Audeze LCD-X
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #9,871 of 12,748
I've had this exact same experience very recently as well but with my right driver that stopped working for whatever reason. Funny thing is it happened right before the 3-year mark for the warranty to expire which was in January of this year (bought my X's back in January '15). It was Chris Berens that helped me out and the turn around time was about week when I was expecting my cans to return to me in a month or so. Both drivers replaced and also new ear pads. Not something I was expecting but wow, they went over the top with the repair! Felt like I've had a brand new pair of LCD-X's in my hands. Such an amazing customer service!
It is nice to know others are getting the same great service.

They have set a VERY high bar for other companies to try to equal.

I'll tell you one thing... I trust them. You never know what a company is REALLY like till a problem occurs. But now, many know due to our stories here.

Audeze has a customer for life in me.

Hey, by the way, did you do any kind of breakin for your new drivers? Or is anything needed?

Anyone have an opinion on that?

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #9,872 of 12,748
It is nice to know others are getting the same great service.

They have set a VERY high bar for other companies to try to equal.

I'll tell you one thing... I trust them. You never know what a company is REALLY like till a problem occurs. But now, many know due to our stories here.

Audeze has a customer for life in me.

Hey, by the way, did you do any kind of breakin for your new drivers? Or is anything needed?

Anyone have an opinion on that?

Yes, I have. Just played some music at medium-high volumes for a few hours through them just like I did when I first received them 3 years ago, since they were brand new drivers anyways. Everything sounded phenomenal like I've known my LCD-X's to be. :wink: Nothing more needed to be done as far as I'm concerned since you practically have a new set of headphones in your hands when you received them back from Audeze.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #9,873 of 12,748
That is superior service. Jaren told me they replaced my ear pads - which I didn't expect. Would be incredible if they put the nicer, suspension headband on them. I'll know in about 2 weeks when they arrive here in Central America.

I've just not seen service like this, ever, anywhere.

It really makes one realize the value is far beyond the asking price. Well, if one is inclined to spend this kind of money, at least they can do it knowing they will be very well cared for.

Looking back over my old emails, I found one I sent when I was considering buying. I told them I had heard of a lot of driver failures and was concerned. They wrote back saying not to be concerned. If they failed, they would replace them and extend the warranty 3 more years. And they did precisely that.

Jaren, if you are reading this... thank you so much for your help. You must be proud to work for such a wonderful company. You make me even more proud to be an owner of one your headphones.

That's what happened with my X's. Driver failed, sent them in, they were brand new and upgraded drivers plus the warranty started fresh. Audeze is on another level with customer service.

I also had a Deckard die. When I got in touch with them, they said that all that was wrong was a busted LED light. I was dubious on that, but then they just sent me a brand new Deckard anyway. That's like taking your car into the shop because the turn signal doesn't work and getting a new car. That's crazy.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #9,874 of 12,748
That's what happened with my X's. Driver failed, sent them in, they were brand new and upgraded drivers plus the warranty started fresh. Audeze is on another level with customer service.

I also had a Deckard die. When I got in touch with them, they said that all that was wrong was a busted LED light. I was dubious on that, but then they just sent me a brand new Deckard anyway. That's like taking your car into the shop because the turn signal doesn't work and getting a new car. That's crazy.
I'm really happy I bought from Audeze. I almost didn't because I heard the drivers had issues.

I probably have mine on for 8 hours per day or more. And that's for the last 3 years. So having a driver go out after that many hours is acceptable to me.

That they handled it so smoothly and professionally is really as you say, on another level. It is indeed.

l hope those on the fence see these. A better warranty doesn't exist.

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #9,875 of 12,748
Yes, I have. Just played some music at medium-high volumes for a few hours through them just like I did when I first received them 3 years ago, since they were brand new drivers anyways. Everything sounded phenomenal like I've known my LCD-X's to be. :wink: Nothing more needed to be done as far as I'm concerned since you practically have a new set of headphones in your hands when you received them back from Audeze.
Good to know. I'll run some pink noise through them, then just a regular range of music for a day.

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #9,876 of 12,748
FWIW, aside from "burn-in" deserving quotations around them, Audeze runs like 80 hours of pink noise through everything before shipping them out. So even if you believe in burn-in, there won't be any once they arrive.

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #9,877 of 12,748
FWIW, aside from "burn-in" deserving quotations around them, Audeze runs like 80 hours of pink noise through everything before shipping them out. So even if you believe in burn-in, there won't be any once they arrive.
Mine were repaired in approximately 1 day. So there wasn't 80 hours to have done a burn in, unless you are saying they do this prior to assembly in the headphones.

I do know that the idea of "burn in" is controversial. Like cables. I use the stock cable as minds far more learned than me, say there is no way to hear a difference.

For exactly reasons such as just happened, I ask... you believe they burn them in for 80 hours but in my case they could not have. Unless they are done prior to installation.

Thus, it's interesting for me to get others perspectives.

I did do a "burn in" on mine when I got them 3 years ago. And I don't believe it made a difference. It took some time is all for me to get used to what they could really do.

I'm not one to get into snake oil for the most part. Just couldn't help asking. :)

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #9,878 of 12,748
Mine were repaired in approximately 1 day. So there wasn't 80 hours to have done a burn in, unless you are saying they do this prior to assembly in the headphones.

I do know that the idea of "burn in" is controversial. Like cables. I use the stock cable as minds far more learned than me, say there is no way to hear a difference.

For exactly reasons such as just happened, I ask... you believe they burn them in for 80 hours but in my case they could not have. Unless they are done prior to installation.

Thus, it's interesting for me to get others perspectives.

I did do a "burn in" on mine when I got them 3 years ago. And I don't believe it made a difference. It took some time is all for me to get used to what they could really do.

I'm not one to get into snake oil for the most part. Just couldn't help asking. :)
I remember also, that it took me a bit of time to get accustomed to their sound. It's now my 'from my dead cold hands' HP. However, I've tried several cables, loaned to me, in an afternoon of experimenting. I'm firmly on the 'cables make a diference' side. I ended up with a SilverBlue audio cable. I also believe that a bit of burn-in for flexable diaphrams doesn't hurt. All the above FWIW, of course.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #9,884 of 12,748
Saw someone else say the lcd-x creators now comes with the suspension headband and a new braided cable. Anyone have photos?

edit: wow lcd-x is completely sold out directly right now.

They also come with revised memory foam pads that are either sheepskin or nicer quality protein leather than they've used in the past. I have the 2017 version, so I have the new cable, the re-badged headband (not the suspension one, however), and the new pads. I actually prefer the old style headband, which very much puts me in the minority, so I was pleased to get this specific version. I love that Audeze continually makes these small improvements.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #9,885 of 12,748
They also come with revised memory foam pads that are either sheepskin or nicer quality protein leather than they've used in the past. I have the 2017 version, so I have the new cable, the re-badged headband (not the suspension one, however), and the new pads. I actually prefer the old style headband, which very much puts me in the minority, so I was pleased to get this specific version. I love that Audeze continually makes these small improvements.

Guessing I have the new memory foam pads as my drivers were just replaced in February. Have never touched any others so cant compare but they look and feel new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back