Audeze LCD-X
Jun 17, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #10,051 of 12,748
just lower the overall volume on sonarowrks by -6 dB (don't use the avoid clipping or safe headroom option so you have a manual control over the output volume) and raise the volume on your amplifer.That's it no clipping or distortion will occur

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #10,052 of 12,748
Sonarowrks Reference 4 can work as a vst//aax/au plugin or a separate application through the Systemwide that corrects the audio coming from different programs(player/youtube/browser etc)Goodhertz Canopener is not pricey and can be used as a plugin only on 64 bit systems.So for a start all you need is a player like jriver or audinirvana plus that supports the vst/au plugin protocol.The improvement with sonarworks is quite important and everything sounds much better and more cohesive.I can't listen and work in my studio without it.
Clipping can be heard on attack of transients and it sounds like distorsion.If you use the sonarworks systemwide or plugin i do reccommend to lower the overall output of sonarworks of 6dB to avoid any clipping.
Let's assume that you're a blind dude, and therefore can't use JRiver, and have to use FB2K. How would you get Sonarworks to work SW?

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #10,053 of 12,748
just lower the overall volume on sonarowrks by -6 dB (don't use the avoid clipping or safe headroom option so you have a manual control over the output volume) and raise the volume on your amplifer.That's it no clipping or distortion will occur

I don't see where to make this change. What do you mean by manual control over output volume in contrast to raising volume on the amplifier?

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #10,054 of 12,748
By the way, I read in that reddit thread that boosting frequencies above 0 db is what can cause distortion, yet on the True-Fi app I just see a flat line at 0 db. Not to mention I really have no clue what clipping sounds like, despite your description.

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #10,055 of 12,748
By the way, I read in that reddit thread that boosting frequencies above 0 db is what can cause distortion, yet on the True-Fi app I just see a flat line at 0 db. Not to mention I really have no clue what clipping sounds like, despite your description.

That's why you lower the source. I run mine with a 4db bass boost w/ 'Lower volume to avoid clipping' on.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #10,056 of 12,748
If the line is flat at 0 db do you need to be concerned about clipping though? The reddit comment section actually seems unclear about that. I did try the "lower volume to avoid clipping" and increasing the volume on the amplifier but the sound didn't quite sound the same to me. There appears to be some sort of extra meat when that option isn't enabled. Does clipping damage your headphones over time? I really can't identify it either if it's occurring.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #10,057 of 12,748
Anyone by any chance an eq "expert" who has already equalized his LCD-X? It would be a bit of shame to pay for something that appears to be doable for free, despite how significant it is. Also, is manual equalization available in the Reference 4 application? It might not be in True-Fi.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #10,058 of 12,748
Anyone by any chance an eq "expert" who has already equalized his LCD-X? It would be a bit of shame to pay for something that appears to be doable for free, despite how significant it is. Also, is manual equalization available in the Reference 4 application? It might not be in True-Fi.
What player are you using. If FB2K, I have a couple of X EQ's you could try.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #10,060 of 12,748
Here's a video on Sonarworks Reference:

While it's going to flatten the headphone it doesn't appear to give you much capability in applying further modifications. This guy can also pound sand on sending in your headphones, but that's an option. Seems to be a pauper mixer as well, an amplifier apparently being an issue for him. :/

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #10,061 of 12,748
Here's a video on Sonarworks Reference:

While it's going to flatten the headphone it doesn't appear to give you much capability in applying further modifications. This guy can also pound sand on sending in your headphones, but that's an option. Seems to be a pauper mixer as well, an amplifier apparently being an issue for him. :/

Ref 4 does allow you to tweak/tilt the sound to your preferences

Don’t forget that the software gets your headphones to certain eq based on what your headphone does (average of what sonarworks has measured) but it does not allow for any aound influences your gear has on it.

Just download the trial and try it out yourself.

There are some people here who love it - which i can see why

Personally i didn’t mind it but it did not wow me enough to buy it. I just eq a little bit through some software when i need to

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #10,062 of 12,748
Ref 4 does allow you to tweak/tilt the sound to your preferences

Don’t forget that the software gets your headphones to certain eq based on what your headphone does (average of what sonarworks has measured) but it does not allow for any aound influences your gear has on it.

Just download the trial and try it out yourself.

There are some people here who love it - which i can see why

Personally i didn’t mind it but it did not wow me enough to buy it. I just eq a little bit through some software when i need to
And I for one, could never get it to work.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #10,063 of 12,748
The issue is the flattening is described in that reddit thread I linked, which can be done for free. I saw a little bit of tweaking and tilting being available in that video as well but unless something is hidden it doesn't appear Reference 4 has a full-blown equalizer to touch up manually either, which is pretty ironic but in my opinion this absence might indeed be to hide the mundane function and modification this product provides.

The average flattening of an LCD-X headphone did wow me enough; returning the $150 Schiit Loki is a no brainer and I can finally say a headphone doesn't sound kind of like crap, even on equipment worth over $1k. Perhaps not incredible but decrappified, which means a lot. It appears I wasn't wrong in going against the flow in all of these threads and the forum in general. The value of this is off the chart given its effect and price, crushing that of dacs, amps, and let alone cables (remember that the $285 Black Dragon v2 I tried with the HEXv2 turned out to be pretty much abysmal crap in terms of value given how little it did and questionably so). The crazy thing is this should be doable for free! A couple of awful things come out of this as well. One, how can apparently anyone figure out to flatten the frequency response of headphones yet the manufacturers do not achieve a flat frequency response and don't seem to give two craps about informing or assisting buyers? I kid you not, the difference between the default LCD-X sound and the equalized sound is the difference between a distinct tint of crap and "ok, this makes some more sense now". Some songs may not make the difference seem like much but on others it's easy to tell and very significant. Even on a song like You Gotta Be by Des'ree where much isn't going on once you get to the middle of the song the difference is there. Funnily enough I'm running into an issue with lowering what I understand to be the preamp volume to avoid clipping, which figuratively ends up clipping some of the impressive parts despite turning up the amp volume to compensate, but if anything is really worth the money this is at the top of my list. Unfortunately even for my own hearing I'm starting to think I might need to use the avoid clipping option. If someone can explain very well what this clipping stuff is all about, including why I get the impression of weightier sound, that would be nice. I'm torn between whether to use the avoid clipping or not.

How come?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #10,064 of 12,748
Sonarworks is really something else. My LCD-X's are transformed, as someone said in an earlier post. I concur.

It's like they opened up and came alive. It is a very significant difference. Color me impressed.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #10,065 of 12,748
Have you tried to get it to work within the last year or so? I think it only become “systemwide” with out using other plugins/ programs/etc within the last couple of years?

And if you haven’t tried contacting them then perhaps try.

My customer support/experience was very good when i had issues/questions with getting it to run

Users who are viewing this thread

Back