Audeze LCD-X
Feb 17, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #8,957 of 12,748

Quite a mishmash of information what @bosiemoncrieff provided, but basically after keeping tabs with the various threads - the Elear has basically been preferred only a few times, and the only reason being their tuning/coloration.

Oh well, I might just settle with my HD650's for a few more years until I graduate. With the new computer monitors coming out soon I am more tempted to get those instead but the LCD-X I am being offered is in mint condition and at a fantastic price. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #8,958 of 12,748
  Oh well, I might just settle with my HD650's for a few more years until I graduate. With the new computer monitors coming out soon I am more tempted to get those instead but the LCD-X I am being offered is in mint condition and at a fantastic price. 

I wonder what kind of a response were you after.
There'll always be people who prefer B over A, and shaving off some Elear hype due to their recently-launched status, let me rephrase: a majority seems to have still preferred LCD-X over Elear. Technically/SQ-wise LCD-X takes the cake, but the tuning of Elear FR curve-wise/coloration has been preferred by some.
I haven't auditioned Elear at home extensively, so I'll refrain from further comments.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #8,959 of 12,748

I wonder what kind of a response were you after.
There'll always be people who prefer B over A, and shaving off some Elear hype due to their recently-launched status, let me rephrase: a majority seems to have still preferred LCD-X over Elear. Technically/SQ-wise LCD-X takes the cake, but the tuning of Elear FR curve-wise/coloration has been preferred by some.
I haven't auditioned Elear at home extensively, so I'll refrain from further comments.

Justification as to why A might be better than B, keep a close look at the bolded text. Because I have listed some pros and cons for myself and it wasn't substantial enough to make a decision, that is why I am here asking for opinions. Obviously these are taken with a grain of salt as audio is subjective after all. I could audition them down at my local audio store but with my busy schedule it will be hard pressed to make a trip down as it is not near to where I live. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #8,960 of 12,748
I think @drwlf just gave you a reason. LCD-X is more technically proficient and has better overall SQ, but some folks may prefer Elear's frequency response and color. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #8,962 of 12,748
The right driver of my 2-year old LCD-X died again.  The first time was a year ago.  There is a 3-year warranty on the drivers (thankfully).  Mine must be jinxed...I don't hear a lot of issues with the LCD-X but the drivers on my unit have failed twice in as many years.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #8,963 of 12,748
  The right driver of my 2-year old LCD-X died again.  The first time was a year ago.  There is a 3-year warranty on the drivers (thankfully).  Mine must be jinxed...I don't hear a lot of issues with the LCD-X but the drivers on my unit have failed twice in as many years.

I am sorry to hear that. You just emphasised on why I don't think I should get it right now. So where do you sent it for repairs seeing as we are neighbours.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #8,967 of 12,748
  Well, I am planning to buy from someone in the US. So if anything happens to it I won't know how to go about it. That is why reliability is key...

Well, it's generally a good idea to do some research about warranties before buying anything.

Regarding Audeze: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/214556843-How-long-is-my-Warranty-for-What-does-it-cover- + out of warranty driver replacements, obviously with a fee, are available as well.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #8,968 of 12,748
wondering if there is any chance it is not the headphones but the amp or dac in causing the driver failure?  just saying because it is the same side driver twice now.  it might sound like a stretch but for example i had repeated tweeter failures on my old desktop speakers and it was due to a bad internal amplifier output circuit which was blowing output caps every 6 months.  you couldn't hear it but once the cap went bad the tweeter would roast and start smoking hot to touch.  apparently it was sending a very high power high frequency into it that couldn't even be heard but was sufficient to destroy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back