Audeze LCD-X
Mar 5, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #6,106 of 12,748
Hey fellas this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question: Essentially...why do Audeze headphones sound bad to me? I've listened to basically all of them and every single model has the same problem: dull, veiled treble and vocals lacking intimacy. The bass is nice, though!

I'm not trying to stir up anything! I am sincerely wondering if something is amiss. Am I the only person who has felt this way? Am I just used to how dynamics sound? I am truly bewildered when someone describes an Audeze headphone as having "sparkle"

The amps I tried with them were the Sennheiser HDVA600, Headroom BUDA, and Marantz HD-DAC1. These aren't exactly speaker amps but I figured at least the XC would sound good out of one of them.

Used various sufficient sources.

Thanks for any of you who respond!

Of the amps you mention, I have direct experience only with the HDVA600.  I agree with you - my LCD-X and XC sound terrible with that amp.  No sparkle at all.  The mids/treble are veiled, muddy and not listenable.  My guess (?) is the poor sound is not because the HDVA600 lacks power, but that the amp was designed by Sennheiser to drive the 300-ohm HD800 (which it does well).  Your inventory shows the Asgard2 - that amp should pair better with the LCD headphones.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #6,107 of 12,748

If you see any of his headphones for sale on the classifieds, buy at your own risk! 

Oh hell no - these would be the most sellable headphones in all of Head-fi. Imagine the cables PURRR-FECTLY broken in. Every ion aimed in the same direction... getting the FULL value from the cables. Just imagine the joy a cable fanatic will have with these. 

A most excellent offering potkettleblack, if not a bit err "seasoned". But what lengths we will all go to to get us some perfect cables.

I may have to season mine as well like that. If so, potkettleblack and I could start our own seasoning business. I'll bet we could get more than $500 to break in others cables using this "special sauce" formula. And I'll bet potkettleblack could come up with a VERY special breakin formula that we could sell for only $600 per breakin. (I only want 10% to rep the deals for you potkettleblack - well, unless I help break them in too). LOL

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #6,108 of 12,748
  Oh hell no - these would be the most sellable headphones in all of Head-fi. Imagine the cables PURRR-FECTLY broken in. Every ion aimed in the same direction... getting the FULL value from the cables. Just imagine the joy a cable fanatic will have with these. 

A most excellent offering potkettleblack, if not a bit err "seasoned". But what lengths we will all go to to get us some perfect cables.

I may have to season mine as well like that. If so, potkettleblack and I could start our own seasoning business. I'll bet we could get more than $500 to break in others cables using this "special sauce" formula. And I'll bet potkettleblack could come up with a VERY special breakin formula that we could sell for only $600 per breakin. (I only want 10% to rep the deals for you potkettleblack - well, unless I help break them in too). LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWVaTX_OzBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAonRSaYAyM

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #6,110 of 12,748
Hi guys. My LCD-X is arriving tomorrow. It's shipped from Costa Mesa, CA (by Audeze, of course
wink_face.gif
).

smile_phones.gif
So good to have you home again...

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #6,111 of 12,748
Just installed the vegan pads and headband on the LCD-X.  Can't swear the sound is appreciably different.  Might be a little more open, but it's within the placebo effect margin of error.

I will say that for me they are immediately more comfortable, and I'd recommend them for anyone purchasing the headphones.  And I'm not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but the process is very easily and best illustrated by Audeze here in a private YT video:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_SN_p6Cdm2NZW1HeVRMNDBiTnc/edit

This is far simpler than some of the other instructions that a Google search turns up.

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #6,113 of 12,748
I just received those "headbands" for LCD.   I will let you know if they really improve the confort when...I receive my LCD-X that is still on order now.

Now, can someone tell me where I can buy "vegan pads" at a Reasonable price ? 

thanks

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #6,114 of 12,748
I also tried those headbands. Imo the leather ist too thick and inflexible and the overall strap was a bit too short for my head. I think it is a very good idea but there is some room for improvement. A thin and flexible leather pad like stax headphones have would be better imo and also the lenght of the pad has to be adjusted to the head size because otherwise the pressure shifts to the top of the earpads.

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #6,115 of 12,748
  Just installed the vegan pads and headband on the LCD-X.  Can't swear the sound is appreciably different.  Might be a little more open, but it's within the placebo effect margin of error.

I will say that for me they are immediately more comfortable, and I'd recommend them for anyone purchasing the headphones.  And I'm not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but the process is very easily and best illustrated by Audeze here in a private YT video:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_SN_p6Cdm2NZW1HeVRMNDBiTnc/edit

This is far simpler than some of the other instructions that a Google search turns up.

Really appreciate you posting this.

I think I'll be getting the vegan headband soon. The leather one needs adjusting every hour for me to relieve a bit of pressure, though on a whole I find it very comfortable. Improvement is improvement though..

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #6,117 of 12,748
  I just received those "headbands" for LCD.   I will let you know if they really improve the confort when...I receive my LCD-X that is still on order now.

Now, can someone tell me where I can buy "vegan pads" at a Reasonable price ? 

thanks

they do!! gets rid of the annoying bumps on the stock headband and suspension design distributes the weight better and makes the lcd-x feel much lighter! i've been using it for a few days now, will write up a review later after some more time, but this product has worked wonders for the comfort for me. better than the selt belt wrap mod suggestion.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #6,118 of 12,748
Just got my LCD-X today. 

Here are a few initial thoughts after about an hour of listening.

What a beautiful presentation! The box for travel is a full on professional grade box. I love Audeze's attention to detail on everything from the packaging to the headphones themselves.

The end of the 1/4 in. cable is solid and luxurious feeling. Having the cables connect to both ear pieces is taking a bit to get used to. When it only connects to one, it is easy to move the cable out of the way. Still, very nice - and great attention to detail.

I've listened to them for an hour or so. They are a definite step up from my Mad Dog Pro headphones which are closed. They cost 3 times what the MDP costs. I would not say they are 3 x better. But they are definitely better.

Now I see why people told me to go with an Open Headphone if at all I could. That was a great choice.

They are bigger. Wow, they are big - the ear pieces are large. And quite comfortable for me. Though I'd say the MDP is maybe even more comfortable with the leather on the ears. Maybe these will get better as they break in. 

The weight seems irrelevant. They are definitely not real heavy feeling to me. But I'm used to a motorcycle helmet.

Sometimes I can actually feel the air hitting my inner ears - at least that's what it feels like. There is almost like a suction to them. 

The first song I listed to was Long After You're Gone, by Chris Jones. When it started I was a little concerned as it was much brighter than I'm used to. But then the bass kicked in a few seconds into the song and good grief it is fantastic.

As I've been listening, the highs are more clear than with the MDP. Like a veil has been removed. Overall I like it. But I have heard a few songs where there is noise that I never noticed before - like poor production quality. So they are definitely revealing more of what's in the music.

The bass does not seem exaggerated to me at all. When it's not there in a song, it doesn't sound like it's attempting to make it bassier. But when it is there, wow it is good. Controlled, deep and musical. 

Another thing is the sound stage is bigger on the LCD-X than the MDP. More a sense of being 3D. Like all the music has room for itself and isn't squished. 

Just now listening to Petrichor by Recondite in the background, I heard some tapping sounds that sounded like they were coming from behind me. I started to look but realized it was the song as it was rhythmic. The song was low so probably would have recognized it had it been louder. But the stage is big with things sounding like they are coming from around me not just from the center of my head. My MDP also did some of that, but not nearly this much.

Again, the highs are more clear with the LCD-X.

These will be a true joy to use for my mixing and in that regard a real big step up from the MDP.

Again I'll say that I really like my Mad Dog Pro's. If I had a limited budget, I could be very happy with just those. The LCD-X is a very nice step up and will be very helpful for my mixing. It is a brighter can than the MDP but balanced, at least to my ears. I really like the extra brightness. Removing the veil seems like a big difference, the more I listen. 

These are just my preliminary thoughts as I've had now about 2 hours listening. Even as I write this, I felt compelled to stop and listen occasionally as the sound is amazingly good.

I have not done any reviews and I'm not an audiophile just a guy who loves music. So someone who knows more than me feel free to tell me what I can do to improve my word choices. I have tried to keep this sounding the way I would want to read.

A big thanks to Greenkiwi for helping me to evaluate what I want and need.

I'm leaving for a few days so will leave them playing in case there is something to the concept of break in with these. 

As I get more time with them, I'll definitely share more of my thoughts.

By the way, one more thing... they come with a 1/4 to mini plug converter cable. I used it to plug into my Galaxy Note 3. It definitely will drive the LCD-X but lacks a lot compared to going through the amp. I had to turn the setting for the equalizer to flat as I hated the sound with it on. But it works. Nice.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #6,119 of 12,748
Don't know if you said but what kind of amp/DAC are you using with them ?

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #6,120 of 12,748
Don't know if you said but what kind of amp/DAC are you using with them ?

I probably should have said, but didn't because it's in my sig. Schiit stack - Asgard 2/Uberfrost and Wyrd. Thanks for asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back