Audeze LCD-X
Dec 8, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #8,672 of 12,748
  Hey guys,

I was hoping some of you could provide me with your opinions. I recently put in an order for a b-stock LCD-2 and unfortunately they were out of wood so are offering a alum version or an upgrade to new LCD-x for $1000.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?!?!

I have wanted some LCD-2's for a couple years now and never really considered the X due to cost, however now I can but don't know if I should.

What I am mainly concerned about is low end response. Due to their lighter drivers and the laws of physics I'm worried the low end not as abundant as in a LCD-2.

I listen to a lot of hip hop, various types of rock from punk, hardcore, scr/emo, to the classics, as well as many different types of electronica. I realize the design of these headphones allows for good eq'ing but still feel like I don't have enough information to make the decision despite all the research I have done. Unfortunately I am not able to compare them in person either.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Holy crap that is like 40% off list! Anyhoo, like others mentioned go for the X. I have flipped over to your type of music on occasion (mostly listen to classical) and I am always pleasantly surprised at how well it does in modern genres. I would not worry about the low end-- it is beautiful on the X.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #8,673 of 12,748
Hey guys,

I was hoping some of you could provide me with your opinions. I recently put in an order for a b-stock LCD-2 and unfortunately they were out of wood so are offering a alum version or an upgrade to new LCD-x for $1000.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?!?!

I have wanted some LCD-2's for a couple years now and never really considered the X due to cost, however now I can but don't know if I should.

What I am mainly concerned about is low end response. Due to their lighter drivers and the laws of physics I'm worried the low end not as abundant as in a LCD-2.

I listen to a lot of hip hop, various types of rock from punk, hardcore, scr/emo, to the classics, as well as many different types of electronica. I realize the design of these headphones allows for good eq'ing but still feel like I don't have enough information to make the decision despite all the research I have done. Unfortunately I am not able to compare them in person either.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

If they're offering you a $1000 LCD-X, take that deal and run with it. I've never heard the LCD-X being described as bass light.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #8,677 of 12,748
  An X for $1000.

I hate people like you like I hate people who win the lottery 
wink_face.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #8,679 of 12,748
I've got a question about the LCD X headphones. I understand there are regular upgrades to the design, it looks like almost every year and the last upgrade is almost one year ago. Who knows when the X is going to get an upgrade again? I have heard it yesterday and want to buy it, but if it's already replaced 2 months after I buy it, I won't be happy.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #8,680 of 12,748
I've got a question about the LCD X headphones. I understand there are regular upgrades to the design, it looks like almost every year and the last upgrade is almost one year ago. Who knows when the X is going to get an upgrade again? I have heard it yesterday and want to buy it, but if it's already replaced 2 months after I buy it, I won't be happy.

If you get an LCD-X, you're getting a great headphone. Don't worry about these revisions - your OCD cares more than your ears do!

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #8,683 of 12,748
If you get an LCD-X, you're getting a great headphone. Don't worry about these revisions - your OCD cares more than your ears do!

You're right!

Also, how does the XC compare? I've compared the LCD 3 (newest) today to the X, and I find the 3 far too heavy in the bass. It's like having a subwoofer in your ear. Also, smoother than the X, while I prefer a slightly brighter sound than the X. If the XC also has more bass, and then on the level of the 3 especially, I know I need the X. Problem is, I can't test the XC over here.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #8,684 of 12,748
You're right!

Also, how does the XC compare? I've compared the LCD 3 (newest) today to the X, and I find the 3 far too heavy in the bass. It's like having a subwoofer in your ear. Also, smoother than the X, while I prefer a slightly brighter sound than the X. If the XC also has more bass, and then on the level of the 3 especially, I know I need the X. Problem is, I can't test the XC over here.

I'm going to get shat on relentlessly - but IMO the XC has more in common with the HD800 than the X.

Okay, not really, but the XC is considerably brighter than the X and the amount of detail is off the charts. Hardly a "closed version of the X". Locating instruments is razor accurate, even if the soundstage is narrowed because of the closed cups.

However, my Xs have vegan pads, and XCs have leather, so maybe that has something to do with it. I desperately want vegans for the XC.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #8,685 of 12,748
I'm going to get shat on relentlessly - but IMO the XC has more in common with the HD800 than the X.

Okay, not really, but the XC is considerably brighter than the X and the amount of detail is off the charts. Hardly a "closed version of the X". Locating instruments is razor accurate, even if the soundstage is narrowed because of the closed cups.

However, my Xs have vegan pads, and XCs have leather, so maybe that has something to do with it. I desperately want vegans for the XC.

So you also have the non leather pads for the X? Why have you replaced the standard pads?

I also find that the X sounds somewhat as a LCD 3 with a quarter hd800. But the hd800 itself is not my top pick. Overemphatized detail and the mids are not transparent. If you want a dynamic with mids similarly fluid like with the LCD range, listen to the Shure 1840. Off course not as transparent and fluid as the LCD's but much better than the hd 800.

But if the 2016 LCD XC is brighter than the X, then that's my headphone. Tomorrow I'm going to try to listen to the XC if that's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back