Audeze LCD-X
Sep 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #8,462 of 12,748
Anyone on this thread know of a closed back that has an audeze type sound that's sub 500 dollars? Not looking for refinement and such just want a good closed back with a similar enough sound for bed, car rides ect. I have sure 215 and a w30 for iems both of which I think sound great but even a comfy iem causes pain after 30 min or so.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #8,463 of 12,748
Anyone on this thread know of a closed back that has an audeze type sound that's sub 500 dollars? Not looking for refinement and such just want a good closed back with a similar enough sound for bed, car rides ect. I have sure 215 and a w30 for iems both of which I think sound great but even a comfy iem causes pain after 30 min or so.

I don't know about having Audeze sound but I like the pm-3 for closed back at under $500. But also heard great things about the Audeze Sine.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #8,464 of 12,748
  I just got the Ether Flows.  I listened for only about 30 min, so take this with a grain of salt.  If you enjoy the LCD-X and especially what the lower end bass provides, the Flows will likely not really do it for you.  I have the LCD-X and the Stax 3100, which I think they are nice complements to one another, as to my ears, they are pretty opposite.  I was hoping the Flows would be like the Stax but without needing the electostatic amp. Long story short, I would rather listen to either the Stax or LCD-X (with heavy preference for the LCD-X) than the Flows.  I know, I haven't listened to the flows for very long, but I didn't have to listen to the LCD-X or Stax very long either to decide what I liked and didn't like about them either, and not much has changed in a month..   Just my 2 cents.

I also have a pair of new Ether Flow (~40-50 hours on them) and mine also sounded thin on low-bass when new.  However, with time, they do open up on the low end.  Will be interesting to see if they get to where the LCD-X bass resides, personally I hope so.  Because with the superb upper mids the Flow have out-of-the-box, if they can get that low bass going, they could be superb.  IMHO.

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #8,465 of 12,748

I also have a pair of new Ether Flow (~40-50 hours on them) and mine also sounded thin on low-bass when new.  However, with time, they do open up on the low end.  Will be interesting to see if they get to where the LCD-X bass resides, personally I hope so.  Because with the superb upper mids the Flow have out-of-the-box, if they can get that low bass going, they could be superb.  IMHO.

Cheers,
RCBinTN

never gunna happen

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #8,467 of 12,748
I don't know about having Audeze sound but I like the pm-3 for closed back at under $500. But also heard great things about the Audeze Sine.

+1

I heard the PM-3s and was blown away for the $$ at the last meet I went to.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #8,468 of 12,748
The Ether V-Planar drivers do really improve after break in. I know it's debatable with a lot of headphones, but it's pretty well documented and I've experienced it myself. Now will they get to the point of the X's bass? Doubtful. However even a small boost in the low end over the original Ethers is very welcome.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #8,469 of 12,748
I honestly don't know why companies don't make "burn in" a part of their production process, if it really improves the performance.  Maybe people love the burn in process?  Maybe it keeps them from returning it if they don't love it immediately?  The headphones I love the most, to me, I loved them immediately and the sounds didn't really change upon more use.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #8,470 of 12,748
I honestly don't know why companies don't make "burn in" a part of their production process, if it really improves the performance.  Maybe people love the burn in process?  Maybe it keeps them from returning it if they don't love it immediately?  The headphones I love the most, to me, I loved them immediately and the sounds didn't really change upon more use.

I think you've answered your own question as to why manufacturers don't do burn ins, in your last sentence.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #8,471 of 12,748
audeze do. They state it on the card. Pre burnt in and ready to use

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #8,472 of 12,748
audeze do. They state it on the card. Pre burnt in and ready to use
But of course a new owner will hear their headphones "open up" over time, since the majority of "burn in" is getting accustomed to the sound of unfamiliar headphones.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #8,473 of 12,748
I went to order my carbon fiber headbands today and noticed 2 distinct styles of headband... the original i remember with wider carbon bands that come together in more of a V and in the gallery i see others that have narrower bands and come together in an O which looks cheaper and stylistically out of place in my opinion.  Recent purchasers please to post pictures of your headbands.  If I receive the narrower band version they will be going right back. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #8,474 of 12,748
But of course a new owner will hear their headphones "open up" over time, since the majority of "burn in" is getting accustomed to the sound of unfamiliar headphones.

K1000 perhaps above all.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #8,475 of 12,748
I went to order my carbon fiber headbands today and noticed 2 distinct styles of headband... the original i remember with wider carbon bands that come together in more of a V and in the gallery i see others that have narrower bands and come together in an O which looks cheaper and stylistically out of place in my opinion.  Recent purchasers please to post pictures of your headbands.  If I receive the narrower band version they will be going right back. 

I just got mine and they have the V shape.

I will send a pic when I get back to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back