049 of 12,748
Sonarowrks Reference 4 can work as a vst//aax/au plugin or a separate application through the Systemwide that corrects the audio coming from different programs(player/youtube/browser etc)Goodhertz Canopener is not pricey and can be used as a plugin only on 64 bit systems.So for a start all you need is a player like jriver or audinirvana plus that supports the vst/au plugin protocol.The improvement with sonarworks is quite important and everything sounds much better and more cohesive.I can't listen and work in my studio without it.
Clipping can be heard on attack of transients and it sounds like distorsion.If you use the sonarworks systemwide or plugin i do reccommend to lower the overall output of sonarworks of 6dB to avoid any clipping.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #10,050 of 12,748
Clipping can be heard on attack of transients and it sounds like distorsion.If you use the sonarworks systemwide or plugin i do reccommend to lower the output of 6dB to avoid any clipping.

How do I do that? There's a box to check that automatically lowers the volume to avoid clipping, but then I simply increase the volume... does that actually do anything? Is distortion easy to recognize, what exactly does it sound like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back