Audeze LCD-X
Jun 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #8,026 of 12,748
Has there been many LCD-X driver failures?
The LCD-3 has had a lot of problems.
I've used mine with heavy use for two years now. Sometimes with mistake insane volume levels. Bordering on blowing up the drivers. All this with no issues at all. LCD-X seems really robust.

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #8,027 of 12,748
I've used mine with heavy use for two years now. Sometimes with mistake insane volume levels. Bordering on blowing up the drivers. All this with no issues at all. LCD-X seems really robust.

I've only heard of one case in Germany so far.

Fortunately not mine though. 
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #8,030 of 12,748

Have had experience with three extremely loud volume blast through the used LCD-Xs I have been using as my main desktop HPs.  I was really concerned that the HPs might have been damaged, but no evidence of this on steady listening for two months since the bursts.

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #8,031 of 12,748
  Have had experience with three extremely loud volume blast through the used LCD-Xs I have been using as my main desktop HPs.  I was really concerned that the HPs might have been damaged, but no evidence of this on steady listening for two months since the bursts.

Yeah. I put a massive 30watts through mine using a HP speaker tap. The LCD-X was as loud as a speaker from 2 meters away. It was only 10-20 seconds but it was really loud. No damage at all.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #8,033 of 12,748
  Still the X is the best headphone Audeze ever made, considering all things (price, performance, reliability, looks)...

I can't fault the X. Sounds good on everything. Very musical.

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #8,034 of 12,748

Yeah. I put a massive 30watts through mine using a HP speaker tap. The LCD-X was as loud as a speaker from 2 meters away. It was only 10-20 seconds but it was really loud. No damage at all.

Audeze rates the LCD-X for a maximum input of 15 Watts for 200 mS which is far and away more than any other headphone I own. The closest competitor is the HifiMan 400i at 6 Watts.

If you managed to push 30 Watts into it for that long, that's crazy impressive. I will not try to replicate that...

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #8,035 of 12,748

Audeze rates the LCD-X for a maximum input of 15 Watts for 200 mS which is far and away more than any other headphone I own. The closest competitor is the HifiMan 400i at 6 Watts.

If you managed to push 30 Watts into it for that long, that's crazy impressive. I will not try to replicate that...

Agreed. We were playing with a speaker tap on low volume and accidentally put it through at very loud volume.
I was very impressed it didn't blow up.
Since then we have put the speaker tap away. Not really something that should be played with.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #8,036 of 12,748
How does the LCD-X sound on a QP1R? Also, how forgiving is it on older music converted to FLAC that is not mastered as well?

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,038 of 12,748
As i received a graph from Audeze for my 2016 revision model i realised it's much different than the graph i had for my previous models. The biggest difference was in higher frequencies. Also there was no significant roll off in the lowest frequencies. So i jumped to LCD-4 thread and i downloaded graph and merged them together. What i realised is that they are quite similar - despite the dBSPL difference due the impedance (i think) also i know the graphs are smoothed out but still i was quite surprised with that similarities. Red: LCD-4; Black: LCD-X

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #8,039 of 12,748
  As i received a graph from Audeze for my 2016 revision model i realised it's much different than the graph i had for my previous models. The biggest difference was in higher frequencies. Also there was no significant roll off in the lowest frequencies. So i jumped to LCD-4 thread and i downloaded graph and merged them together. What i realised is that they are quite similar - despite the dBSPL difference due the impedance (i think) also i know the graphs are smoothed out but still i was quite surprised with that similarities. Red: LCD-4; Black: LCD-X

The similarity is quite striking. Now I wonder if the sound is that similar. I need to audition the LCD-4 again.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #8,040 of 12,748

Weigh it.. Maybe you got LCD4 drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back