Audeze LCD-X
Oct 12, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #7,051 of 12,748
  maybe you swapped cans :wink:  Impedance should be dead simple to measure since planar are all resistive, just put a multimeter across the plug and see. L vs R and yours vs his.  Mine are 20.4 & 21.0 ohms.

Though Audeze quote 20 ohms mine, new, actually measure 18 and 19. So pretty close to stated spec and really easy to drive.

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #7,052 of 12,748
  maybe you swapped cans :wink:  Impedance should be dead simple to measure since planar are all resistive, just put a multimeter across the plug and see. L vs R and yours vs his.  Mine are 20.4 & 21.0 ohms.

Are you talking about one of these things?

I'm not that technically minded.

What do you do with it? What setting? I presume you put the black and red thing on the pins?

I'm using XLR so can I still use it?

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #7,053 of 12,748

Are you talking about one of these things?

I'm not that technically minded.

What do you do with it? What setting? I presume you put the black and red thing on the pins?

I'm using XLR so can I still use it?

Yes, you're even on the right setting.  The pins are as follows.  Put the red and black leads on the 1 & 2 pins and get your reading for the left channel.  Then do the same on the 3 & 4 pins to get your reading for the right channel.  The red and black leads on the + and - shouldn't make any difference, though my OCD would tell you to put the black on - and the red on +.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #7,054 of 12,748

Yes, you're even on the right setting.  The pins are as follows.  Put the red and black leads on the 1 & 2 pins and get your reading for the left channel.  Then do the same on the 3 & 4 pins to get your reading for the right channel.  The red and black leads on the + and - shouldn't make any difference, though my OCD would tell you to put the black on - and the red on +.

Excellent. I felt stupid for asking. I should know this stuff.

I will do mine tonight. At work at the moment.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #7,056 of 12,748

Well, it is just what you think it isn't - driver flex, caused by the diaphragm. Although the LCD-X is an open-back planar, its drivers create a seal (that's probably also one reason for their awesome and lively bass body), and when you press the headphones against your ears, the pressure change deforms the diaphragms. It also happened with mine a couple of times, but didn't do any harm at all.
As a side-note, some IEMs (especially closed dynamic IEMs, but also open dynamic and a few closed Balanced Armature IEMs) also "suffer" from driver flex during insertion, which hasn't done any harm except for very few known cases (when people pushed them too fast and hard inside). Don't worry too much if the sound signature or quality has changed (my LCD-X is still fine although I have done this torture at least 2-3 times).

So can you hear the same thing when you playing music? I mean when you are playing music then meanwhile press the headphone to your head then can you hear the same thing?

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #7,057 of 12,748

I have.  Don't know for sure, but I figure it's the pads sealing against my head and there's a slight pressure change when you press the HPs to your head.
"It hurts when I do that."   "So, don't do that."
FAIK, it very well could be the thin diaphrams or not.  But since mine work just fine, I wouldn't worry about it.  Or email Audeze for confirmation.

So can you hear the same thing when you playing music? I mean when you are playing music then meanwhile press the headphone to your head then can you hear the same thing?

Hi there, same question here, thanks!

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #7,058 of 12,748

Well, it is just what you think it isn't - driver flex, caused by the diaphragm. Although the LCD-X is an open-back planar, its drivers create a seal (that's probably also one reason for their awesome and lively bass body), and when you press the headphones against your ears, the pressure change deforms the diaphragms. It also happened with mine a couple of times, but didn't do any harm at all.
As a side-note, some IEMs (especially closed dynamic IEMs, but also open dynamic and a few closed Balanced Armature IEMs) also "suffer" from driver flex during insertion, which hasn't done any harm except for very few known cases (when people pushed them too fast and hard inside). Don't worry too much if the sound signature or quality has changed (my LCD-X is still fine although I have done this torture at least 2-3 times).

I'd never do that with my LCD-X when playing music, but yes, when I press it to my head without music being played, I can hear the same thing. That's also why I replied, as I knew what the "mysterious sound" was. Audeze pretty much gave you the same reply, also explaining why driver-flex happens when you press your LCD-X against your head.
As I said, the same phenomenon can be discovered with some closed-back dynamic headphones and some sealed IEMs.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #7,059 of 12,748

I'd never do that with my LCD-X when playing music, but yes, when I press it to my head without music being played, I can hear the same thing. That's also why I replied, as I knew what the "mysterious sound" was. Audeze pretty much gave you the same reply, also explaining why driver-flex happens when you press your LCD-X against your head.
As I said, the same phenomenon can be discovered with some closed-back dynamic headphones and some sealed IEMs.

Thanks Chris. I'm asking this since mine has that sound while I'm playing the music and pressing it. And I told the customer service last week, they told me today it is better for me to send it back to inspect or repair in this case. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #7,061 of 12,748

Okay. I just did the readings. Very average. I got 19 on the left and 19 on the right.

Geez it wasn't easy to do. Getting those pins to stay steady.

Contrails I need to measure yours at some stage. Or you could pick up my meter. Let me know.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #7,063 of 12,748

If you didn't have the volume up too high when pressing the LCD-X against your head, chances are very low that the drivers got damaged. And even with high volume, it is rather unlikely that the diaphragms were deformed enough to cause damage, as you stated yourself that you don't hear any sonic changes.

Anyway, getting the drivers checked by Audeze isn't the worst decision either.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #7,064 of 12,748

If you didn't have the volume up too high when pressing the LCD-X against your head, chances are very low that the drivers got damaged. And even with high volume, it is rather unlikely that the diaphragms were deformed enough to cause damage, as you stated yourself that you don't hear any sonic changes.

Anyway, getting the drivers checked by Audeze isn't the worst decision either.

Yes you are right. I never turn the volume too high when I listen to the LCD-X. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #7,065 of 12,748

I have.  Don't know for sure, but I figure it's the pads sealing against my head and there's a slight pressure change when you press the HPs to your head.
"It hurts when I do that."   "So, don't do that."
FAIK, it very well could be the thin diaphrams or not.  But since mine work just fine, I wouldn't worry about it.  Or email Audeze for confirmation.

Hi there, same question here, thanks!

Honestly, I chose not to try.  Rather not take chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back