Audeze LCD-X
Apr 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #7,831 of 12,748
I was waiting to order mine for both my X and XC until they fixed the strap length issue they had with it.  As far as I know they have not started shipping the fixed bands yet.

I purchased two carbon fiber suspension headbands about two or three weeks ago. They fixed the length of the leather strap.
I own a suspension headband that I got as soon as they were available and it has the problematic hot spot.

So I'd say it's safe to buy the upgraded headband if you are able to at this point.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #7,832 of 12,748
I purchased two carbon fiber suspension headbands about two or three weeks ago. They fixed the length of the leather strap.
I own a suspension headband that I got as soon as they were available and it has the problematic hot spot.

So I'd say it's safe to buy the upgraded headband if you are able to at this point.

cool... last i talked to audeze i had asked them to let me know when they began shipping the new bands and still no word.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #7,833 of 12,748
Well I did order the Carbon Fiber headband on Sat from Adorama.. Sadly I found out they were on vacation throughout this week.. I canceled my order and tried to order it from Audeze on Monday... The salesman told me it would be up on their site by EOD (which it is)... Well by the end of Monday I found that I had adjusted to the headband I have now lol... Now it does not seem to bother me, strange. Anyways, instead ordered a Schiit Asgard for my house as I only have an Oppo HA2.. Will have to use the my Ultramatch SRC2496 as a DAC (or my HA2 line out) until I can convince my wife I need a Bitfrost :p

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #7,834 of 12,748
  Well I did order the Carbon Fiber headband on Sat from Adorama.. Sadly I found out they were on vacation throughout this week.. I canceled my order and tried to order it from Audeze on Monday... The salesman told me it would be up on their site by EOD (which it is)... Well by the end of Monday I found that I had adjusted to the headband I have now lol... Now it does not seem to bother me, strange. Anyways, instead ordered a Schiit Asgard for my house as I only have an Oppo HA2.. Will have to use the my Ultramatch SRC2496 as a DAC (or my HA2 line out) until I can convince my wife I need a Bitfrost :p

Thanks. I finally ordered one.
The standard headband doesn't bother me too much. I just kinda like the looks.

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #7,836 of 12,748
Any impressions on the Carbon Fiber headband with the LCD-X as opposed to the stock headband? I really wish I didn't have to spend $200, but if it's really that great of a difference.. I'll find some money somewhere.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #7,837 of 12,748
$200 just seems... Excessive to me.

I've got a Lohb strap. It's good, but I think I might try one of the AKG straps someone posted a link to. Especially for only like $20 it's worth a shot.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #7,838 of 12,748
I am ready to buy 2 of them one for my X and one for my XC as soon as I get confirmation from Audeze they are indeed shipping the fixed straps (and people have proven them to actually fix the problem.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #7,839 of 12,748
Any impressions on the Carbon Fiber headband with the LCD-X as opposed to the stock headband? I really wish I didn't have to spend $200, but if it's really that great of a difference.. I'll find some money somewhere.

I have one on the way. I will give comfort impressions as soon as I give it a go.

May 1, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #7,840 of 12,748

It's really only necessary if you develop a painful hot spot at the top of your head, where the leather padding on the stock headband forms a seam. Even after re-adjusting my LCD-X (and LCD-XC... and LCD-3), the pain would persist. 

I purchased a Lohb comfort strap for my LCDs and it does the job, but I didn't like the aesthetics and I was also worried about the elastic stretching out over time. 

The carbon fiber headbands are expensive, but I think they are worth it more or less. I think they'd be more fairly priced at $100-150, but it is what it is.

Does it make a difference in comfort? Yes. Depending on your head size, I'd say that you should expect to increase the notch by one when using the carbon fiber band over the stock band. If you are near the end of the notches with the stock rods, you will definitely need to buy the extended rods as well.

I know someone else mentioned providing comfort impressions, but there isn't much to say... Again, it's more comfortable. The headphones become more flexible because of the carbon fiber. There isn't any hot spot with the fixed headband. (Though I'm using the OG carbon fiber band with the leather strap issue on my LCD-X and I have it set at a certain length so that a hot spot will not develop.)

If you rest the headphones on a Woo Audio stand, you don't have to worry about the memory foam of the stock headband compressing and you don't have to worry about the leather developing an indentation when using the suspension headband.  

May 2, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #7,841 of 12,748

I have had the new carbon fiber headbands for about a month now. Ordered them from Adorama. I'm not sure what the strap issue is, but I have not had any issues with mine. The original headbands were so uncomfortable that I could only use the LCD-X for about 1.5 hours. Now I can go for hours with no problem. After spending that much on the headphones, $200 was well worth it for me to be able to use them in comfort.

May 3, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #7,844 of 12,748

It's really only necessary if you develop a painful hot spot at the top of your head, where the leather padding on the stock headband forms a seam. Even after re-adjusting my LCD-X (and LCD-XC... and LCD-3), the pain would persist. 

I purchased a Lohb comfort strap for my LCDs and it does the job, but I didn't like the aesthetics and I was also worried about the elastic stretching out over time. 

The carbon fiber headbands are expensive, but I think they are worth it more or less. I think they'd be more fairly priced at $100-150, but it is what it is.

Does it make a difference in comfort? Yes. Depending on your head size, I'd say that you should expect to increase the notch by one when using the carbon fiber band over the stock band. If you are near the end of the notches with the stock rods, you will definitely need to buy the extended rods as well.

I know someone else mentioned providing comfort impressions, but there isn't much to say... Again, it's more comfortable. The headphones become more flexible because of the carbon fiber. There isn't any hot spot with the fixed headband. (Though I'm using the OG carbon fiber band with the leather strap issue on my LCD-X and I have it set at a certain length so that a hot spot will not develop.)

If you rest the headphones on a Woo Audio stand, you don't have to worry about the memory foam of the stock headband compressing and you don't have to worry about the leather developing an indentation when using the suspension headband.  

Oh yes, I develop a very uncomfortable hotspot on my ead after about 30 minutes of listening.. I usually shift the headphone band slightly forward or backward on my head to a new spot that's not sore.. That usually works for about 20 more minutes.. Then I have to change positions again. I definitely couldn't wear them for hours on end.. 

I think I have pretty large, odd shaped head.. The top of my head goes at a slight slant, you know? So the entire band doesn't touch my head. It's angled,,

May 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #7,845 of 12,748
Hello All,

Just weighing in on the discussion about the new Audez'e headband.  I purchased the carbon-fiber headband from Audeze a few months ago.  It is the one with the "hot spot" whatever that means.

I find the new headband a big improvement to my comfort level with the LCD-X cans.  Specifically, I can now move my head around w/o the headphones slipping out of position.  The new headband makes these heavy cans much more stable on my head.  I'm not exactly break dancing, but you know.

Also, I have no idea what a "hot spot" means.  Is that where the leather meets the carbon fiber?  If so, I consider that a plus that makes the cans even more stable.

FWIW, YMMV, and etc.
Enjoy your music,
RCBinTN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back