Audeze LCD-X
Sep 21, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #8,446 of 12,748
  EDIT: Is the vegan headband any more/less comfortable than the leather headband?

The headband's a bit of a wash, but my god are the vegan pads ever comfortable. I'd totally spring for them all the time if there was no political cache going along with it...

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #8,447 of 12,748
The headband's a bit of a wash, but my god are the vegan pads ever comfortable. I'd totally spring for them all the time if there was no political cache going along with it...

Comparing my LCD-2 leather to the vegan LCD-X, the vegan is more comfortable. I then upgraded to the carbon fiber headband and both the vegan and leather suck

Edit: meant for bosiemoncrieff

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #8,448 of 12,748
A week in and I'm still fkn amazed by these headphones. For studio production it's a wizard. So many mixdowns I've done rechecked on these and can notice blatant flaws I never picked up on other headphones but always new they were flawed . Essentially if your make your mix sounds good on lcd-x you can't go wrong . Best studio investment yet

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #8,449 of 12,748
I agree with your assessment, but I do have points of difference.

Generally, I much prefer the LCD-X to the HD800. So much so, I don't really listen to he HD800 these days. However, if I'm going to listen to classical music, jazz, or acapella, and I have my choice between the two, I'd pick the HD800 every time.

These are the three styles of music that the LCD-X struggles with (although it does ok with acapella) and is unable to compete with the HD800.

I would have to disagree. 

I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical, and the LCD-X is just fine on these genres.  More than fine.  If you prefer the HD800 on these types of music, then sure, by all means listen to the HD800 :)

But to say the LCD-X 'struggles'?  I take issue with that characterization.  Doesn't perform as well?  I could accept that.  Very different than 'struggles'.  I don't think a headphone of this caliber really 'struggles' with anything.  

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #8,450 of 12,748

I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical, and the LCD-X is just fine on these genres.  More than fine.  If you prefer the HD800 on these types of music, then sure, by all means listen to the HD800 :)

But to say the LCD-X 'struggles'?  I take issue with that characterization.  Doesn't perform as well?  I could accept that.  Very different than 'struggles'.  I don't think a headphone of this caliber really 'struggles' with anything.  

Go on.

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #8,451 of 12,748

Call it struggling or not performing well. Either way, it's not accurately reproducing the sound in these genre.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #8,452 of 12,748
I have what might be a really silly question.  I read a lot of people saying certain headphones have more "accurate" soundstage or imaging.  Or accurate anything.  I assume this is to mean that the headphones replicate how it was recorded originally either live or as intended in studio.  So, my question is, unless you're the one that recorded the music, or were at the actual recording, how would you know how accurate the instrument placement is or how it's supposed to sound?

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #8,453 of 12,748
  I have what might be a really silly question.  I read a lot of people saying certain headphones have more "accurate" soundstage or imaging.  Or accurate anything.  I assume this is to mean that the headphones replicate how it was recorded originally either live or as intended in studio.  So, my question is, unless you're the one that recorded the music, or were at the actual recording, how would you know how accurate the instrument placement is or how it's supposed to sound?

Who knows...

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #8,454 of 12,748
Any headphone with a frequency response other than +/- 0db from 20Hz to 20kHz struggles to reproduce sound accurately.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #8,455 of 12,748
I heard a piano recital in Grace Cathedral last December. It was so muddy and echoic that I longed for my HD800s—"they could convey a much more accurate soundstage!" I thought.

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #8,456 of 12,748

The use of accurate in this case is probably better replaced by precise. Accuracy is debateable due to the likelihood of the listener being present at the recording, but it can be approximated by looking at the frequency response graph and common sense/experience.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #8,457 of 12,748
I just got the Ether Flows.  I listened for only about 30 min, so take this with a grain of salt.  If you enjoy the LCD-X and especially what the lower end bass provides, the Flows will likely not really do it for you.  I have the LCD-X and the Stax 3100, which I think they are nice complements to one another, as to my ears, they are pretty opposite.  I was hoping the Flows would be like the Stax but without needing the electostatic amp. Long story short, I would rather listen to either the Stax or LCD-X (with heavy preference for the LCD-X) than the Flows.  I know, I haven't listened to the flows for very long, but I didn't have to listen to the LCD-X or Stax very long either to decide what I liked and didn't like about them either, and not much has changed in a month..   Just my 2 cents.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #8,458 of 12,748

This is my idea with avg spectrum analysis of a track vs playback avg spectrum analysis through headphones

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #8,459 of 12,748
  I just got the Ether Flows.  I listened for only about 30 min, so take this with a grain of salt.  If you enjoy the LCD-X and especially what the lower end bass provides, the Flows will likely not really do it for you.  I have the LCD-X and the Stax 3100, which I think they are nice complements to one another, as to my ears, they are pretty opposite.  I was hoping the Flows would be like the Stax but without needing the electostatic amp. Long story short, I would rather listen to either the Stax or LCD-X (with heavy preference for the LCD-X) than the Flows.  I know, I haven't listened to the flows for very long, but I didn't have to listen to the LCD-X or Stax very long either to decide what I liked and didn't like about them either, and not much has changed in a month..   Just my 2 cents.

LCD-X for the win!

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #8,460 of 12,748

Yesss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back