Audeze LCD-X
Sep 28, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #8,491 of 12,748
I was ready to give up on these headphones when I first got them due to the weight. I even ordered the Ether Flow in hopes they would sound nearly as nice. But while waiting for the Flows I received the CF headband and the comfort level was night and day. So, peace out, Flows.

You may want to give the Ether Flow a shot at making your inventory.  IMO, they are a nice complement to the LCD-X.  The more I've listened to the Flow (still breaking in), I think they will shine brightly on music like jazz, acoustic, vocal, even classical.  I still prefer the LCD-X for rock and heavy blues, so there's the compliment.  FWIW.

Enjoy your music,
RCB

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #8,492 of 12,748
I was ready to give up on these headphones when I first got them due to the weight. I even ordered the Ether Flow in hopes they would sound nearly as nice. But while waiting for the Flows I received the CF headband and the comfort level was night and day. So, peace out, Flows.

Thank guys for your responses to my questions.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #8,494 of 12,748
You may want to give the Ether Flow a shot at making your inventory.  IMO, they are a nice complement to the LCD-X.  The more I've listened to the Flow (still breaking in), I think they will shine brightly on music like jazz, acoustic, vocal, even classical.  I still prefer the LCD-X for rock and heavy blues, so there's the compliment.  FWIW.

Enjoy your music,
RCB

I had the Flows for a weekend and listened to them before the magical burn in period. I really really wanted to like them, but my ears said no.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #8,495 of 12,748
Hello all

Several pages back I posted some impressions of the Ether Flow vs Audeze LCD-X.  While I really liked the Flows, most especially the incredible dynamics and the full bass, something just wasn't right in the treble.  There was some excessive presence and hardness that dominated the sound.  

Well, it turns out the pair I was using duing my evaluation had a tuning problem, and was apparently not representative of the sound one should expect from the Ether Flow.  

One day I hope to be able to revisit this comparison.  Even 'compromised' the Flow showed its stuff, and it was a tough, tough competitor for the LCD-X.  

At the end of the day, I didn't feel it was good enough, though, to go through the process of changing headphones.  Perhaps I would have felt a bit differently if I had one with a different tune.  

Anyway, I am still very, very satisfied with my pair of LCD-X, and even MORE so now that I have upgraded my DAC from an iFi iDSD Micro to a Wired 4 Sound DAC-1 LE with Femto clock.  The W4S DAC is an excellent match, imo, for the LCD-X.  

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #8,496 of 12,748
I have had my LCD-X for a few weeks now and am really enjoying it. I will have to buy the carbon fiber headband though as it is one heavy beast

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #8,497 of 12,748
I'm kind of lazily watching the classifieds for an LCD-X. I'm not prepared to spend four figures, as I will have to upgrade to CF (my vegetarianism weeps) and the vegan pads that almost no one seems to buy, and will likely not pull the trigger until it dips below $850. It's just not important enough to me.

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #8,499 of 12,748
Yes, do you?

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #8,501 of 12,748
My LCD X and the upgraded cable sounds so good I forgot I had it on for hours. I didn't even need suspension headband.

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #8,502 of 12,748
I do not.

You need to go to the "For Sale / Trade" forum from the main page, then select "Headphones for Sale / Trade."  There you can create a post to offer your equipment for sale.  Look at other posts - pictures are good, etc.  There are some rules you should read before posting the first time, they are vey informative.

Hope this helps,
RCB

http://www.head-fi.org/f/109/for-sale-trade-and-feedback-forums

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #8,503 of 12,748
headbands arrived in perfect condition... 25 grams lighter, more comfortable and a very complimentary look with the X.

edit: after hours of using the new headband i can agree it is tons more comfortable then stock.  this should honestly be the only headband they sell all their LCD's with.  Just drop the original, seriously.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #8,505 of 12,748
Just realized one thing I really love about the LCD-X that I take for granted and only noticed while switching to my MHP1000 for a few days is it never squeaks or makes any noise when I move my head, with my glasses or chew or anything.  Every other headphone in my collection is always creaking or making some noise.  Hats off to Audeze for getting this right, really makes listening to music more enjoyable when that is all you hear and not the headphones themselves.

Update on the new headbands... wow just supremely comfortable.  Audeze really needs to just make these the default and save their customers the headache, hassle, and expense of swapping them out.  The original design is by comparison very uncomfortable now that I am used to the new design, they just need to phase those out across all product lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back