Audeze LCD-X
Aug 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #8,237 of 12,748
I was following the main 2016 Audeze thread.  And there was a Polish gentleman (I think his name was @eightthree).  He had both sets of X drivers and had positive things to say about the '16 versions.  I'm thinking about updating if business gets better.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #8,239 of 12,748
HE1000 has a bigger soundstage, more neutral, more laid back, more depth, the more accurate headphone, more comfortable.

LCDX has more bass, more bass impact, more intimate, midrange is debatable (I prefer LCDX)

HE1000 is my favorite headphone I own, so I'm bias.  My pre-fazor LCD3 does everything my LCDX tries to do better.  My LCDX has something going on in the upper treble area that throws off its tone.  If you ignore that, and assume I got a bad headphone, the question comes down to what type of headphone are you looking for?  Audeze's are known for their "house sound" - strong bass (which I absolutely love, can't find a headphone that does it better) and their liquid midrange.  The HE1000 is a planar attempt at an HD800.  It has a big soundstage, great imaging, great bass, doesn't have ear piercing highs, gets flak for being soft but I'd say thats amp dependent (but I'm bias).  A lot of peoples issue with the HE1000 is it isn't the best at anything.  People want the best.  Best headphone for resolution: hd800.  best bass: LCDX  And while it isn't the best at anything it's very, very good at everything which makes it a very pleasing headphone, a very, very expensive headphone.

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #8,240 of 12,748
I have both the LCD-X and HE-1000 but haven't done a lot of A/B testing. These are my thoughts:

Both are excellent headphones. The LCD-X's are dynamic and hard hitting. What I was missing when I had them was air and some sense of realism. They are  intimate headphones and more euphonic than the HE-1000 in some ways. I guess they are mid-range euphonic and maybe he HE-1000 are treble euphonic. The LCD-X are super easy to drive. It sounds good straight out of my Naim DAC-V1 headphone output, out of my chord Hugo output and out of the BHA-1. The HE-1000's sound excellent out of the BHA-1. They sound different out of everything I've plugged them into. 

The HE-1000 have become my go-to headphone. They gave me the realism, 3D-ness or whatever you wanna call it that I didn't get from my LCD-X. They are open and airy, and when I put them on I often have to ask myself if the sound is coming from the LS50's on my desk or from my HE-1000. The HE-1000 just seems to make things sound absolutely real. Maybe it's the way the timbre of instruments and voices are portrayed. I'm not sure. I'm still using a stock cable. I hope to get a Prion4 any day now. I am using the 4pin XLR of the BHA-1 and they sound gorgeous. The soundstage is very large, but it doesn't sound unnatural to me like the HD800 did when I auditioned them. The HE-1000 are also much more detailed than my LCD-X.

Really, the two headphones complement each other very well. They have a pretty different character from each other. The LCDX is easy to drive, intimate, and warm. The HE-1000 is open, airy, detailed, and real while still having ample amounts of bass; however it is also more revealing of what is driving them.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #8,245 of 12,748
Lcd x
Hd800
Hd700
He560

I have the 400i and they are ok for their price, but just simply not impressive and boring

I've had/have all of those, and I'd rank them thusly:

1. LCD-X
2. HD800
-----------------------------------
3. HE560
4. Cutting off your ears
5. Going deaf
6. Dying
7. HD700

The line's there because I think there's a fairly large gap between the HD800 and HE560. I think the LCD-X is the most enjoyable listen and IMO doesn't have a single sonic fault (maybe it's not the roomiest soundstage, but it's a preference more than a fault). The HD800 does win in overall detail, although it's a little peaky and not particularly fun.

The HE-560 has a notably elevated, albeit even, treble. It's not peaky, but the whole treble signal above 4kHz is quite high to my ears. The only reason I'd recommend it is because it's cheapest.

I have nothing but contempt for the HD700.

On the internet, for every claim you make you'll find someone passionately saying the exact opposite, no matter how ridiculous the claim. The sky's blue? Naw man, it's grey. It's warm today? Naw man, it's chilly. The HD700 is for those kinds of people.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #8,246 of 12,748
Anyone else have the 2016 driver update done on their LCD-Xs? I've never had to deal with burn-in on these cans until now that I got them back from the driver swap. The top end is so muddy now, and the bass impact has been taken down a couple notches. Midrange clarity is better but that's all I'm hearing now, mids and more mids. They only have about 15hrs of play time on them since the new drivers were installed, but this is not cool. Do they need to burn-in longer?

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #8,247 of 12,748
Anyone else have the 2016 driver update done on their LCD-Xs? I've never had to deal with burn-in on these cans until now that I got them back from the driver swap. The top end is so muddy now, and the bass impact has been taken down a couple notches. Midrange clarity is better but that's all I'm hearing now, mids and more mids. They only have about 15hrs of play time on them since the new drivers were installed, but this is not cool. Do they need to burn-in longer?

I haven't heard the new drivers (still rocking my early 2014 LCD-X), but that doesn't sound normal at all. I don't believe in burn-in, unless you consider mental burn-in/adjustment to the sound as the actual phenomenon (and I'm not trying to start an argument or go off-topic with that statement).

I would reach out to Audeze customer support and let them know about this.

However, if the treble has been butchered and the bass impact is actually lessened with the new 2016 tuning, then I want my 2014 version to last forever lol.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,248 of 12,748

My 2014 LCD X sounded just like that for the first 100 hrs, it was very dark and muted. I went ahead and got the silver dragon but it didn't help. Low and behold one day everything started to change..it's like a young flower blooming in the presence of the sun light. Now, it's perfect. 

My humble suggestions, let it burn as much as possible with on and off period and see what happens 
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #8,249 of 12,748
I do not have the newest revision and would not modify a single sound for the world.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #8,250 of 12,748
My 2014 LCD X sounded just like that for the first 100 hrs, it was very dark and muted. I went ahead and got the silver dragon but it didn't help. Low and behold one day everything started to change..it's like a young flower blooming in the presence of the sun light. Now, it's perfect. 

My humble suggestions, let it burn as much as possible with on and off period and see what happens :D

Ok good, that gives me hope that someone else had the same issue. I'll see where they're at after 100hrs of break-in. If they still suck I'm gonna sell them and try to buy a better voiced version since I can't think of any other can I've heard at any price I'd rather have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back