Audeze LCD-X
Mar 16, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #9,151 of 12,748
  Any recommendations for a tube amp (do they have ones with dacs as well? if so highly needed). Big plus if its a balanced tube amp.

I'm looking for the $500-600 range. Currently pairing the LCD X with the deckard, and really not enjoying it's sound. I also really just prefer a darker sound, and i feel the deckard causes treble issues that require EQ.

Feel free to toss links / names my way!! I don't mind buying preowned.

May be a bit above your price range, but I've heard a ton of good comments about the Schiit Mjolnir2.  This amp is unique as it supports both SS and tube options.  The Mjolnir2 is a balanced design.

And, I agree with @astralpen to me the X would suffer from a gooey tube amp.  If you want the more-gooey sound, go for the LCD-2.  Just my opinion...

Cheers,
RCB

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #9,152 of 12,748
I have used the LCD-X with a Phonitor to good effect. My Crane Song DAC has a headphone out that works well also. Really, you just want something fast and neutral.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #9,153 of 12,748

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #9,154 of 12,748
I'm really enjoying the subtle change in tonality that the tone switches provide from my HiFiM8 (w/IEM Mod)!

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #9,155 of 12,748
  I like these the best of the Audeze...still leans a little to the romantic side...I would definitely not go to a gooey tube amp with these.

omg they are delicious with gooey tubes... tubes for life, tax the transistors. it should be illegal any other way
o2smile.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #9,156 of 12,748

omg they are delicious with gooey tubes... tubes for life, tax the transistors. it should be illegal any other way
o2smile.gif

Agreed.  They sound awesome with my Icon Audio HP8 MkII.  

Still trying to find the perfect 6SN7 for them, though.  Checking out some early russian 6SN7 equiv. right now, and am liking them. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #9,157 of 12,748

May be a bit above your price range, but I've heard a ton of good comments about the Schiit Mjolnir2.  This amp is unique as it supports both SS and tube options.  The Mjolnir2 is a balanced design.

And, I agree with @astralpen to me the X would suffer from a gooey tube amp.  If you want the more-gooey sound, go for the LCD-2.  Just my opinion...

Cheers,
RCB

thanks for the reply! I actually came from the LCD 2, after listening to the LCD X in store, i almost cried at the sound. Though not a fan of my Deckard with the LCD X. I will look into the Schiit Mjolnir2! 

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #9,159 of 12,748
  Hello everyone
I have ZMF OMNI Headphone and I'm enjoying it
Is it better for me to upgrade to the LCD-X?
Can I know the difference between the headphones in terms of bass and midrange and Sounstage Please?

Do you find anything lacking in the Omni/Ori that would make you want to upgrade?

Moreover, LCD-X is an open can, which would have a different presentation sound-wise to Omni/Ori. The Omni/Ori would provide better isolation and a smaller soundstage, whereas LCD-X would need a quiet environment for listening, also being open cans they will leak sound.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #9,160 of 12,748

Do you find anything lacking in the Omni/Ori that would make you want to upgrade?

Moreover, LCD-X is an open can, which would have a different presentation sound-wise to Omni/Ori. The Omni/Ori would provide better isolation and a smaller soundstage, whereas LCD-X would need a quiet environment for listening, also being open cans they will leak sound.

No problem with ZMF OMNI, on the contrary, is a great Headphone!
But I did not try other :/
So I asked you, is it worth the amount of $ 1,700 to upgrade to LCD-X?
The question is, I'll find a difference between ZMF Omni and the LCD-X, especially in terms of the most important they headphone: BASS and midrange and Soundstage?

*Sorry 4 m bad ENG*

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #9,161 of 12,748
The question is, I'll find a difference between ZMF Omni and the LCD-X, especially in terms of the most important they headphone: BASS and midrange and Soundstage?

*Sorry 4 m bad ENG*

My apologies, I have the Eikon, not the Ori, so I won't be able to make a fair comparison.

I'll just say that the LCD-X has delicious bloomy bass layering, lush mids and vocals in a nice open soundstage. It has the most treble energy among the LCDs, but still has a thick, warm tilt. My Eikon in comparison has a more closed-in feel but gives a more focused sound, like in a studio, while the X has a concert-like feel. Is it worth $1700? For me yes.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #9,162 of 12,748

*Sorry 4 m bad ENG*

I have never heard such a linear detailed bass response while maintaining a slightly forward midrange than from my LCD-Xs. The treble is the most extended of the Audeze line too. I can say that the soundstage presentation is realistic rather than artificially wide in my opinion.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #9,163 of 12,748
I have never heard such a linear detailed bass response while maintaining a slightly forward midrange than from my LCD-Xs. The treble is the most extended of the Audeze line too. I can say that the soundstage presentation is realistic rather than artificially wide in my opinion.

+1 on the soundstage realism. With lambskin pads, it sounds exactly like you're in the middle of a concert hall, and with the vegans it sounds exactly like front row. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #9,164 of 12,748
Hi Everyone,

I want to comment on the AMAZING support Audeze gave me, And find a solution to the problem.

A while ago I posted a problem I had with the LCD X - The Fazor was hurting my ears:

Quote:
  Hi,

I am a new member of the LCD X CLUB.

It is my first day trying them, I really like the sound signature, coming from the He 400i's.

I do have a massive problem with the X, If I can't fix it I will be forced to sell them :frowning2:

Before buying them I was afraid that their weight will be too much for my head, I am happy to say that my neck doesn't hurt at all.

The problem is with my ears. I don't know if it's the fazor, But something about or in the ear cups pressures against my ears (I think against the tips of my ears).

I looked up a picture of an ear, This ear resembles my ear, I circled with my Picasso skills the most painful area in my right ear (The pain is much more severe with my right ear.)

CLICK TO ENLARGE.

I can feel the pressure minutes after putting the headphones on.

I tried to change the fit and the way the headphones sit on my head, It helped reduce the pain while wearing the headphones, But after taking them off I suddenly felt that extreme pain again (ESPECIALLY MY RIGHT EAR).

Did any of you experience this kind of problem?

Will changing the pads / headband work?

I really like the sound of the X's, I want to keep learning about their sound signature  but If I can't fix this problem I will be forced to let them go, The pain is unbearable. 

I never thought the problem will be with the cups / giant pads :frowning2:

Thanks,

Daniel.

It is in beta and we showed it at NAMM. It is in partnership with another company and was initially designed for studio use. We will post about it on the site in a few days.

People here told me to contact Audeze for support, I will be 100% honest, I didn't expect them to help.

Not one penny of my purchase went to Audeze, I expected they would ask me to pay for any accessories that might help me.

Instead, They sent me spacers (100% on their expense!, They arrived really fast!), Which create distance between your ears and the fazor, Hence fixing the problem.

I must admit I was 100% they are not going to be of much help.

To think they provide this kind of assistance when I am not even a direct customer!

Hat's off to you Audeze! 
beerchug.gif

Unfortunately the spacers didn't fix the problem, The pain in my left ear is completely gone, But my right ear is screaming for help.

I would hate to sell these! I am in love with the X's sound signature 
biggrin.gif

I will be happy to hear ANY suggestion (changing pads, headbands / ANYTHING) that will help fix this problem.

To Audeze - I sent you another mail, I am willing to do anything because I really want to keep these!

Thanks you again for your amazing support!

I told everyone I know about you :)

Thanks,

Daniel.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #9,165 of 12,748
Hi Everyone,

I want to comment on the AMAZING support Audeze gave me, And find a solution to the problem.

A while ago I posted a problem I had with the LCD X - The Fazor was hurting my ears:

Quote:
 Hi,

I am a new member of the LCD X CLUB.

It is my first day trying them, I really like the sound signature, coming from the He 400i's.

I do have a massive problem with the X, If I can't fix it I will be forced to sell them :frowning2:

Before buying them I was afraid that their weight will be too much for my head, I am happy to say that my neck doesn't hurt at all.

The problem is with my ears. I don't know if it's the fazor, But something about or in the ear cups pressures against my ears (I think against the tips of my ears).

I looked up a picture of an ear, This ear resembles my ear, I circled with my Picasso skills the most painful area in my right ear (The pain is much more severe with my right ear.)

CLICK TO ENLARGE.

I can feel the pressure minutes after putting the headphones on.

I tried to change the fit and the way the headphones sit on my head, It helped reduce the pain while wearing the headphones, But after taking them off I suddenly felt that extreme pain again (ESPECIALLY MY RIGHT EAR).

Did any of you experience this kind of problem?

Will changing the pads / headband work?

I really like the sound of the X's, I want to keep learning about their sound signature  but If I can't fix this problem I will be forced to let them go, The pain is unbearable. 

I never thought the problem will be with the cups / giant pads :frowning2:

Thanks,

Daniel.

It is in beta and we showed it at NAMM. It is in partnership with another company and was initially designed for studio use. We will post about it on the site in a few days.

People here told me to contact Audeze for support, I will be 100% honest, I didn't expect them to help.

Not one penny of my purchase went to Audeze, I expected they would ask me to pay for any accessories that might help me.

Instead, They sent me spacers (100% on their expense!, They arrived really fast!), Which create distance between your ears and the fazor, Hence fixing the problem.

I must admit I was 100% they are not going to be of much help.

To think they provide this kind of assistance when I am not even a direct customer!

Hat's off to you Audeze! 
beerchug.gif

Unfortunately the spacers didn't fix the problem, The pain in my left ear is completely gone, But my right ear is screaming for help.

I would hate to sell these! I am in love with the X's sound signature 
biggrin.gif

I will be happy to hear ANY suggestion (changing pads, headbands / ANYTHING) that will help fix this problem.

To Audeze - I sent you another mail, I am willing to do anything because I really want to keep these!

Thanks you again for your amazing support!

I told everyone I know about you :)

Thanks,

Daniel.

Two word solution: "Van Gogh"....

Glad Audeze responded. Do you think another spacer on the right side might give you enough clearance? Or maybe a few rings of something like Alcantara on the ear side of the pad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back