Audeze LCD-X
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #9,526 of 12,748
Exactly, the weight difference does not matter much compared to the proper weight distribution in a larger area.
That being said, I also agree they could com up with a simples suspension+metal headband that is not so expensive...

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #9,527 of 12,748
Music Creator Special
Limited-time offer of $1199

Audeze headphones have revolutionized the recording industry. Many of today’s biggest hits were mixed, mastered, and tested with our headphones. Amazingly, the engineers and producers behind these hits had never used headphones in their workflow until they heard Audeze!

For a limited time, we’re offering music creators and enthusiasts everywhere the opportunity to experience the award-winning sound of the LCD-X at the price of $1199. This Creator Package gives you all the great music of the LCD-X, but does not include the travel case.

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-x

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #9,528 of 12,748
Music Creator Special
Limited-time offer of $1199

Audeze headphones have revolutionized the recording industry. Many of today’s biggest hits were mixed, mastered, and tested with our headphones. Amazingly, the engineers and producers behind these hits had never used headphones in their workflow until they heard Audeze!

For a limited time, we’re offering music creators and enthusiasts everywhere the opportunity to experience the award-winning sound of the LCD-X at the price of $1199. This Creator Package gives you all the great music of the LCD-X, but does not include the travel case.

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-x
Thanks for the heads up!

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #9,529 of 12,748
Well...after about 3 weeks with these fantastic headphones, I've finally got around to publishing my own review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-x/reviews/9976

Yet another winner by Audeze IMHO and I couldn't recommend them any higher.
smile.gif
I know this comment is regarding a review you wrote nearly 4 years ago, but after reading some of the reviewers ahead of yours on that link, I was feeling a little worried and quite a bit concerned actually. It seemed there were a few who were not very happy with the LCD-X. The negative reviews didn't seem to agree with one another about what they didn't like. Which quite frankly, left me confused. I attribute the discrepancy to the reviewers audio chain and personal taste

The positive ones like yourself seemed to have a much better consensus as to what they liked

So thank you

At this moment, I am loving Jack Johnson's "All The Light Above It Too" on iTunes ripped from the CD. It's not lossless. Just plain old AAC. I'm sure there are more sonic benefits to go lossless, but I like things simple. I play the same files via bluetooth through my car's head unit and my speaker mounted on my bike from my iPhone. Lossless doesn't play through those devices

My system at the moment has a quality that I've only experienced while watching this guy in Japan who retrofits (mostly) vintage JBL speakers for a premium price. I always liked that sound signature

With my current headphone setup, the LCD-2F sounds really amazing! But.....I feel I'm missing something in the treble region along with a few other little things. After reading your review and a couple of others, it convinced me to take the plunge and try out the LCD-X. It seems closer to what I want. Well, at least on "paper"

My bank account isn't happy of course. But if I find that the X isn't for me, I can always sell them. This is a crazy awful wonderful hobby

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #9,531 of 12,748
Any dac + amp recommendations for the X? Considering the Deckard or bifrost + lyr 2 currently.
I'm still going through the thread but many have liked the Mjohnir/Gungnir combo. I've read that the Lyr isn't a good match with the LCD-X but it's good for the LCD-2. The LCD-X is low enough in impedance and sensitive enough that you could run them off a phone but of course better power will get you better results. If you've got the $$$, I've also read that the GS-X Mk2 is great as well. As of now I've got the HifiMan EF-6 through the Audio-gd DAC-19 that I use for the LCD-2 which sounds like a slice of heaven

I'm hoping with the LCD-X I'll get a bigger slice of heaven :wink:

If you are near Newhall, California Schiit has a place called the Schiitr that showcases all their gear. Last I saw, they had the LCD-XC there you could try out. They also have a bunch of other TOTL headphones there as well. The guy there is very chill

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #9,532 of 12,748
Any dac + amp recommendations for the X? Considering the Deckard or bifrost + lyr 2 currently.
I've been amping the LCD-X through Deckard for a month and I've been loving the combo! My only two other amps are HDVD800 and Woo Audio WA2, both have very high output impedance and end up making the LCD-X sound "hollow" (I think the mids are a little recessed, but no measurements have been done). The Deckard gave my LCD-X a full and warm sound.

I'm selling it though, as I'm planning to get a Ragnarok to pair with my HD800. From what I've read, the Rag should be able to handle the LCD-X well, so the Deckard has to go.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #9,533 of 12,748
Just read a shoot out regarding amps for the LCD-X you might be interested in......And the WINNER IS.........!
Drum roll, Please...pumpumpumpumpump...the battle of the headmps (driving the LCD-Xs) has been waged: the ultimate fighters are...
1. Burson Soloist
2. EF-6
3. Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp
4. Mjolnir

Here are the results:
1. Burson Soloist: does a creditable job for a thousand bucks. Great dynamics, not an ounce of fat/flab, tight as a tick...the Burson is a great amp for the price. There is a small problem: the sound stage is kind of collapsed/consctricted with this one compared to the Darkstar. Moreover, the sound is a bid edgy at times...too much energy for its own good. This is not a laid back gentleman who exerts his power behind the scenes like the Darkstar...the is a young turk out to make a statement...a splash. So, the whole thing is kind of rambunctious, kind of loud, too much oomph to the whole thing. Excellent if you haven't heard the rest, but ultimately a bit lacking in the elderly statesman department.

2. Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp: I bought it for about $1600 coupled with the desktop power supply about two years ago; now I see that it's going for much cheaper at HeadRoom. This one is just Okay, but the dynamic range is kind of constricted, as is the Soundstage. This is the one in the bunch with the least cojones (i.e., watts) and it shows. No wow factor at all. Does its thing in a rather nondescript way. Good, but not excellent. This is really an amp made for the Fostex, Ultrasones, Audio Technicas, and Denons of the world. Does a rather nice job with the HD800s, though, because of it's darker-sounding tone.

3. Mjolnir: at $750 bucks this is the Budget amp of the lot. Since I don't have a balanced copper headphone cable, I had to play the LCD-Xs using the stock cable and the Silver Dragon Moon Audio replacement cable. Never had been a fan of the Mjolnir or Schiit amps...sounded like crap driving the HD800s and HE-6 due to nails-scratching-the-chalkboard screeching and piercing highs (plus, not enough power for the HE-6s anyway). Now, I have to be objective (and I've been known to make fun of the Schiit fanboys in the past): the Mjolnir does an amazingly good job at driving these babies...in my opinion, much better than the Burson and Headroom amps. Mind you, I couldn't use what would be the ideal choice for this amp driving the LCD-Xs: a high-quality copper headphone cable replacement ala ALO Audio or Moon Audio. The Silver Dragon cable was way too bright-sounding with the Mjolnir/LCD-X combo (no surprise here given that the Mjolnir is a bright sounding amp and silver only exacerbates the situation). Now, with the stock cable things improve considerably...while still mildly bright everything else is in the right place. Get the copper cable and we are definitely in business!!! What a pleasant surprise...and this is coming from someone who used to be (until tonight) a Schitt hater! Now, I decided to use my new Silver Dragon cable on the LCD-2s driven by the Mjolnir out of curiosity, and all I can say is...wow! This amp was simply designed to drive the warmish Audezes to perfection. Whoever thinks (myself included until tonight) that the Audezes of old were lacking in treble has to give a listen to them through the Mjolnir...preferably with silver cables...suddenly the LCD-2s I kind of despised have blossomed into quite something (not quite LCD-X territory, but believe it or not, within striking distance!).

4. EF-6: I think everyone who has read my posts in the past is familiar with my rants regarding how the EF-6 - which was specifically designed by Fang Biang to drive the HE-6s - is totally inadequate (at least in my estimation) at driving the much frustrating, pigs-to-drive Hifiman flagship. The thing does have the power and finesse to drive everything well - specially the HD800 and T1 - to lofty heights...yet the HE-6 remains hopelessly earthbound, tending to distort with wide swings in dynamics as often happens in Mahler's symphonies and Wagner's overtures, for instance. So how does the EF-6 fare with the LCD-Xs? In a word, SPECTACULARLY!!!! I am getting virtually the same sound out of the EF-6 as I am getting out of the Darkstar, the only difference being that the EF-6 costs less than half (i.e., I think 1.5 to 1.6K) of what a Darkstar would cost (i.e., I think mine cost somewhere between 3.2 and 3.5K). Great soundstage, great dynamics, tight, velvety...everything said about the Darkstar/LCD-X combo in my initial impressions applies to the EF-6/LCD-X combo. Just remember, I used the Silver Dragon headphone cable and a copper interconnect cable (i.e., for some reason, this combination of cables with the Darkstar and EF-6 does work it's magic...go all out copper and it sounds too warm...go all out silver and it sounds too bright...mixed it up and you get perfection (i.e., reminds me of Goldilocks!).

So, what do we have here? These are the rankings of the headphone amps I've tried so far with the LCD-Xs:
1. EF-6: while tied with the Darkstar in every department, it is close to 2K cheaper! This one is a no-brainer. If you got's the the dinero, blindly take the leap...it will also drive your HD800 and T1 to perfection.

2. Darkstar: amazing, but way too expensive...get the EF-6 and you'll be missing nothing (i.e., since the use of balanced interconnects with the EF-6 is not possible - only RCAs - I am thinking that the great sound of the Darkstar has nothing to do with it being fully balanced...it's all about the power, baby.

3. Mjolnir: the surprise of the day...if you are on a budget and want to have the LCD-Xs shine, go for it, but get a good copper headphone replacement cable...you won't regret it. If you are in an even tighter budget, just get the Mjolnir with the LCD2s...The two together sound amazing, even with classical music...this is the first time in my life when I've heard the LCD-2s presenting a respectable soundstage and a fairly extended treble. The LCD-3s with the Mjolnir must be magical, by the way!@.

4. Don't wast your money with the Burson if you want to drive the LCD-Xs (now, if you want to drive the TH900s, Beyer T5P, Ultrasone Ed. 8, and Audio Technicas of the world, do get it, since it is a glorious and relatively affordable amp; just don't expect it to make water into wine when it comes to the LCD-Xs...sounds good, but there are much better choices.

5. Decware Taboo: the jury is still out since I have much tube rolling to do still, but I would tend to agree with the venerable one (i.e., Macedonian Hero) on this one: Orthos were not made to be played by tube amps!!!

6. HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp: foggeddabouit...doesn't do enough for the money you pay...let's just leave it at that.

As you can see, the more powerful the amp, the better it drives the LCD-Xs. These may be efficient and all you want, but they do like it when driven by a couple of dynamite sticks.

I hope these "vignettes" have been helpful to the head-fi community. It has been an honor!

Sincerely,

Figaro

P.S. - using Oppo and Marantz SACD players all the way...no compressed music in this neighborhood!

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #9,534 of 12,748
Just read a shoot out regarding amps for the LCD-X you might be interested in......And the WINNER IS.........!
I got like 400 bucks tops for an amp man haha

I'm quite interested in the liquid carbonx on massdrop right now! For 299 and the sound of a v2 cavalli, it seems like a steal.
I also sifted through this thread and found the ember II works wonderfully with the LCD-X, and its only $299 aswell.
Other than that the Deckard and Mjolnir v1 sound like good options as well.

So far the ember II and cavalli sound the best to me, haven't heard much about the pairings though. I've got 3 days to choose as the cavalli drop ends then.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #9,536 of 12,748
A few weekends ago I was able to listen to LCD2 and both generations of the LCD-X. If it matters, a friend brought his 2014 (2013 original version), while mine is a 2017 (2016 updated version). Though these sounded different from each other, they were still both, in my opinion, significantly better than the LCD-2. And unlike the HD800S/HD650, I felt the LCD-X (both versions) were in every way possible better than the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is quite the bargain, and still has the Audeze house sound. But the LCD-X simply extends in both directions, highs and lows, and fills in details across the spectrum, while not losing any sense of balance (i.e. the highs don't dominate, the lows don't dominate). So I agree with the original post that the LCD-X is a complete upgrade versus the LCD-2.

I agree with this 100%. I own the lcd-2 and the lcd-x i bought my lcd-2 in the very first batch of preorders and loved it right away. Last year I went to a headphone store and spend the afternoon listening to the lcd-x and the lcd-3 with various high end sources and amps. The best way I can put it is that if you like the lcd-2 sound you will love the lcd-x even more as it does the same things just even better. Conversely if you don't like the sound of the lcd-2 you might find the lcd-3 more pleasing as it is a different beast all together.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #9,537 of 12,748
I got like 400 bucks tops for an amp man haha

I'm quite interested in the liquid carbonx on massdrop right now! For 299 and the sound of a v2 cavalli, it seems like a steal.
I also sifted through this thread and found the ember II works wonderfully with the LCD-X, and its only $299 aswell.
Other than that the Deckard and Mjolnir v1 sound like good options as well.

So far the ember II and cavalli sound the best to me, haven't heard much about the pairings though. I've got 3 days to choose as the cavalli drop ends then.

I've personally heard the NFB-11 is a great DAC/Amp combo for the sub-500 USD price range, it's basically a waaaaay better Jotunheim. I can't say anything for sure though, as I'm currently driving my LCD-X through a Fiio E10K like the peasant I am LMAO

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #9,540 of 12,748
I've personally heard the NFB-11 is a great DAC/Amp combo for the sub-500 USD price range, it's basically a waaaaay better Jotunheim. I can't say anything for sure though, as I'm currently driving my LCD-X through a Fiio E10K like the peasant I am LMAO

So you are just repeating what you randomly read, not what you have or tried for yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back