Audeze LCD-X
Aug 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #8,326 of 12,748
Perhaps i'll just wait for Audeze to make the CF leather free. The X would be an interesting purchase, but hardly necessary for my listening. More of a 'fill a gap' kind of thing. And at the moment I'm more interested in getting a TOTL portable (like n90q) than another open-back reference.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #8,327 of 12,748
They should make an aluminum frame/synthetic version for ~$50 to ~$75 a la HiFiMAN. They'd be the lightest and cheapest.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #8,328 of 12,748
Not sure if this has been said in this thread yet, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Gustard H10 with the Audeze LCD-X? I have the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies and they sound great with my Audeze LCD-X. I was wondering if the Gustard H10 and perhaps the Gustard X12 combo would provide a better sound or should I just stick with my Woo Audio WA7?

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #8,330 of 12,748
Anyone switching to the flows? I have one in order and trying really hard to not keep both.

I have the ETHER and the X.  I will do the upgrade to Flow unless the price increases substantially since I was not in the first 40.  Right now the X gets 80% of headtime.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #8,331 of 12,748
  I have the ETHER and the X.  I will do the upgrade to Flow unless the price increases substantially since I was not in the first 40.  Right now the X gets 80% of headtime.

Pretty much the same for me. Might keep both, but if the Ether Flow is a huge improvement on bass, might let the X go.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #8,333 of 12,748
contemplating Ether Flow or Elear atm, auditioned both, liked both tho to me at least, neither punches as hard as my LCDX... but for the peace of mind of not self destructing... I'm contemplating ...

I think the Elear is a great complimentary headphone to have with a planar. There's something about the dynamic driver that gives it a slightly different feel. And while I've not heard the Flows yet, the X definitely has more slam/subbass than the Elears.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #8,336 of 12,748
contemplating Ether Flow or Elear atm, auditioned both, liked both tho to me at least, neither punches as hard as my LCDX... but for the peace of mind of not self destructing... I'm contemplating ...
  I think the Elear is a great complimentary headphone to have with a planar. There's something about the dynamic driver that gives it a slightly different feel. And while I've not heard the Flows yet, the X definitely has more slam/subbass than the Elears.

I wanted to throw this out there for what it's worth: I picked up the Utopia and I think it is fantastic, but right now I have no plans to get rid of my X. I still really like the way the X handles bass.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #8,338 of 12,748

indeed. there is a sense of "exuberance" I hear on the Elear this is rather addictive. I might be a colouration of sorts but one with flatters my music collection rather than detracts from it.

What would be the pros and cons to flows vs Elears for you? And assuming you keep the lcd-Xs.

Main issue for me would be cost, as Flow is nearly twice the price of Elear here.

Flow, and in similar ways, Utopia are clearly technically superior, more resolving of both sonic and musical details, and refined. Yet, to me at least, the listening experience becomes more cerebral than visceral, not hd800 type clinical as I still feel emotionally engaged to the music but still more middle of the hall than front row to me. Applogies to any objectivists reading this!

I wanted to throw this out there for what it's worth: I picked up the Utopia and I think it is fantastic, but right now I have no plans to get rid of my X. I still really like the way the X handles bass.

Most definitely!

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #8,339 of 12,748

I'd be interested in a comparison between the Eutopia and the LCD-4 as to similarity in price.  Wrong thread, I know, but in passing, has anyone been able to listen to both?

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #8,340 of 12,748

I'd be interested in a comparison between the Eutopia and the LCD-4 as to similarity in price.  Wrong thread, I know, but in passing, has anyone been able to listen to both?

When the LCD-4 came out, I had really high hopes for it. What I wanted was a headphone that had the ability to handle bass and mids like the X and the ability to articulate highs like the HD800, but without the HD800's harshness (the well documented 6k Hz issues). I listened to the LCD-4 and what I heard was the typical Audeze house sound, but a bit more refined than what you'd find in the X. The LCD-4, in my mind, was nowhere near twice the performance of the X and I did not see it as a large enough upgrade to buy it.

About two weeks ago, I went to audition the Utopia. Where I auditioned it, I had the pick of the litter as far as amps were concerned, but I went with an amp that I was very familiar with and my own music so as to limit the difference of what I was hearing to only the Utopia. Within a minute, I knew I was listening to something very special. Unlike the LCD-4, the Utopia excelled in every area. There was no weakness to be found. The imaging is unlike anything I have ever heard. Vocals are spectacular, especially female vocals.

I listen to a wide range of genres, so I threw everything at it to see if it would stumble anywhere. It did not: Rock, jazz, hip-hop, acapella, electronica. It didn't matter. Everything sounded outstanding. Moreover, what I wanted when I listened to the LCD-4 was essentially the best bits of the LCD-X and the HD800, but I got from the Utopia was so much more than that.

So, I bought the Utopia on the spot.

Since then, I've had it at home and have compared it to my X and HD800. If I thought there was one thing that I would change, and it's only noticeable in direct comparison, I would like to have the bass be more like the LCD-X. I have heard on other threads, switching the earpads on the Utopia to the ones that come with Elear will give the Utopia a deeper bass. If that is true, there will be absolutely nothing else for me to complain about. Even if it was not true, it's not like the Utopia is lacking bass in any way, it's just not like the X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back