Audeze LCD-X
Jul 9, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #6,706 of 12,748
  There are no reproducible peer-reviewed results that indicate that cable material makes any difference whatsoever.  That should tell you what you need to know.

Rational reasons to buy a replacement cable include comfort, getting a customized length, and aesthetics.  I bought one for these reasons.

I politely disaggree.  I bought the Wywires Red and immediately noticed an opening in the treble and stage of my Xs.  On a sidenote, I noticed a great upswing in the sound of my 846s from the Ted Alan silver lids.  I'm in the pro-aftermarket cable upgrade camp.  I'm a piano tuner and take great care of my hearing.  IMHO

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #6,707 of 12,748
  I politely disaggree.  I bought the Wywires Red and immediately noticed an opening in the treble and stage of my Xs.  On a sidenote, I noticed a great upswing in the sound of my 846s from the Ted Alan silver lids.  I'm in the pro-aftermarket cable upgrade camp.  I'm a piano tuner and take great care of my hearing.  IMHO

I'm sure you think you hear a difference.  I direct you to our Sound Science forum for further discussion, so we can keep this thread happily on topic as we enjoy as LCD-Xs.  :)

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #6,708 of 12,748
I know a CIEM manufacturer who found a measurable difference in sound (frequency response) with IEMs that have a varying impedance respoonse (such as all Multi-BA IEMs). My guess is that it has most likely to do with the change of the impedance before the drivers due to the cable (that's also why such IEMs and headphones with varying impedance will sound different depending on the source's output impedance).

Though there might be no measurable difference with headphones and IEMs with flat impedance response (I am no cable guy either, provided the cables have got minimum of quality and are not complete junk), as audio perception is highly subjective, I neither despise nor value people whose opinions are different than mine and am not trying to missionize anyone (<- trying this in my circle of acquaintances in the past has led to a certain loss of my high esteem), as this is a personal, subjective and emotional hobby and each one has a point.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #6,709 of 12,748

I'm sure you think you hear a difference.  I direct you to our Sound Science forum for further discussion, so we can keep this thread happily on topic as we enjoy as LCD-Xs.  :)

We've been talking about cables for the last several posts.  I trust my ears: not the egoists in the science bitchslap forums. 
And why did you wait till my post to forse us off the current topic?
I stand by this cable topic and what I said.
Unsubbing.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #6,710 of 12,748
  Hi all,

Just put in my order for the LCD-X's a couple of days ago... $1529 on AudioGeeks during their 2-day sale :D Hoping that this will be a good step up from my PSB M4U1's driven directly from my Macbook Pro.

I've been looking up amp/DACs to use along with the LCD-X; after some researching, I found the iFi iDSD Micro... any thoughts on how this pairs with the LCD-X? I'm looking for $500 or less, so I wouldn't be able to go for the Hugo, Burson [blah], or Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir.

Karthik

Hi Karthik,
A simple upgrade to your Macbook's sound would be the Audio Quest Dragonfly DAC.  A big SQ improvement over the computer's built-in DAC.
For cables, that came up later in the thread, my only experience with aftermarket cables are the Wywires Red that are much better than the stock Audez'e cables.

Happy Listening,
RCB

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6,711 of 12,748

Unsubbing.

popcorn.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #6,712 of 12,748
  I know a CIEM manufacturer who found a measurable difference in sound (frequency response) with IEMs that have a varying impedance respoonse (such as all Multi-BA IEMs). My guess is that it has most likely to do with the change of the impedance before the drivers due to the cable (that's also why such IEMs and headphones with varying impedance will sound different depending on the source's output impedance).

+1 

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #6,713 of 12,748
  Hi Karthik,
A simple upgrade to your Macbook's sound would be the Audio Quest Dragonfly DAC.  A big SQ improvement over the computer's built-in DAC.
For cables, that came up later in the thread, my only experience with aftermarket cables are the Wywires Red that are much better than the stock Audez'e cables.

Happy Listening,
RCB

HRT microStreamer similar price/size with TI chip will sound more natural... lower-end sabre stuff have issuezzzz.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #6,714 of 12,748

We've been talking about cables for the last several posts.  I trust my ears: not the egoists in the science bitchslap forums. 
Unsubbing.

Don’t let the naysayer force you out of this thread. They are showing up EVERYWERE and think that they have the correct answer and the right to preach it, often without even testing/hearing the gear we are talking about (role nr1). Some of them don’t believe in SQ difference in DACs others in AMPs and others in cables. That’s ok by me.

Why they feel the need to ventilate there disbelief of gear they have not heard I cannot understand. It’s like I would I say something about a headphone or speakers I haven’t heard.  

If they really believed in the “science” they so often refer to they should be perfectly happy with gears that can be bought at prices far lower than what we are talking about here. Philips for example makes some nice hifi gear with good quality that also measuring well.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #6,715 of 12,748

Unsubbing.

Don’t let the naysayer force you out of this thread. They are showing up EVERYWERE and think that they have the correct answer and the right to preach it, often without even testing/hearing the gear we are talking about (role nr1). Some of them don’t believe in SQ difference in DACs others in AMPs and others in cables. That’s ok by me.

Why they feel the need to ventilate there disbelief of gear they have not heard I cannot understand. It’s like I would I say something about a headphone or speakers I haven’t heard.  

If they really believed in the “science” they so often refer to they should be perfectly happy with gears that can be bought at prices far lower than what we are talking about here. Philips for example makes some nice hifi gear with good quality that also measuring well.

Thanks, arcticnoise.  I'm staying right here. Won't let a troll push me around again.

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #6,716 of 12,748
"Don’t let the naysayer force you out of this thread. They are showing up EVERYWERE and think that they have the correct answer and the right to preach it, often without even testing/hearing the gear we are talking about (role nr1). Some of them don’t believe in SQ difference in DACs others in AMPs and others in cables. That’s ok by me.

If they really believed in the “science” they so often refer to they should be perfectly happy with gears that can be bought at prices far lower than what we are talking about here. Philips for example makes some nice hifi gear with good quality that also measuring well."

+1.

They always seem to crawl out of the woodwork when anyone has a opinion on SQ and cables.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #6,717 of 12,748
Thanks, arcticnoise.  I'm staying right here. Won't let a troll push me around again.

-It would probably be better to ask via PM, but I've never been the brightest of bulbs, so here goes - would you say that the definition of 'troll' is 'someone who disagrees with my opinion'?

The point I am clumsily trying to make is that calling someone a troll with all the associations that entails shouldn't be done lightly.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,718 of 12,748

-It would probably be better to ask via PM, but I've never been the brightest of bulbs, so here goes - would you say that the definition of 'troll' is 'someone who disagrees with my opinion'?

The point I am clumsily trying to make is that calling someone a troll with all the associations that entails shouldn't be done lightly.

I aggree with you.  But, when someone says, loosly quoted, 'you may think you're right but you're wrong,'  I think that's trolling.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #6,720 of 12,748
Objectivist vs Subjectivist...The eternal disagreement.One persons' "The number's don't lie" vs the others "I can hear the difference in spite of your numbers"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back