Audeze LCD-X
Aug 27, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #6,886 of 12,748
Doesn't fit with attached cables, does it?

I really dislike that the original Audeze Pelicase (?) can't be closed with attached cables and iIrc, the wooden Audeze box doesn't either. That's why I store them in the white cardboard box with the golden Audeze seal they came in (as I don't want any of my headphones (especially the ones with velour pads) to attract dust, I even store most of them in labelled shoe-boxes - not very presentable, but extremely functional. Though, I'm still planning to make custom boxes, but lack time and especially necessity).

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #6,887 of 12,748
Doesn't fit with attached cables, does it?

I really dislike that the original Audeze Pelicase (?) can't be closed with attached cables and iIrc, the wooden Audeze box doesn't either. That's why I store them in the white cardboard box with the golden Audeze seal they came in (as I don't want any of my headphones (especially the ones with velour pads) to attract dust, I even store most of them in labelled shoe-boxes - not very presentable, but extremely functional. Though, I'm still planning to make custom boxes, but lack time and especially necessity).

I agree, it would be nice if they fit with attached cables.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,889 of 12,748
  I've been very lucky with my LCD2.2's and have had no problems in years.  However the stock 1/4" cable that came with it did have a bent plug right out of the box and was pretty annoying for that price point.

Really been tempted to get a pair of the LCD-X's or 3's lately as I love the sound, yet and every time I consider it I read so many quality issues.  There must be at least one post a day on the X or 3 threads about drivers randomly failing, and not even on older models...like stuff that's 1 month old.

Same thing here exactly. My LCD-2.2 (purchased December 2011) has been working fine with no issues and are used on average 12 hours a week but sometimes more. I'm very interested in the LCD-X as I know it will sound great with my Violectric V200 but feel I may screw myself selling these if I wind up with a problem and have to wait months for it to return to me. I can't afford both so it's a risk (and what would be the point as the LCD-2 would never be used). Decisions, decisions.
blink.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #6,890 of 12,748

Same thing here exactly. My LCD-2.2 (purchased December 2011) has been working fine with no issues and are used on average 12 hours a week but sometimes more. I'm very interested in the LCD-X as I know it will sound great with my Violectric V200 but feel I may screw myself selling these if I wind up with a problem and have to wait months for it to return to me. I can't afford both so it's a risk (and what would be the point as the LCD-2 would never be used). Decisions, decisions.
blink.gif

Imo the X's sound better when paired with a less warm/intimate amp.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6,891 of 12,748
  Imo the X's sound better when paired with a less warm/intimate amp.

Agreed for my personal tastes. But for people who enjoy that warm intimate sound, that kind of amp will emphasis that aspect of the LCD-X. I think the strength of the LCD-X is that aspect of its sound, so good complimentary pairing. If not really looking for a slightly dark and intimate sound, going in a different direction with your headphone purchase may be more prudent. The LCD-X does have a little bit of nice treble sparkle though, so don't think that they are just oozing warmth.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #6,892 of 12,748
Well, I just want more of that great Audeze sound, but better. I love the warm, vinyl like sound of the LCD-2 on my system and I want to keep that but have it improved. I've read posts of several people saying the v200 paired good with it.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #6,894 of 12,748
  LCD-X + WA7/tp plays this track like a total boss...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU8slEG-OtM

Love the depth and authority in the bass line 
o2smile.gif

Yup. Just listened with my new Black Dragon cable. SO good.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #6,895 of 12,748
  LCD-X + WA7/tp plays this track like a total boss...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU8slEG-OtM

Love the depth and authority in the bass line 
o2smile.gif

I bet that's a great rig you got there, man 
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #6,897 of 12,748
yeah the D100 front end doesn't hurt either :beerchug:  

Heck yeah...That is one beautiful piece of gear. One of these days Ill own something from McIntosh...have admired their stuff for literally decades.

BTW guys, you were right about the Lohb strap. Ive never been bothered by the weight of these like some of you guys have, but I gotta admit, this strap does improve comfort by a significant margin. I dont notice the headband at all now...ive been wearing them for 3.5 Hr as Im writing this and the comfort is superb. They actually feel quite a bit more secure on my head now, too. Audeze is foolish not to provide something like this as an option. As Lohb proved, it can be a very simple solution. Until Audeze does get off their butts and do something, Ill echo the same advice you all gave me...send Lohb your money!

Also, there is a music app on Roku (and other places as well) called "Soma". Some of the channels on here sound unbelievably good on the Xs. Im not even sure its 320kbps, but it sounds phenomenal! Its like LCD food.

Focker OUT

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #6,898 of 12,748
Just got the Forza Audioworks Hybrid Series HPC cable. Loving the portability factor!

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #6,899 of 12,748
So, I'm considering buying my end-game rig..I have the LCD-X, and right now, I have the Gustard H10 and the Gustard x20u DAC on the way.  I think I'm just going to take the plunge but don't want to spend much more than 4500 or so for a DAC and amp.  I've read a lot about the Yggdrasil being one the best DACs for the money and the GSX MKII seems to be highly regarded as an amp (I prefer solid state).  I'm looking for that 'headphones disappear' moment.  I can also wait a bit longer if there are some highly anticipated products coming out or if I need to spend a little bit more.

The Auralic Vega/Taurus combo looks interesting too.

Thoughts????

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #6,900 of 12,748
  So, I'm considering buying my end-game rig..I have the LCD-X, and right now, I have the Gustard H10 and the Gustard x20u DAC on the way.  I think I'm just going to take the plunge but don't want to spend much more than 4500 or so for a DAC and amp.  I've read a lot about the Yggdrasil being one the best DACs for the money and the GSX MKII seems to be highly regarded as an amp (I prefer solid state).  I'm looking for that 'headphones disappear' moment.  I can also wait a bit longer if there are some highly anticipated products coming out or if I need to spend a little bit more.

The Auralic Vega/Taurus combo looks interesting too.

Thoughts????

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

This isn't aimed at you John but the fact people are charging that much in the first place is just criminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back