Audeze LCD-X
Sep 7, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #6,901 of 12,748
True for every product... million dollar cars, etc.  Thankfully, audio gear holds it's value better than many products and they're durable so the concept of getting 15+ years of pleasure out of my investment is feasible.  If it weren't for those facts, I would never consider it.  That said, I never thought I'd consider dropping that kind of money on sound equipment, so I know exactly what you mean!

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6,902 of 12,748
I have a small boat...(20 days a year of good use) and a high end amp (300+ days of good use) Both will be used for many years. The amp, for me, makes more sense to invest in a bigger way.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #6,903 of 12,748
  So, I'm considering buying my end-game rig..I have the LCD-X, and right now, I have the Gustard H10 and the Gustard x20u DAC on the way.  I think I'm just going to take the plunge but don't want to spend much more than 4500 or so for a DAC and amp.  I've read a lot about the Yggdrasil being one the best DACs for the money and the GSX MKII seems to be highly regarded as an amp (I prefer solid state).  I'm looking for that 'headphones disappear' moment.  I can also wait a bit longer if there are some highly anticipated products coming out or if I need to spend a little bit more.

The Auralic Vega/Taurus combo looks interesting too.

Thoughts????

We appear to be following similar paths.  I am 2/3 of the way to my end-game rig.  I have the LCD-X and a Auralic Vega.  I too am using a Gustard H10 and while it sounds great I am fairly sure the H10 is not on the same plane as the rest.  I am considering an ETHER as a complement to the X but the Vega is a keeper.  Until last week my end-game amp was goin to be a Woo WA-5LE(I know you said SS).  Last week Woo announced revisions to the WA-5 along with a nearly $1000 price increase so more thought is needed on that piece of equipment.  I am now considering the Taurus or a Cavalii Liquid Crimson.  My experience with the Yggdrasil was not positive.  I found it to be overly bright and that thing is an absolute oven.  Despite what everybody tells me I can't help but think anything that puts out that much heat cannot be a good thing.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6,904 of 12,748

So, I'm considering buying my end-game rig..I have the LCD-X, and right now, I have the Gustard H10 and the Gustard x20u DAC on the way.  I think I'm just going to take the plunge but don't want to spend much more than 4500 or so for a DAC and amp.  I've read a lot about the Yggdrasil being one the best DACs for the money and the GSX MKII seems to be highly regarded as an amp (I prefer solid state).  I'm looking for that 'headphones disappear' moment.  I can also wait a bit longer if there are some highly anticipated products coming out or if I need to spend a little bit more.

Thoughts????

We appear to be following similar paths.  I am 2/3 of the way to my end-game rig.  I have the LCD-X and a Auralic Vega.  I too am using a Gustard H10 and while it sounds great I am fairly sure the H10 is not on the same plane as the rest.  I am considering an ETHER as a complement to the X but the Vega is a keeper.  Until last week my end-game amp was goin to be a Woo WA-5LE(I know you said SS).  Last week Woo announced revisions to the WA-5 along with a nearly $1000 price increase so more thought is needed on that piece of equipment.  I am now considering the Taurus or a Cavalii Liquid Crimson.  My experience with the Yggdrasil was not positive.  I found it to be overly bright and that thing is an absolute oven.  Despite what everybody tells me I can't help but think anything that puts out that much heat cannot be a good thing.

I loved the Liquid Crimson.

You can check out the review here:

http://headphone.guru/cavalli-audio-liquid-crimson-and-fire-became-crimson/

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,905 of 12,748

I had a Meridian Director DAC and returned it because it was too bright (or so I thought).  I then did some opamp rolling and with the AD797 op amps, the sound isn't bright anymore, but the mids are a bit too forward IMO.  The fact that the opamps completely change the sound signature of the amp is a struggle for me.  It completely reinforces the 'synergy' aspect of the whole system (amp, dac and phones).  Now that I returned the Director, I can't help but wonder how it would have sounded now with the different opamp.  Sigh.  Every higher quality DAC (than my Nuforce HDP) resulted in overly bright sound for me with the LCD-X.  I'm now starting to think the H10 is the problem with the brightness.  I like the concept of the Auralic pair - one would think they'll have good synergy together being from the same manufacturer, but just not sure how they'll pair up with the X.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6,906 of 12,748

Thoughts????

-The Benchmark DAC2.

Priced somewhere around the $2k mark depending on version, the DAC is as good as they get (and fully buzzword-compliant - it even does DSD), the headphone amp can drive anything bar electrostats, the pre-amp is excellent (albeit with a rather slightly funky user interface) and it is built like a tank. It is even made in the USA, if that matters to you. :)

I use mine with the LCD-X and while it doesn't always make the headphones disappear, it consistently and reliably makes the rest of the chain from source to headphones disappear; all that matters is the quality of the recording and the quality of the headphones (which, incidentally, we know to be excellent!).

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #6,907 of 12,748

Thoughts????

John, I'm running the Gungnir MB + Bryston BHA-1 into my LCD-X.  Sounds great.
You should read the new posts on the Gumby before jumping onto the Yggr.  Would leave more cash for a better amp :).

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #6,908 of 12,748
  Agreed for my personal tastes. But for people who enjoy that warm intimate sound, that kind of amp will emphasis that aspect of the LCD-X. I think the strength of the LCD-X is that aspect of its sound, so good complimentary pairing. If not really looking for a slightly dark and intimate sound, going in a different direction with your headphone purchase may be more prudent. The LCD-X does have a little bit of nice treble sparkle though, so don't think that they are just oozing warmth.

Well said.  Folks that want a warmer sound may prefer the LCD-2F or certainly the 3F.  The X and XC have a brighter presentation.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6,909 of 12,748

Thoughts????

I like the Simaudio Moon 430HAD. It’s a really nice AMP and DAC combo. Audio GD Master 9 (AMP only) is likewise a very good, and is cheaper than the Simaudio Moon 430HA (AMP only).

I haven’t heard the Master 11 (AMP+DAC) but quite a few seems to like it and the price is less than the Master 7 (DAC only).

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #6,910 of 12,748
The Moon 430HA pairs wonderfully with the LCD-X's. I love the combo. It is my SS/Planar reference rig.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #6,911 of 12,748
  The Moon 430HA pairs wonderfully with the LCD-X's. I love the combo. It is my SS/Planar reference rig.

I like the Simaudio Moon 430HAD. It’s a really nice AMP and DAC combo. Audio GD Master 9 (AMP only) is likewise a very good, and is cheaper than the Simaudio Moon 430HA (AMP only).

I haven’t heard the Master 11 (AMP+DAC) but quite a few seems to like it and the price is less than the Master 7 (DAC only).

You guys got my attention with the 430.  At this price point, I'm assuming that good transparency and substantial soundstage are a given?

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #6,912 of 12,748

You guys got my attention with the 430.  At this price point, I'm assuming that good transparency and substantial soundstage are a given?

Yes...Check out the review link in my signature....

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #6,913 of 12,748
Review looks great. It looks like a dealer about an hour away carries it. I'm going to have to audition!

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6,914 of 12,748
Review looks great. It looks like a dealer about an hour away carries it. I'm going to have to audition!

Bring your wallet...
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,915 of 12,748
  Vali is absolutely no go with LCD-X. At 22 ohms, that's getting close to speaker current demands. Vali did not handle that well. LCD-X on Vali is a slow bassy mess. 

Mojo brings LCD-X alive.

I just thought I'd grave-dig this comment to say that I actually really enjoy the way the LCD-X's sound out of the Vali. I love how warm and bassy the sound is (while still being clear and musical). It's great how we can make our music sound so different, depending how we feel :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back