Audeze LCD-X
Aug 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #8,221 of 12,748
  So, I've an lcd x with old (2014) drivers.

Is it worth getting the new drivers? Or is the upgrade in quality marginal?
Or rather a difference in sound signature rather than a difference in true quality?

Cheers

I've have 2014's as well and have thought about getting '16 drivers. What I've gathered from reading other people's thoughts is the highs are a little more extended and the bass is a little tighter. Overall though I think it's a marginal difference. Probably not worth the money IMHO.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #8,222 of 12,748
I find the vegan quite soft and comfortable, but it's much more noticeable on the ear pads.

people seem to prefer the leather, which makes buying secondhand challenging. You'd need to add like $200 to replace the pads and headband.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #8,223 of 12,748

people seem to prefer the leather, which makes buying secondhand challenging. You'd need to add like $200 to replace the pads and headband.

I had the leather on my 2f.  When I got the X with the vegan pads the comfort level was much improved.  I don't even think I was aware of a headband option at that time(03/15).

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #8,224 of 12,748
  I've have 2014's as well and have thought about getting '16 drivers. What I've gathered from reading other people's thoughts is the highs are a little more extended and the bass is a little tighter. Overall though I think it's a marginal difference. Probably not worth the money IMHO.

thanks for the heads up bro

paying for a subjective 5 procent increase in quality is indeed not worth it

it's just these two small changes? the sound sig remains unchanged?

cheers

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #8,225 of 12,748

thanks for the heads up bro

paying for a subjective 5 procent increase in quality is indeed not worth it

it's just these two small changes? the sound sig remains unchanged?

cheers

Yea, they didn't re-tune them or anything. Just improved some of the driver elements which makes them a little more refined. I personally don't really want any more treble out of my X's, probably the biggest reason I didn't upgrade.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #8,227 of 12,748
Aug 8, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #8,231 of 12,748
  buy the carbon fiber headband. distributes the weight more evenly & makes a world of difference

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/lcd-carbon-fiber-headband

+1 on the carbon fiber headband.  I agree completely.  I bought mine from Audeze last week.  I had been using the sennheiser foam pad and knit headband which worked better than the original headband alone, but it was a bit cheesy looking and only worked ok.  The carbon fiber headband on the other hand works perfectly and really should have been the standard headband for the LCD-X.  So, I can complain about the price of the headband and how it should have been standard, but it was definitely worth the money to me.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #8,234 of 12,748
+1 on the carbon fiber headband.  I agree completely.  I bought mine from Audeze last week.  I had been using the sennheiser foam pad and knit headband which worked better than the original headband alone, but it was a bit cheesy looking and only worked ok.  The carbon fiber headband on the other hand works perfectly and really should have been the standard headband for the LCD-X.  So, I can complain about the price of the headband and how it should have been standard, but it was definitely worth the money to me.

I'll be contemplating getting this vs just paying someone to hold my head up from behind at an hourly rate.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #8,235 of 12,748
I sent mine in for a clicking driver. Anyone know if they give you new drivers with rmas? I liked the old drivers.

If they have to replace the drivers, they use the newest version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back