Audeze LCD-X
Jun 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #8,042 of 12,748
For the price difference you can't beat the LCD-X especially with the upgraded driver it appears.  Wonder if I can send back my gen1 units and get them fully upgraded including the new headbands.  That would be a great service for something around $500?

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #8,043 of 12,748
How does the LCD-X sound on a QP1R? Also, how forgiving is it on older music converted to FLAC that is not mastered as well?

Excellent.  There's enough power to drive them comfortably.  I've been known to listen for a couple of hours now and again with my QP.  I did this for DSD tracks until I managed to get FB2K to DOP for me and my Hugo.
Try it; I really think you'll like it.
Oh and for older not well-recorded flac converts, well, GIGO.

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #8,044 of 12,748

Here is my LCDX with new 2016 drivers.   I doubt you got LCD4 drivers, the newer revisions are said to have more treble than before.

That's quite obvious that i didn't get LCD-4 drivers, my point was rather to show which way LCD-X evolved from it's predecessor. As LCD-4 is now flagship, X came closer to them. Not LCD-3 as i was pre-LCD4 era.

It's now hard to me imagine better headphone than LCD-X at this price point.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #8,045 of 12,748

Just for comparison purposes:  This graph is for my pre-fazor LCD3.   You can definitely see "Audeze tuning" in the two.  Of course, the older headphone drops before 2k hz and has a bump at 5k hz that the newer revisions and LCD4 keep more neutral.  Strange enough, the LCD3 doesn't have pronounced treble like the LCDX, and to my ears has a smoother midrange.  Both are great headphones.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #8,046 of 12,748

Just for comparison purposes:  This graph is for my pre-fazor LCD3.   You can definitely see "Audeze tuning" in the two.  Of course, the older headphone drops before 2k hz and has a bump at 5k hz that the newer revisions and LCD4 keep more neutral.  Strange enough, the LCD3 doesn't have pronounced treble like the LCDX, and to my ears has a smoother midrange.  Both are great headphones.

To sort of prove my point on my last post regarding similarities i took your LCD-3 graph and merged it with my "old" LCD-X graph and you can clearly say it's quite similar - again with a difference in dBSPL.
So to keep it simple and not drop too many merged graphs on the thread: 2014-15 LCD-X is more like LCD-3. 2016 LCD-X is more like LCD-4. 

In audio world graphs doesn't say too much but it definitely say something when it comes to character of a headphone.
What i also can say is that i much prefer new version of LCD-X.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8,047 of 12,748
Great information and I agree with you about the graphs.  Now if only someone can post a 2016-revision LCD3 graph.  I'm curious to see if the 2016 revision has a FR more like the LCD-4 or if they kept the FR like how my pre-fazor is.

My assumption is Audeze puts the same tune on all their headphones but lets the different magnet structures/materials (impedance?) dictate the final sound.

(Also we are going solely on Audeze's graphs which are known to be very smoothed.  It would be interesting to get a 2nd opinion/graph from someone independent.  Someone like Tyll but with the newest revision)

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #8,049 of 12,748
I had the PM3's and X's at the time time for about a month.. The X's were better in every way... 

Here is a comparison I did in the PM3 thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/4125#post_12524386

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #8,051 of 12,748
I read your article, great comparison between PM-3 and Lcd-x, Is it worth to spend 4 times more?
I am also curious on how Hifiman Edition X compared to LCD-X?

That's hard to say, as each person values money differently based on their income and life expenses.. I personally don't regret buying the X's.. If you are uncertain, buy them directly from Audeze and you will have 30 days to compair and decided before you have to return them

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #8,054 of 12,748

I read your article, great comparison between PM-3 and Lcd-x, Is it worth to spend 4 times more?
I am also curious on how Hifiman Edition X compared to LCD-X?

I had a loaner pair of the Edition X for about 10 days.  I have owned the LCD-X for over a year as well as the ETHER.  The LCD-X does everything better than the Edition X except female  vocals.  The bass is fuller and hits harder, the mids are fuller and lush and overall the top end is better with the aforementioned exception.  With female vocalists with very high and bright voices the LCD-X loses a little bit of control.  I can't tell you if the LCD-X is worth 4x the PM-3 having never heard it.  For me the LCD-X was worth 2x the LCD-2f it replaced.  The LCD-X gets about 80% of my head time.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #8,055 of 12,748
Hi guys,
Jonathan here..new to headfi,
Own a LCDx recently, bought it off from a friends..

Just am curious..how wide is the difference of the Lcd x vs the Hex..??

Cause am deciding to buy Hex in view of the sweet and addictive female vocal tuned by hifiman...

Having the LCDx for 1 month, am still feel that it lack some sweetness to the female vocal..

Any opinions guys???
Thanks, jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back