Audeze LCD-X
Feb 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #9,841 of 12,748
it is with a rather heavy heart that I say this, but I just listed my LCD-X in the classifieds for sale. I love them and hate to see them go, but I have other TOTL cans in its class and above, and I simpy can't afford to keep them all at this time, although I wish I could. I hope it can find a good home with another enthusiast,

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #9,842 of 12,748
Any comparisons to the Clear?

Less even because of the lifted bass, but the bass is far better extended by virtue of being a planar. Clear's treble is, well, more clear, but that to me is teeny tiny nitpicking between the two. Clear has a bigger soundstage and is hella more comfortable. Mids are recessed on the X by comparison, giving it more energy but a touch less smooth.

If you're looking for an inoffensive all-rounder, get the Clear. If you're looking for that meaty Audeze sound that's more neutral/even, get the X.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #9,843 of 12,748
Just got the X’s last night. 1st impression is they seem surprisingly recessed in the upper mids / high end ..3-6k region.
Starting to wonder if it’s just my specific pair or, if I need adjust to other pairs being to top end heavy comparably. Hmmmmm.
Just does not seem, thus far, to be the neutral signature (top end wise) I’ve heard so much about.

Their weight is very significant but that’s a known fact.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #9,844 of 12,748
Just got the X’s last night. 1st impression is they seem surprisingly recessed in the upper mids / high end ..3-6k region.
Starting to wonder if it’s just my specific pair or, if I need adjust to other pairs being to top end heavy comparably. Hmmmmm.
Just does not seem, thus far, to be the neutral signature (top end wise) I’ve heard so much about.

You could give it a bit of time to break in. I didn't like them much when I got them. After a short time, I wouldn't part with them, unless $3000.00 U.S. fell into my hands for the MX4. There's also the 'Reveal' pluggin from Audeze, which might improve the response to your satisfaction. Also; I've found the Xs to be sensitive to better cords or amps, upstream. I bought a Wywires Red cable, and then discovered a cable from Silverblue Audio which was a great leap forward in terms of transient speed. There's a cornacopia of possibilities with this headphone. Just give it a bit of a chance, and it's likely that you'll be pleased.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #9,845 of 12,748
Thanks really appreciate you sharing that. My first listen last night was via an Oppo ha2 and wave file via iPod.
I’ll listen again later through other sources.
They now ship with an upgraded braided cable that I received fwiw.

I know Audeze breaks them in for 24hrs before shipping and would argue there enough but ? Guess that’s very debatable.

I also considered the MX4 for mixing mostly but was assured by the Audeze folks that the X was their “most neutral for mixing”.
Now curious about that.

Trying hard to put aside my 1st impression of them literally, to my ear, sounding so what veiled in the top & give it a bit more time.

Wondering what was the main thing that changed for folks like you that didn’t love them at first.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #9,846 of 12,748

Many people comment on the uneven treble region. I heard it on the two pairs I listened to. It creates an odd treble region. It was discussed heavily when the headphone was released. The LCD2C does a bit better in the treble area, but it also has some pitfalls.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #9,847 of 12,748
Interesting and I know there are many impressions out there that point out some areas of concern, like anything.

My take is geez, really? Although nothing is perfection and everything has some degree of compromise..,,at the LCD line price points shouldn’t their “most neutral pair” be close to just that?..,,or ar least, not presenting a glaring gap in a certain frequency range?

Still, trying to keep an open mind till I can spend a bit more time w them.
First impressions are often strong for a reason however.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #9,848 of 12,748
Interesting and I know there are many impressions out there that point out some areas of concern, like anything.

My take is geez, really? Although nothing is perfection and everything has some degree of compromise..,,at the LCD line price points shouldn’t their “most neutral pair” be close to just that?..,,or ar least, not presenting a glaring gap in a certain frequency range?

Still, trying to keep an open mind till I can spend a bit more time w them.
First impressions are often strong for a reason however.

Comparing the X to one of the most neutral pairs around, the MrSpeakers AEON Closed, the X sounds closer to that benchmark than does the LCD-2 or LCD-3. It is what I would categorize broadly as neutral, and certainly it is more neutral than the other LCDs. The 3-6khz dip departs from that a bit, but on my pair at least, it's only about 5 db down from neutral there. I find myself upping the volume to make up for this, so I end up hearing this as a slightly emphasized sub-bass, bass, and low-mids presence. It's a bit of a duck-rabbit thing going on, but I find that I enjoy the way that this headphone departs from neutral. I listen to the AFC as a reference can to listen to music as neutral, but I prefer it with some bass boost, so even that ends up sounding close to the X unaltered.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #9,849 of 12,748
Comparing the X to one of the most neutral pairs around, the MrSpeakers AEON Closed, the X sounds closer to that benchmark than does the LCD-2 or LCD-3. It is what I would categorize broadly as neutral, and certainly it is more neutral than the other LCDs. The 3-6khz dip departs from that a bit, but on my pair at least, it's only about 5 db down from neutral there. I find myself upping the volume to make up for this, so I end up hearing this as a slightly emphasized sub-bass, bass, and low-mids presence. It's a bit of a duck-rabbit thing going on, but I find that I enjoy the way that this headphone departs from neutral. I listen to the AFC as a reference can to listen to music as neutral, but I prefer it with some bass boost, so even that ends up sounding close to the X unaltered.

Appreciate hearing that.

Interesting as upping the volume does improve their presentation into an area in which the top feels to me, to be more reasonably perceived.

All this makes me curious about MX4 as a sonic comparison.
I clearly need to be more patient with the X and keep an open mind.

Really love their low end and mids thus far.
A real treat.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #9,850 of 12,748
AFC? Just wondering.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #9,851 of 12,748
I clearly need to be more patient with the X and keep an open mind.

Really love their low end and mids thus far.
A real treat.

I had the LCD-2F for a while before getting the X, and I was surprised at how little the X improved over the 2F. At first. After further listening and A/Bing, I realized that the X is an improvement on nearly all of the technical aspects or sound (things like: driver speed and resolution, soundstage, imaging, etc.), but to my taste didn't have the same magic as the sound signature of the 2F. It works for me because they compliment each other well and I don't feel like the 2F is redundant. But, I could honestly see preferring the 2F over the X. I could even understand thinking they are about the same in terms of technical ability. They're not, but it's damn close. Anyway, my point is: give them some time. What they do really well is fairly subtle and takes some time and comparison to hear. It also depends on the amp pairing as well. Less of a difference between the two on my Black Label, more of a difference on my NFB-28.38. Once you do hear the difference though, it's fairly obvious.

AFC? Just wondering.

MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed. Likely the headphone closest to the Harman target response curve that's ever been made.

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #9,852 of 12,748
I had the LCD-2F for a while before getting the X, and I was surprised at how little the X improved over the 2F. At first. After further listening and A/Bing, I realized that the X is an improvement on nearly all of the technical aspects or sound (things like: driver speed and resolution, soundstage, imaging, etc.), but to my taste didn't have the same magic as the sound signature of the 2F. It works for me because they compliment each other well and I don't feel like the 2F is redundant. But, I could honestly see preferring the 2F over the X. I could even understand thinking they are about the same in terms of technical ability. They're not, but it's damn close. Anyway, my point is: give them some time. What they do really well is fairly subtle and takes some time and comparison to hear. It also depends on the amp pairing as well. Less of a difference between the two on my Black Label, more of a difference on my NFB-28.38. Once you do hear the difference though, it's fairly obvious.

MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed. Likely the headphone closest to the Harman target response curve that's ever been made.
Thanks; should've cought that. My computer speaks to me and I thought that HP was the Ian Flow. What an eegit I am.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #9,854 of 12,748
I am however now very curious about the MX4.
The lighter weight would be much much better of course but, any sonic difference's between them are pretty hard to find as very few have compared & spent time w both it seems.
Their price point would a far reach for sure however.

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #9,855 of 12,748

it took me a few hours to get used to them but they are fantastic in many ways

yeah they kinda mute some of the sound spectrum but they really shine at the sound they are presenting to you

thats my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back