Audeze LCD-X
Feb 8, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #8,911 of 12,748
  So looking for a change at the moment i'm running hd800's from a cambridge dac magic plus to a schiit valhalla 2. I've sourced a pair of lcd-x's for a decent price but i heard they don't go well with tubes so will need a new amp. Wondering what amp around $300 USD would do the lcd-x's justice. I heard that they don't require much amping so looking to spend as least as i can on it since i don't really believe amps make THAT much of a difference.

Schiit Jotunheim?

And yes, the amps DO make a difference. In fact, any change in the chain has an impact on the sound quality, how much impact depends on your ear and on the device.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #8,912 of 12,748
  It is in beta and we showed it at NAMM. It is in partnership with another company and was initially designed for studio use. We will post about it on the site in a few days.

Hi Audeze,

Sorry it took so long, I sent you a mail regarding my problem with the fazor.

I also send the same message using your support form.

Thanks,

Daniel. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #8,913 of 12,748
Recently got my hands on an LCD X for 1k and i can't seem to find some grounding as to what I should pair this with. Currently I have a JDS O2 dac/amp and Schiit modi/magni 2 stack. Where can I go next? I'm looking at Cavalli, Cambridge and Emotiva brands but can seem to pull a trigger on anything. Your response is greatly appreciated. Budget for this is around 5-6K

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #8,914 of 12,748
Recently got my hands on an LCD X for 1k and i can't seem to find some grounding as to what I should pair this with. Currently I have a JDS O2 dac/amp and Schiit modi/magni 2 stack. Where can I go next? I'm looking at Cavalli, Cambridge and Emotiva brands but can seem to pull a trigger on anything. Your response is greatly appreciated. Budget for this is around 5-6K

Personally my setup is a McIntosh D100 DAC and LCD-X at home and I just decided to replace my WA7 amp with the PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated tube amp.  Have their ProLogue driving some mini maggies and the sound is just incredible.  Plus it provides up to 100 watts of tube power out into speakers if you want to share it with some desktops.  One thing I really appreciate about their amps besides being incredible tube amps is their auto-biasing which really extends tube life and lowers distortion. It is under your budget and i'm not sure you can get a better tube amp for even twice the price.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #8,915 of 12,748
  So looking for a change at the moment i'm running hd800's from a cambridge dac magic plus to a schiit valhalla 2. I've sourced a pair of lcd-x's for a decent price but i heard they don't go well with tubes...

Not sure where you heard about the synergy between the X and tubes but in my world they sound absolutely amazing together. I'm upgrading my WA7 to a PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP amp soon as my end game setup.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #8,916 of 12,748

Yggy, wa5-le?

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #8,917 of 12,748

Not sure where you heard about the synergy between the X and tubes but in my world they sound absolutely amazing together. I'm upgrading my WA7 to a PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP amp soon as my end game setup.

For the better part of a year my setup was a Woo WA5-Auralic Vega-LCD-X.  I have replace the Vega with a PS Audio Directstream DAC and added a Cavalli Liquid Gold.  I still love the sound of the X with the WA5.  The WA5 gets as much time as the Lau.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #8,918 of 12,748
Just wanted to add my thoughts/experience to this thread.

I got a set of LCD-X cans from the black friday sale. At first I was bummed I didn't get a pretty wood version of the LCD-2, but that quickly passed.

The set I got it is all black with microfiber pads. They really are quite bitchin'. At first they were soooo tight on my head they actually triggered my migraines and I got sort of worried that I wouldn't be able to ever enjoy them. However I just bent the headband in the opposite direction a bunch to loosen the clamping pressure which did a lot to lessen that and soon got used to the feeling. I also usually use the last one or two indents on the adjusting poles as I have a huge head I guess. I may make a headband pad just for some extra comfort one day.

I now cannot imagine my life without these things. On average I typically wear them for at least 5 hours a day. They are simply amazing and I am extremely happy with my purchase. They are suited just right for my taste and I really love the Audeze sound. The bass makes me smile, and the rest of the spectrum is wonderfully non fatiguing and not intruded upon at all by the low end.

I also find them great for watching movies and television where some of my other cans just don't sound good. It's like having 2.1 speaker setup strapped to my ears. Everything sounds so "real?" sometimes I freak myself out thinking someone is in my house or something freaky like that.

Oh and I have mainly been using a Mojo as a DAC/amp lately. Nothing bad to say about this setup.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #8,919 of 12,748
Agree
normal_smile .gif
 LCDX sounds not only pleasant but also clean, dynamic, accurate tight, airy, quite real and very universal across many genres. It has most of what it should have..

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #8,920 of 12,748

Wow, isn't this a fun question for the LCD-X community to ponder!  Imagine - a new X user and 5-6K to spend on the upstream rig.  Let's go shopping!

My personal ideas...you can't go wrong with the Schiit MB DAC's.  I have the GMB and it sounds great.  Have also heard the Yggy and it Really sounds great.  Both are very resolving and get out of the way of the digital music.  Some have said the GMB sounds a bit "warmer" that may work well with the fairly neutral sound of the X.

As for amps - wide open.  You have the tube folks (as Pippen posted about his WA5) but amps can sound quite a bit different.  Depends on if you prefer your X to sound warmer or cooler...perhaps the Mjolnir2 as option that allows either SS or tube rolling.  That would be fun - to be able to change the amp to give the sound you like.

And, I know it's a dangerous comment, but don't forget some decent interconnects and HP cables along the way.

BTW, my rig is fully balanced and I recommend going that way.

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #8,921 of 12,748
Wow, isn't this a fun question for the LCD-X community to ponder!  Imagine - a new X user and 5-6K to spend on the upstream rig.  Let's go shopping!

My personal ideas...you can't go wrong with the Schiit MB DAC's.  I have the GMB and it sounds great.  Have also heard the Yggy and it Really sounds great.  Both are very resolving and get out of the way of the digital music.  Some have said the GMB sounds a bit "warmer" that may work well with the fairly neutral sound of the X.

As for amps - wide open.  You have the tube folks (as Pippen posted about his WA5) but amps can sound quite a bit different.  Depends on if you prefer your X to sound warmer or cooler...perhaps the Mjolnir2 as option that allows either SS or tube rolling.  That would be fun - to be able to change the amp to give the sound you like.

And, I know it's a dangerous comment, but don't forget some decent interconnects and HP cables along the way.

BTW, my rig is fully balanced and I recommend going that way.

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Actually ordered a liquid carbon and now in the process is procuring a Mojo. I hear that it's end game for a lot of people so if it's the end for some I'll make it the beginning for me. Then I'll go from there since I can't justify dropping my whole budget when I don't even know the sound that I am looking for.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #8,922 of 12,748
Actually ordered a liquid carbon and now in the process is procuring a Mojo. I hear that it's end game for a lot of people so if it's the end for some I'll make it the beginning for me. Then I'll go from there since I can't justify dropping my whole budget when I don't even know the sound that I am looking for.

Makes sense to me.  If you have a chance to hear the Schiit DAC's (at a meet or a friend's home) that would be a good data point.  The rig you mention above will certainly sound great with the LCD-X.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #8,924 of 12,748
Wish I could understand "will certainly sound great with the LCD X" mean already. Lol

OK, I will try to describe the sound from my LCD-X.  They have accurate, punchy and fast bass.  Never muddy.  The mids/treble have been described by some folks as "recessed" but with my rig (see my equipment, if you choose) the mids/treble are not recessed but are present in the correct amount.  Overall, I find the X sound to be quite neutral although the bass is somewhat pronounced in relation to other headphones (which I think gives them a full/deep sound).  The X certainly do not have a warm sound.  The soundstage is nicely wide and quite deep - just right for a rock/blues HP.  I know these are all subjective descriptions but still hope they help already.  LOL.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #8,925 of 12,748
the only thing i would want of the X in terms of sound is a slight bit more air up top.  and i think the only reason i even realize this is after having used a T1 for a long time before purchasing the X.  I heard the 4 gives that to you but the tradeoff other then ridiculous price is added weight and potential driver reliability issues neither of which are worth changing for.  the air on the X isn't bad at all really, it is quite good but the T1 I sometimes switch to when listening to really delicate vocals and sometimes it puts tears in the eyes.  upgrading my WA7 to a PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP hopefully gives a bit of that experience back to the X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back